Tue, Sep 24, 10:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Rendered image size vs. RAM

rainfrey ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2004 at 11:22 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 10:16 PM

Hi All,

I am trying to render a fairly simple image to a file for offset printing.

Size: 9 inches X 12 inches @ 300 DPI.

1. Render attempt on Application Computer

Vue says it needs 1GB+ free memory to render this image (machine only has 1 GB RAM total) and cannot proceed.

Whatever happened to virtual memory? Yes it's slow, but isn't my Windows XP Pro cache supposed to handle this? I have a 120 GB data drive with a system managed cache. Plenty of room. Performance monitor confirms that the cache is big enough, so that's not causing the hang.

1. HyperVue Network Render Attempt

I thought maybe a network render would work by breaking up the image into manageable chunks.

Render Cow on main machine crashes with Visual Basic C++ "abnormal termination" error message.

1. Single Cow Render Attempt

Tried to render on network box only in case the RCow on main machine was wiggy. I got the same C++ error over there.

Any ideas? Buying more PC 1066 RAMBUS memory for this one illustration is kind of out of the question. And I'm not totally convinced that will solve it anyway.

Any feedback appreciated.

R.

Come by and say "hello!"
http://rainer.us

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 1:36 AM

I had this problem too. You can add virtual memory in going into Control pannel--->System properties--->Advanced--->Parameters of Performances---Advanced--->Virtual Memory Modify Select the HD where your Vue is and bring it up to something like 1536 maximum size or more if needed. Guitta

rainfrey ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 2:17 AM

Thank you Guitta, both my harddrives have caches set at 2535 each -- that's 5070 MB total VM. I don't think that is the problem.

Come by and say "hello!"

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 6:16 AM

I ran into a similiar prob a few days ago. Did you try to render to disc instead of render to screen? That fixed my problem. Phil

rainfrey ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 1:14 PM

Thanks Phil, yes I did. No go . . . BTW, according to Task Manager this 30 MB Vue file blooms to 348 MB RAM when Vue loads it. Does that seems right?

Come by and say "hello!"

wabe ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 3:59 PM

i can imagine that this is ok. In a Vue file the textures are only "linked" in. If you load a Vue file the program has to load up all the textures as well - from the different locations on your disk. And this could be the problem here. Many high res textures that kill your memory. I heard from problems like that when high res Poser textures are involved. Would be great if you could give us some more informations about that.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

rainfrey ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 4:17 PM

Hi Wabe, In this particular Vue Pro file all the textures are incorporated -- not linked. It is a self-contained file of about 30 MB. The Poser file before import is about 28 MB. BTW, the original Poser file renders correctly in Poser at 300 DPI and 9" X 12" using the firefly engine. It's only Vue Pro that fails to render. R.

Come by and say "hello!"

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 5:48 PM

Like wabe said, Vue 4 cannot "incorporate" textures, it links them. For example, when you import your poser figure, it links to the location of the textures according to where the Poser program tells Vue to find them. The only textures that are incorporated into a Vue scene file are procedural textures, everything else is linked. Just clarifying. Hope you are able to figure out what the problem is, I've never had this problem with Vue running out of memory except when trying to do an animation that is too big for the hard drive space.

rainfrey ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2004 at 9:04 PM

Hi and thanks for taking time to comment.

I don't mean to be obstinate, but my copy of Vue Pro with Mover 5 very specifically has the option to "Incorporate All Texture Maps" and still retain a link to their source (only to check for changes) -- or break the link and use only the version stored inside the Vue file.

The results are quite evident in file sizes before and after "incorporation" of texture maps.

And after incorporating textures, they are no longer listed in the World Browser under "Imported Materials" - - - they instead appear under "Standard Materials."

If this is not "incorporating textures" then I am totally confused.

Please explain.

Oops! -- I just noticed that I neglected to mention I was using Vue Pro in my first post -- terribly sorry for that. I guess I thought my references to network rendering and Render Cows would make it obvious. Is that causing some confusion?

Come by and say "hello!"

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2004 at 10:17 AM

I see now, it looks like you're right about incorporating textures, I've just never bothered to use that feature in Pro, I've been using both Vue D'Esprit 4 and Vue 4 Pro (Esprit at home and Pro at work) and don't save objects out very often (which is where it prompts you if you want to incorporate materials). Just did some testing and it does seem to incorporate the texture, even if you delete the original source it still holds it as part of vue. Sorry about that, I'm still getting used to some of Pro's new features. I don't have any experience using render cows but it almost seems like it might be two different issues, have you tried the same settings with a different file to verify that it's something in the file or something in the program itself?

rainfrey ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2004 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback . . . I started using the incorporation feature during network rendering -- it seems to speed things up quite a bit since Vue does not have to collect textures before sending them to the other computers. It also eliminated some problems I was having with transparencies getting reversed on the network machine. As for the rest, I ran out of time and I am now piecing this together in Photoshop with parts rendered in different applications. Thank you all for your help, maybe I can attack this again on my next print project. R.

Come by and say "hello!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.