Fri, Sep 20, 2:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Looking for a new digital camera

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 7:11 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:17 PM

Hi, I am looking at the 8 mega-pixel range cameras. I had set my mind on a Sony F828 until I finally got to hold one. Maybe it was the security device, but the camera felt heavy and ackward to hold. Has anyone used one? If so, what do you think of it? Anyway, I am looking to spend between $700 to about a $1000. I did look at the Canon Rebel, but without any lenses it would take most of my budget. Also, it was only 6 mega pixels. Seeing as I could only afford one lens if I did go with a D-SLR, is this a better route, or should I go for higher mega-pixels fixed lens camera? Any recommendation on what would be the best bang for my bucks would be great! Thanks! Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Quinn ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 7:36 PM

Dont believe all the mega pixel hype. My camera only has 4 mega-pixel, but they are 4 very, very good mega-pixels and beats my 6 mega-pixel camera hands down. I havent looked at the Sony, but for the money Id go for the DSLR. I think the Rebel actually includes a lens for $1000. Then, after awhile, you decide you need a longer, shorter, better, lens, you can go out and get one. With the Sony, and others of the new 8 mega-pixel crop, you are stuck with the lens you have. Just my two cents worth. And I don't even shoot Cannon.

logiloglu ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 7:53 PM

Hi Peggy ! look at pimpol`s Gallery, he use a Sony 828.

zhounder ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 9:07 PM

I had a 707 for about 2 years and I loved it. If you check out my gallery 90% is from the Sony. Great camera but it was time for me to go to a DSLR and I went Nikon seeing I already had Nikon glass. Personally I am a Nikon snob but so far I am not overly impressed with the D70. I say go on ebay and go with a Nikon D100 kit that includes a lens. Just my $0.02 Magick Michael

Michelle A. ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 9:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony828.shtml

I have a friend who has the Sony 828 and he loves it, he's basically just a snap shooter, not into photography seriously. I've seen images he taken with it and it does a wonderful job. He let me play around with it a bit, and it seems like a nice camera. I myself find the body a bit awkward but those who use it seem to like the way it sits in the hand. I've also read this in reviews as well. Can't make any recommendations but if you're looking into 8 MP cameras, this article may help (linked above the 828)..... and below and final word on all the 8MP camera's tested. [ And The Winner Is](http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/choosing-8.shtml)

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

MrMichael ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 10:37 PM

I haven't checked it out much, but Canon has the Powershot Pro1 camera that's 8 megapixel for $1,000. Here are a few links for you to check out and decide for yourself:

Luminous-landscape review of Pro1

Digital Photography review of Pro1

PCphotoreview review of Pro1

Canon's Powershot Pro1 website

jchimim ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 6:48 AM

Attached Link: http://www.dpreview.com

Another great resource. They just did reviews of several 8Mpxl cameras. You can also get some great info in their forums (need to register, but they won't spam you.)

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 3:38 PM

So many choices!!! Ahhhhh! Well, I think I have narrowed it down to the Olympus C-8080 WZ, the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2, or if I can get the money a Nikon D70. What is leading me to lean toward the Nikon is I have a Nikon film camera with some fairly recent Nikon lens. Has anyone used a non-digital lens on a digital camera? Thanks for the help! Peggy

Nilla ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 4:57 PM

Peggy, As long as your lenses for the Nikon are AF, I do believe they will work on the D70. (ask the dealer where you are buying it from) Even some of the MF lenses work on them. I personally faced a similar situation recently and I went with the Nikon 8700 for the following reasons: The camera itself was under $1,000. I have No Nikon lenses for the D70 or D100. It was 8 megapixels. Nikon's reputation. It is compact and I can just basically point and shoot. I am on the go constantly with little time for set up. When I have time for setting up I take my Canon AE1 or FTBn. I bought a Lexar 1 gig compact flash card for less then $300. Basically I saved a little money not waiting on the D70 or D100 (they are both out of stock everywhere here), but do know, my next digital will be a new Nikon D SLR next year, when I have time to wait on one. The reason I did not go with a Minolta-Konica is very simple, I have many Minolta AF lenses that would go very nicely with a Minolta D SLR, but seeing as Minolta has been a total let down on coming out with their D SLR, I will never purchase another Minolta. I decided to go with the best there is... Nikon. Brenda :)

