Fri, Sep 20, 2:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: 20mm lens

MrMichael ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2004 at 2:00 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:13 PM

Since I'm still afraid to get a zoom lens because of the soft pictures, I would like to get a nice wide angle lens for my camera (10D).

So far, the options are the Sigma 1.8 and the Canon 2.8. I've checked out some of the reviews on the pcphotoreview.com website and they're both rated the same. I know I can't be all stuck up on the camera manufacture's brand, but I'm not sure about going with an off-brand lens either. In this case, both lenses look great, but I'd lean towards the Sigma 1.8 because of the extra 2.5 f-stops... most lenses aren't their sharpest wide open anyway, so maybe 2.8 on the Sigma would beat the wide open 2.8 on the Canon?

I wish I were around a store or something to compare the lenses myself, but I don't have that liberty.

Thanks,

Michael

MGD ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2004 at 3:23 PM

file_107838.jpg

> zoom lens because of the soft pictures I wasn't aware that a zoom lens would always give soft focus. Here is an example ... seems that a lot of detail is available. Conditions: Late spring; late afternoon. Equipment: Canon A1, Canon 70-210mm zoom + skylight filter, Bogen 3051 tripod + 3047 head. Emulsion: Kodak Royal 400-2; Automatic exposure. After processing the roll, the local photoshop gave me JPEGs on a CD in addition to 4x6 semi glossy -- they didn't know how to give me TIFF or RAW format. If these images don't give you enough information to make a decision, please let me know and I will upload as 2 images -- remember also that in the forum, we are limited to 200MBy per image while in the galleries, the limit is 500MBy. MGD

MGD ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2004 at 3:29 PM

BTW, the image title is, "Titicus at the Edge -- Above and Below" (maybe caption applies to only to a link) MGD

Misha883 ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2004 at 6:26 PM

Lots of interesting information in this link... In general, zoom lenses are a compromise from primes. But this generality in no way means that ALL zoom lenses are worse than ALL primes. Or that there are not excellent zooms, and poor primes. Canon is very good about providing MTF "sharpness" data on all of their lenses (on Canon website). I also had a link to a 3rd party lab which publishes MTF data from many lenses. Right at the moment this link is lost somewhere in my computer, but some google searching should locate the site. I really like my Sigma 20mm. Can't say really if I'd like the Canon more or less. There are some test sharpness shots hiding somewhere here in the Forum. Search for "Lens Test," should turn up something.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2004 at 9:25 PM

I believe Misha may be talking about photodo.com?

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

DHolman ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2004 at 3:29 AM

Nah ... I remember the thread(s). There's a few here in the forum. Think Misha did one with his Wide angle lens last year. I'm tired, have been in the dark for a week and it's my Monday back at work, but isn't f/1.8 to f/2.8 only a 1-1/3 stop difference? I always have trouble calculating stops off odd numbers for some reason. shrug In the past, I've used Sigma lenses, but the more I've used the 10D the more I've gravitated to Canon lenses. First is the compatiablity. I would have a cow if in the future one of my lenses suddenly became incompatiable with my camera ( alot of Sigma and Tokina lens owners found that their older lenses don't work with newer EOS cameras and many of them can't be "re-chipped" to work right). I think the question really becomes, what can you live with?

Misha883 ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2004 at 8:26 AM

'chelle is correct about the MTF site. [Unfortunately, no information there about the Sigma.] Somewhere in our Forum is my informal test.

MrMichael ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2004 at 10:27 AM

file_107839.jpg

@Misha883:

Yeah, I found your post. The pictures look good and it seems you enjoy the lens, right? The picture I've attached is the one you posted with a white box to show a 1.6x crop (I think I did it right) that I would see on my 10D. With the crop, I don't think I would see any barrel distortion at all on my camera. I might see if I can make into a shop that has the lens and test it out before buying it. If you have any other experiences with the lens that you'd like to share, please do.

Thank you very much,

Michael

Misha883 ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2004 at 1:30 PM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.