Sat, Sep 21, 2:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: EOS 10D or Fuji S2 ????????????

PalmerPolanski ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 9:47 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:54 PM

I have about 10 Nikon lens . Is it worth the switch to Canon ????? If I buy the Canon I will get the 17-40 as my first lens . Any thoughts? Thanx , PP

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 9:54 AM

I but Canon but only the body because the 17-40 has poor optic quality. Try and find out if any of your Nikon's lens are compatible with Canon or if Canon can tune some of them to use in your Canon.

raven_nightmares ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:08 AM

have you concidered the Nikon D70?

PalmerPolanski ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:08 AM

I read nothing but rave reviews about the 17-40 . PP

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:12 AM

Canon's 10D is a better choice comparing with Nikon's D70 but you have a lot of Nikon lens ... hard to choose

PalmerPolanski ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:22 AM

Let's talk about the Fuji S2. Any thoughts?????? PP

raven_nightmares ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:22 AM

although I'm an adoring owner of a Canon 10D, I am not sure if it is ALWAYS the right choice. The D70, from memory, has a more useful range of ISO settings and better flash sync speed. And then there's the price, not to mention the range of lenses that can be used (which should be the main importance when you already have lenses, in my book at least). The only downside in my book is the casing...but at least the plastic is lighter... Swings and roundabouts as always

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:27 AM

Canon's 10D has far less digital noise than the Nikon's D70 ! As for the flash synco speed one can allways use a good external flash ...

raven_nightmares ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:28 AM

I haven't read too much about the S2...seems rather a lovely camera...but it all depends on how much you can spend. I always look away when prices go over the 2000 mark just in case I start to want ;) I don't know if anyone knows about the way it comes to it's 12mp resolution...I am presuming more in camera interpolation...which seems a bit of a let down. Beautiful looking camera, though.

raven_nightmares ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 10:30 AM

yes, there is slightly more noise, but from what I've seen of images from the D70 on here, the noise isn't THAT obvious in the finished shot, and I dare to say that the colours are slightly better (always a bit unsure of the reds on my 10D). Yes, a decent external flash would allow for fast sync speeds...but I ain't got one ;) I still say the D70 is worth consideration over the 10D in some situations.

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 11:06 AM

I agree with raven nightmares. One has to make choices and pay attention to the balance price/quality. I bought my 300D (Rebel in USA) but my dream as the 10D. It was my first DSLR and wanted to spend some money with a good "go around" lens. So ... I saved some money for the lens without loosing too much quality ... !

PalmerPolanski ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 1:14 PM

Thank's for all your help . Just ordered the Fuji S2 : ) PP

DHolman ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 3:35 PM

No offense to anyone intended, but this may be one of the funnier threads I've read in a while. Was sort of like: "Hi. Do you guys like Red or Blue better? Reds nice, but then so is Green. Ok. But how about Blue? Yea, Green. Blue? Green. But I really wanna know about Blue. Yup, Blue. ........ So how about that Green?!" :) This also may be the fastest thread I've seen for someone making up their mind. 6 hours between question and purchase. :) Not that it helps with the decision at this point, but if I had 10 Nikon lenses and it was good glass, I would not switch over to Canon. I've never been quite sure about the S2 Pro. The idea of interpolating the 6mp up to 12mp isn't something new, but doing that even for a 6mp shot (it interpolates 6mp to 12mp and then back down to 6mp for the final 6mp shot) always seemed weird to me. The image quality, however looked good (probably a little better than a D100, and a bit less than a 10D - more attributed to the 10Ds really low noise). From memory, when I was looking at the different cameras, a couple big strikes in my book towards it was that the S2 Pro could only do 2fps (at times I shoot fast moving things like dancers in close proximity and hydro races) and for some weird reason they didn't give it mirror lockup capability How do you charge that much for a camera and not give it MLU? Plus a few minor things like no portrait grip available, it uses 2 different types of batteries, viewfinder only shows like 92% of the frame, etc. -=>Donald

raven_nightmares ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 3:47 PM

might well be funny...but as you pointed out...it worked! And to be fair, I was just trying to go over the nikon fit dslrs around...and the D70 is the one I'd think of to contrast the S2 with...as the 10D would require more lenses...and the D100 just doesn't compete. Thanks for the confirmation of the interpolation process

PalmerPolanski ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 4:16 PM

What sold me was I called my friend at the photo lab and asked him .He said they have made lightjet prints from every camera and digital back made . He thought hands down the S2 was the best DSLR for under 2000 bucks . I asked him what camera he owned . He said the EOS 10D : ) PP

solrac_gi_2nd ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 4:47 PM

The current discussion shows that everybody can express his point of view and even can take the liberty to talk around the subject commenting others opinions. I call it a "mastermind" kind of post. DHolman likes it this way ! DHolman : I say be free and do not forget to be happy !!! (have you got a mirror at home ?)

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 9:07 PM

I read this with open eyes and open thoughts.Now I am perplexed as to if I made a right decision purchasing a Nikon8700. I am a hobbyist only but do like to have good equipment.. I try to think I have a good eye for shots,and think I am improving each outing. Should I have bought the D70, has been my puzzling question for tha last few days. Then I think maybe just keep going with the 8700 and at a later date go into more camera. Opinions ???

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

DHolman ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 9:23 PM

dB: My thoughs ... ask yourself the following question when you shoot: Are you having to time and time again compensate for your cameras shortcomings when you shoot? In other words, do you feel like your camera is limiting what you can do? Be honest with yourself when you answer that question. Is it the camera's shortcomings or that your skills aren't quite there yet. If it's the camera, then you might consider ugprading ... if not, then don't worry about it. Maybe at some later date you'll find that your 8700 can't do what you need it to do and at that time you can see what your options are. Hahaha....hey Solrac ...you wouldn't happen to be related to Tedzo now, would you? hahahaha. I'll soon be doing some 16x20 prints. Will be interesting to see how the 10D does with that size. My 8x10/8x12 prints and lower have been sweet. -=>Donald

TMGraphics ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 9:51 PM

Let me know how it turns out, I wanna try 20x30! :] TMG

enax ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 1:24 AM

"if I had 10 Nikon lenses and it was good glass, I would not switch over to Canon" Agree with Donald, this has been my first thought when I've read your thread.

jimry ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 2:19 PM

Interesting topic..!! heres my two grands worth...Personally, I wouldnt spend THAT amount of money on a cam recommended over the telephone. Of couse the guy is going to say, oh the S2 for sure...MY ADVICE would be: Take a Compact Flash or Microdive to the shop, take some test pics with EACH cam of your choice, (most shops will let you view them in situ), or take them home, and compare. Easy.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.