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 6:57 PM

OK, one last question... The two lens I have are a Nikon AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G and a Nikon AF NIKKOR 28-80 1:4-5.6D. The spec sheet for the D70 says it will work with with all type G or D AF NIKKOR lens. Does the G and D at the end of the lens description equal the lens type? I sure hope so as this will be the way I go if the lens will work with all functions. I know there are some conversion factors between film and digital lens. Is it 1.5 x 28mm = 42mm? If that's true, then I would need to get a wide angle lens. Thanks all for your help on this! Peggy

Michelle A. ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 7:55 PM

Yes, those lenses will work.... that's what the G and D stand for. :~) And the conversion factor is correct as well. This is a good thing if you want to boost your telephoto lenses... but a downer for the wide angle side of it... you will have to buy a very wide angle lens to get the 28mm comparitive that you seek. Roughly a 20mm will give you a focal length equivilant of a 30mm lens... 17mm would be better....

--- michelleamarante.com

DHolman ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2004 at 4:28 AM

Yea, what Michael said. Megapixels are not created equal. Or, maybe it's more correct to say that not all imaging sensors are created qually. The quality of the 8megapixel Canon EOS 1D Mark II blows the doors off of any consumer 8mp camera. In fact, most 6mp D-SLR's are way above the 8mp consumer cameras. Yup. Those lenses should work. And yes, the Nikon D100 and D70 have a 1.5x cropping factor. Your current lenses would shoot like a 105-450mm f/4-5.6 lensand a 42-120mm f/4-5.6 lens. A friend has a D100 and he loves to shoot wide angle. I think his favorite lens right now is the 18-35mm or something like that. -=>Donald

Michelle A. ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2004 at 5:46 AM

I've read somewhere that the new 8mp "consumer or should I say prosumer" cameras (Nikon, Canon, Sony...) are all using the same imaging sensor.

--- michelleamarante.com

DHolman ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2004 at 6:37 PM

They're probably based off the same sensor, though I don't think Canon has ever said who makes the sensor for the Powershot Pro1, but the fact that they're all the exact same size kind of makes me think that's true. Sony played a bit with the filter array over their sensor and came up with the RGBE filter matrix (E = Emerald) instead of the traditional RGBG. I was thinking about it, and one of the easiest ways to think of the quality issue between the consumer and DSLR models is to think image quality. Looking at the 8mp consumer sensor size vs 6mp D-SLR prosumer sensor size. Keep in mind that an array with smaller sensors packed closer together produces more noise than the same size array with larger sensors. Less noise = better image quailty. The current 8 megapixel consumer cameras use a 2/3" sensor size (8.8mm x 6.6mm). The top prosumer 6mp D-SLRs (Canon and Nikon) use ~23mm x 15mm sensors. That means the D-SLRs pack 25% fewer pixels on a sensor that's almost 3 times larger than the 8mp cams. Just for point of reference, the Canon 8mp EOS 1D Mark II pro camera uses a sensor that's 28.1 x 19.1mm - a little over 3 times larger than the consumer cams.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2004 at 6:50 PM · edited Fri, 14 May 2004 at 6:50 PM

one of the easiest ways to think of the quality issue between the consumer and DSLR models is to think image quality. Looking at the 8mp consumer sensor size vs 6mp D-SLR prosumer sensor size. Keep in mind that an array with smaller sensors packed closer together produces more noise than the same size array with larger sensors. Less noise = better image quailty.

That would explain why each and every one of them (prosumer models) has horrible noise when used at a higher than 100 ISO range.... that also according to reviews I've read, not from personal experience....

Could be wrong about the Canon having the same chip, now that I'm thinking about it, I do believe it was in reference to Sony, Nikon, Konica-Minolta, and Olympus.... Message edited on: 05/14/2004 18:50

--- michelleamarante.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.