Thu, Oct 3, 1:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Firefly, Raytrace problem

promajo ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 2:11 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:22 AM

file_114533.jpg

1 light with normal shadows, 1 with raytrace shadows, 3 extra lights how can i fix this???

Message edited on: 06/29/2004 14:12

promajo ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 2:12 PM

file_114534.jpg

my render settings

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 2:27 PM

Let's see your raytraced light settings while we're at it. There should be an option on the light's properties panel called "Shadow Min Bias". This normally defaults to 0.8. Try a lower value.

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 2:57 PM

Hmm.. Actually, your "Use displacement maps" setting is wrong. If you are not using displacement at all, turn it off. (Shouldn't make any difference to the image, but might speed up the render slightly). If you ARE using displacement, then the "Minimum displacement bounds" should be set a little higher than the MAXIMUM displacement setting (in the Materials room) that you are using. (Counter-intuitive, I know, but that's Poser/Firefly...) Hmmm.. 2; Unless I'm mistaken (and if I am, someone here will pounce and correct me), "raytracing on" only comes into effect when using reflections and/or refractions. Again, shouldn't make any real difference, but the less the renderer has to check for the faster it goes.. It might help if you could post your materials room settings for the the figure and the clothing. Are you using tranparencey, bump or displacement? Cheers, Diolma

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 4:20 PM

I would like to know this too, I get those "dirty" shadows often. My setup is pretty similar to the one showed, only I use the Box as post filter (never bothered to change it) I use 3 lights in my standard setup, one with raytraced shadows (so I have raytracing set to ON) and 2 with shadows disabled.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 4:46 PM

Drat! I KNEW there was something I'd forgotten about raytracing: shadows, of course. However, Promajo, it might be worthwhile trying a render with ray-tracing off, just to see if that cures the problem (since both you and ernyoka1 get it with raytracing on...) If it does, then wiser/more experienced minds than mine will probably have to help you if you really need raytracing. (For the vast majority of the stuff that I do I'm content with mapped shadows, and I've not noticed the problem you both have.) Cheers, Diolma

promajo ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 6:00 PM

file_114535.jpg

changing shadow bias didn't help and neither turning off displacement mapping

PS I had the sam problem with the my first post I recently made, where I use kozs evolution hair

PPS indeed it's different (credit awful soul)

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 8:28 PM

I think I have this one...Your RayTrace light is causing this. When you change to Ray Trace, The "Shadow minimum Bias" should be reduced to .100 or less. Opposite direction from a normal spot. I would also kill everything in settings except; Use disp maps. RayTrace on. Cast shadows. Reset Pixel samples to 3 Reset post filter to 1 Min and Max texture, I'm not sure matters at this point. If you check focal distance, be aware that this one is one the time pigs from hell, so render to a tiny window until you have it just right. These settings did "Muted Portrait Comp2" at my gallery, if you want to see if you can deal with these choices.

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 10:49 PM

It is absolutely Shadow minimum bias. Utterly unrelated, but I feel the urge to say it (lol): raytrace down, map up. That is, for lights coming down, use ray tracing, for lights pointing up, use depth mapping. Or the reverse. Creates softer fill shadows.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.