Tue, Sep 24, 3:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 2:15 pm)

Subject: Switching From Pc to Mac

Eral ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 9:31 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 1:23 PM

I'm presently swiching over to a Mac but have over a dvd worth of poser objs in PC format. Any simple way of moving them over to the Mac?

Triarius ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 9:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.soft-rabbit.com

Oh, FRAK!! dropped a hyphen in the first URL! Run them through MartinC's MacConverter. Congratulations on turning to the Light ;oD (Triarius ducks and runs as the PC types pelt him with over-ripe fruit)

chud ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 10:37 PM

Amen, brother!

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 11:38 PM

Glad to have you join us - come into the light. Don't worry about the obj files - you'll have no trouble. Say goodbye to viruses, trojans, worms, spyware and monthly "hard disk crashes".

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 2:07 AM

(chucks a moldy old apple at Triarus) heh Only thing that's keeping me with the darkside is the amount of PC software I have, no emulators are not the answer they just use up memory the program could use better.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 5:48 AM

Welcome to the group! :) First, go get Martin's programs to convert and install your files, and give him a tip of the hat and word of thanks for making our lives so much easier. MacConverter puts the right luggage tags on the files so that Poser will open them. MacInstaller will decode pcfs automatically and checks for required prior installations. The best part is now YOU get to control your library layout and tell MacInstaller where YOU want things put. :) I will make the folders in Runtime before opening MacInstaller, but this allows me to organize them. Second, beware of long file names, especially on textures. I don't think OSX has the same problem, but OS9 has a 31 character limit. (If you can't name a texture or prop or file in 31 characters, the fuzzy logic isn't inside the computer?) A corallary to this is that some people who have made CDs of Poser goodies burn them with whatever application came on their computer system and they are not jolietted properly for reading across platforms. The Mac will try to read the file name as a DOS name! (This includes a couple of famous and generous people around this part of the woods.) VistaInternetProducts has a link to the joliet decoder site (I don't know if off the top of my head). A properly burnt CD can be read on any computer, if yours won't read, you will need the decoder. I'm not sure about moving DVDs from machine to machine. My Mac will read PC-only DVDs (that is my only way of watching movies since I do not have a TV). This 4-year old Mac has some movie making software on it. The newer ones come with even spiffier stuff, so you ought to be able to take any Poser animations you may have and make and burn small movies natively should you so desire. If you have cross-over cables, or aethernet with a hub, you ought to be able to transfer the bulk of your files directly without having to burn everything. OTOH, if you do make CDs, you also are making a backup! :) If you stick a PC-formatted zip disk into a Mac it will identify it as a PC disk, and open it cheerfully. PhotoShop files open just fine on either machine, for example. If you stick a Mac disk into a PC, the PC gets all snotty unless you buy some software for recognition. So even though I do all of my graphics on the MAC, I realize that this is a PC-centric world and send them out on PC disks or in PC format. As you may have gathered, there are enough of us here, so that if you have specific questions, just raise a hand and we'll try to help. Carolly

Graviton ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 6:53 AM

Welcome to the club.

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

mikes ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 7:34 AM

Your life has suddenly become less complicated! Check the Macintosh Forum in the Topic links to the right.------>

MarianneR ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 9:12 AM
Online Now!

My Mac (Panther 10.3.3) burns CD:s that my old pc (Windows 98) happily reads. The Finder does it, no extra software is necessary. Also, I can't remember having any trouble reading pc-made CD:s on it.

gryffnn ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 12:24 PM

Congratulations! If you have PC .exe files (such as DAZ installers), they won't run on your Mac. So do a manual install into a folder on your PC, and then move them over. StuffIt Expander 7 handles PC .zip files (such as PoserWorld files), but I don't know of any Mac app. that will let you pull the contents out of an .exe installer. And be aware that, while you're safe from pretty much all the viruses, you can pass some on to customers, etc. via things like Word macros. HTH - Elisa/gryffnn

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 5:39 PM

Another thing you can kiss goodbye is the 256 file limit in poser libraries

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

flip ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 7:15 PM

welcome !!!! 2 months from now you'll NEVER want to go back!

pobble ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2004 at 2:04 AM

Just a comment: for Daz Studio on the Mac you don't have to convert any files. You can just copy over the whole Runtime directory (I think) and DS will be as happy as it can be, given its beta state right now. I think the same goes for P5, but I may be wrong on this point. Enjoy the Mac!

sdittemore ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2004 at 12:45 PM

Welcome... I knew you could be turned from the dark side!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.