Wed, Oct 2, 10:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Poser 5 bmps to BUMs

LanceB ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2004 at 11:09 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 8:50 AM

I keep hearing that I don't have to convert bumps to BUMs with Poser 5. But whenever I load a texture that has not been converted to a BUM, Poser 5 just spins on forever looking for the non-existent BUM. I then have to shut down Poser 5 and start up Poser 4 to create the BUMs before they will work. What am I missing here? Lance

Skidlicious ( ) posted Mon, 03 May 2004 at 11:32 PM

when it asks where the yadda.BUM is just select the .jpg or what ever with the same name. ie v3bodyb.BUM would now be v3bodyb.jpg and it will work. or should....

LanceB ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 12:00 AM

Thanks Skidlicious, I've tried waiting the 3 or more minutes for poser to tell me that it can't find the bum and then wait the next 2 minutes to load after I direct it to the jpg but that is a long wait for something that should happen instantly when the bum is available. Any other ideas? Does it take this long for everyone? I have a fast computer with 1GB of RAM, what takes it so long to find the bump file? Lance

Skidlicious ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 12:07 AM

nice ram. ya that's wierd. hmmmm all I can say is take the long way and save the charcters

Ajax ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 12:19 AM

Do yourself a favour and buy Correct Reference Pro by Hogwarden. You can run it on everything you install and it will take out all of the references to bum files and replace them with references to the equivalent jpg files, then Poser 5 will load them with no trouble at all. There's a demo version around too if you want to try before you buy (generally a good idea).

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

Lord_Lucan ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 6:20 AM

I generally just replace the '.bum' with '.jpg' in a text editor (CR2, PP2 etc).

Ajax ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 7:56 AM

Yep. That's a good way too, though it's a bit slow if you have more than a few files to fix.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 8:02 AM

You can download the free version of CorrectReference Pro. It does a great job. CRPro handles duplicate file names and Geometry files, and allows many other great options. It's worth the investment.

Dave8 ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 8:04 AM

with sr4 it only takes poser 3 secs to ask for the file using amd 2800xp and 2 gig ram

LanceB ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 10:08 PM

I downloaded Correct Reference Pro but alas it says in the instructions that you should not take out the references to bum files if you are running P4 and P5 runtimes together in Poser 5. But I believe I will have some other uses for this utility. I just downloaded sr4 and the 3 secs time to ask for a file sounds great. I may be slower with 1.9XP and 1 gig ram. Thanks for your help.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 10:09 AM

CorrectReference Pro (CRPro) is a fantastic tool. One of the biggest strengths is the Duplicate File finder. This feature is not found in the free version of CorrectReference (CR). As a result, CR can make mistakes when it comes to textures with simple names such as "white.jpg." CRPro checks for Geometry references. This feature is not in the free version of CR. Another great feature of CRPro is the ability to delete un-needed "rsr" or "png" thumbs. If you're running Poser 5 in its own runtime, you don't need the rsr thumbs. The thumbs actually get moved to a quarrantine folder, and you can get them back if you wish. CRPro allows you to select the following Repair Profiles, Poser 4, Poser 5, Manual Profile (my favorite) and "Dry Runs" for Poser 4 & Poser 5. The "Dry Runs" do not make any actual repairs. You can see a preview of what would be changed. I prefer to have a separate installation for Poser 4 and one for Poser 5. The reason is simple: I'd really rather use Poser 5 as my main Poser application. I just hate going through all that trouble of converting jpg bump maps to bum files. I hate the amount of hard drive space consumed by bum bump maps. But sometimes my computer is a bit over-burdened by Poser 5. So I resort to Poser 4 for the things that would bog down in Poser 5. I've spent a year looking over the Poser stuff, and actually redone my Poser installations a few times. Each time, the total number of installed files is greatly reduced. I recommend separate installations for Poser 4 & Poser 5. I don't install anything in Poser 5. (except some of those DAZ files for Vicki3, etc). I have separate runtimes for Vicki, Mike, scenes, etc. Poser 5 allows you to access external runtimes. This method makes working with Poser much easier.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.