Thu, Oct 3, 8:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: P5 Firefly Pob: Help Save "Suzie Four Nostrils" From A Life Of Sollitude

chloe008uk ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 5:19 PM ยท edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 8:17 AM

file_114189.jpg

Hello. I don't know what the France has gone wrong here.

Before rendering with Firefly, I did a low res render and the image looked fine. After rendering "full bells and whistles" (i.e. everything checked except "ignore back facing polygons") two nostrils seemingly appeared just below the bottom lip.

I thought it might be a "lighting" issue, and tried 4 different light scenes with the same result.

Then I did a detailed check on my characters head. Not doing any unrealistic facial contortions. Haven't been messing with proportions.

So then I did a close up hi res render of the face. This shows these mysterious "nostrils" in all their abomnibal glory.

Does anybody know what's happening here? How can I make these things go away?

Help poor "Suzie Four Nostrils". Don't condemn her to being the laughing stock of my character base, shunned and abhorred as a freak by all who meet her.

Please help. This unfortunate turn of events is keeping me from creating a finished product.

Thanks,

Chloe

Aeneas ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 5:22 PM

You used the no nostrils prop?

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

chloe008uk ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 5:26 PM

What no nostrils prop? Please don't tease because I'm pretty new at this. Chloe

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 6:05 PM

Chloe, try a render in P4 mode, and check the "Ignore Shader Trees" option. That will help to eliminate some possibilities.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

compiler ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 6:26 PM

"I don't know what the France has gone wrong here." What is that supposed to mean ? Another "clever" attempt at french bashing ?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 6:44 PM

"Another "clever" attempt at french bashing ?" Hey, it amused me. ;) Greece... HAHAHAHAHAHA! (BTW, I'm English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh/Italian/French/German/Danish/African, so don't be too upset at my ribbing.) Greece...haw!

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

chloe008uk ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 6:54 PM

"I don't know what the France has gone wrong here". Means I don't know why this error is occurring. Sorry if you were confused. I'm still confused. The original low res render was using the Firefly renderer. I've experimented with doing a full render minus Raytracing, Casting Shadows, Texture Filtering etc... each in turn, but in every case, the "mystery nostrils" are still present. I can render using the P4 Renderer but it's not as sharp. I'll try it on Production and see if that does me any good. I have a number of ways to "work around it", however, I'm most interested in why it's actually happening in the first place. If anyone can shed any light, I'd be grateful. Thanks Chloe

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 6:59 PM

I've had this problem too. Happens a lot when I try and morph Maya Doll.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 7:57 PM

Some morphs do indeed cause that, but what you should look at is your shadows. Shadow bias, shadow cams. If rendering without shadows produces them, then it's geometry.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Ajax ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 8:38 PM

Could it be a spot where the back facing polygons of the gums are poking through the chin as a result of a morph?

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

chloe008uk ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2004 at 8:58 PM

She's a P5 Judy who's face has been modified through the Face Room to characterise the face (so she's basically not Judy anymore). With or without shadows, they're still there. With or without backfacing polygons, they're still there. Took a really close look at her head to see if the teeth were in any strange position. Don't think that's it. This character has rendered fine in the past. Hopefully it's a one off that will never plague me again. Still there has to be a reason for it. For the moment, she can turn her head 90 degrees so those unsightly extra nostrils are out of sight and ought of mind. I appreciate everyone's help to try and overcome this. If someone reads this and knows the answer, please post it. Thanks again all. Chloe

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2004 at 6:29 AM ยท edited Sun, 27 June 2004 at 6:31 AM

It is definately the nostrils rather than a gum problem.

I've worked with Judy's face using Deecey's morphs and never came up against this, although some really narrow jawlines suffered interference from the teeth.

What I can't understand is how you managed to separate the nostrils from the nose. If you could duplicate and control that feat, it would be a neat trick for making aliens. What I suggest is asking Traveler. He is the morphmaster, after all. Carolly

Message edited on: 06/27/2004 06:31

Aeneas ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2004 at 7:36 AM

I was not teasing. I'm a beginner, just like you. And I experienced this, just like you. I did use the "no nostrils glow" prop at the time. This is something you can download that stops light coming out the nsitrils. My guess is that it can be built in some models, and isn't really "attached" to the nostrils. Anyhow, I was able to select them and delete them. Never ever saw this happen again. So no, no teasing meant. (that is not my style). I only had a little time, and if your answer had been "yes", the solution would have been there at your hand. I'll try to reconstruct the case asap.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

Jeff01 ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2004 at 8:43 AM

file_114190.jpg

I've seen this too. I don't think it has anything to do with nostrils. It's just a coincidence that the holes look like nostrils.

I think it's the InnerMouth geometry poking through the skin when you check Smooth Polygons using the Firefly renderer.

Try unchecking Smooth Polygons to be sure.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.