Mon, Sep 9, 6:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: External Geom Hell :S

Arual ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 12:50 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 10:51 PM

I probably guess this has been answered many a time before, but i'm having some problems making some props i'm working on load via external geom. I've saved as a .pp2 and then took another .pp2 (deleted all the code in that one) and copy and pasted all the relevant code into the new one adding in the.. storageoffset 0 0 0 objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:blahblahblah.obj I did this as it's usually quicker than manually having to delete all the nasty custom geom. But when I come to try it out it loads something.. it isn't visible (I can only see it in the hiearchy menu but not in the scene or in the menus) Just what have I done wrong? And how do I fix it? It's driving me mad now hehe

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 12:55 PM

I always just delete the geom lines and then paste in the code 'cause every single time I try something else, I get something that doesn't work. lol Be sure the brackets are in the right places, and that there is no custome geom anywhere in the new prop is the best I can say.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

geoegress ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 12:55 PM

Runtime:Geometries:(YOUR FOLDER NAME):blahblahblah.obj

Arual ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 1:01 PM

I've compared the code in mine to other .pp2's and it's identical apart from the obvious material settings etc. Still no joy shrugs @geogress.. I know about the folder i just put blah blah for example :) Is there a quicker way of deleting the custom geom than having to spend ages highlighting it all and deleting?

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 1:32 PM

I'm carefully comparing a .pp2 with an external geometry call and a standard Poser-created .pp2 with included geometry, and I can't see any difference outside of the GeomCustom section on the one and the section containing the objFileGeom on the other. I suspect you have a missing bracket somewhere. Poser gets real cranky about those. Also...Poser dislikes body parts that start with capitals, or spaces in file names. Hmm. Does the external mesh have an internal name? It could be Poser is opening the file, all right, but not finding the "actor" it wants.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 1:36 PM

nomuse may have hit it one the head there -- object names gotta be exact, and never allow spaces in your file name on an external call. and by the way, anyone want to take up a collection for nomuse? Everyone should have at least one...

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Arual ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 1:41 PM

Ok got it working now :) I think it was the internal names where I was making the mistakes. I changed the name of the external object and re saved as a prop and then pasted the new code in. Works fine now, although I did have a litte problem with it changing all the scale settings grr Thanks for the help, I appreciate you answering a question that has probably countlessly been answered many times before :) Hands out virtual pints of beer

philebus ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 2:16 PM

I'm not technically minded. Logic, I can cope with - computer code, I can't! The upshot of which is that I look for programs. You might try looking at P-Wizard in the MP, it has a geometry stripper that will take care of pp2's and cr2's with no hastle. It means finding $20 though.

JHoagland ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 2:40 PM

Here's another question: shouldn't the middle "0" (after "storageOffset") be "0.3487"? Isn't this the Y coordinate, which places the prop on the ground?
For example:

prop FuelProbe_1:1<br></br> {<br></br>   storageOffset 0 0.3487 0<br></br>    objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:JHoagland:blackhawkfuelprobe.obj<br></br>        }

--John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 3:04 PM

Heck, you had me stumped there. I was flailing. My muse passed away eons ago. It would take a LOT of clapping to revive her.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 3:10 PM

huggs to nomuse. John, I think you're right, near as I can tell. I'll have to look at my copy of the offset tables if I can find it (and if not, then it's back to tht nightmare search online for it once again...)

-Yggdrasil- ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 6:30 PM

John- only if that's where the prop should be at.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 8:26 PM

I'm not sure what the storageOffset is suposed to do, as far as I can see it does nothing at all! It dosen't seem to matter what numbers you use in this line, you can even leave the line out alltogether and the geometry still seems to load ok.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2004 at 1:46 AM

Attached Link: http://www.globetown.net/~kim99/tool/CR2Builder/02h/indexe.html

CR2Builder loads Poser files without actually loading the deltas or geomCustom into memory, so all you have to do is find the stub it loads and delete that. After following the link above, choose the link labeled 02h18.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.