Thu, Sep 19, 10:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: The Menu Bar, Please Get Rid Of It!

Lyne ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 2:34 AM · edited Fri, 16 July 2004 at 2:47 AM

I have also posted in another thread on this subject...I have DSL, and IE6 with settings fine and

1)it does NOT cache... odd that, how come it doesn't?? EDIT: WHAAA??? IT'S SUDDENLY CACHING!! JUST BETWEEN THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE ALL THIS, NOW IT IS STAYING LOADED!?!? OKAY...I deleted the rest of my "rant" as it appears that the "higher ups" ARE listening, and my faith is restored! :))

Message edited on: 07/16/2004 02:47

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Lyne ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 2:54 AM

BUT WAIT... HUH? Now if I stay here and move around it stays cached...so I left a page open on purpose, went to my mail program to visit one of my favorite artists by the e mail notice link and THAT page has to reload the menu bar bit by bit! Now how can I enjoy my back and forth from my mail to my Favorites?? (which by the way DOES generate sales from me, when I see someone use a product here that I suddenly want to buy!).... Well maybe those that fixed the "while you are here" caching can fix this element too? I think coming in from the e mail link must make it a "new session" even if a page is open... I will check my settings again.

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 12:17 PM

Just a note that this statement "In IE 6 you go to the "general tab>Temporary Internet files>Settings>Check for newer versions of stored pages" needs to have "automatically" added to the end of it. Also, the top nav bar changes made were to help the thousands of people using Netscape 4.7 (or older) on MACs (older than OSX) that didn't load the nav bar at all. (sorry if that was already explained somewhere and I missed it) I hope you can understand that it's helping a LOT of people. I'm also confused that many people have made statements that the nav bar is now caching, and we haven't made any changes. That makes me wonder if it has more to do with general internet connections. I ask that everyone using IE please go to microsoft.com and make sure you have all the updates. A few months ago there was the Critical Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB831167). I'm sure most of you have it but I'd like to get to the bottom of the problems, since we've been testing with multiple browsers and different types of connections and can not duplicate the problem. I also ask that everyone please triple check (cause I believe all of you have already checked at least twice) your browser settings. If we can't find anything wrong, can't duplicate, then I'm not sure how we can fix something that "appears" to be working. Honestly, we'd like to get this resolved as much (if not more) than you. We hate that some of you are having problems. I'm sure some of you may have already done this, but (I'd like to help trouble shoot) please send an email to admin@renderosity.com with your browser version (including updates list) and the type of operating system you have. We will try again to help figure out what's going on. Thanks, Jenifer

spook ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 4:53 PM · edited Fri, 16 July 2004 at 4:56 PM

thank you for your response, jenifer. and while i appreciate that you are trying to help "thousands" of members using a free, out-of-date browser on MACs to use the website, as a member who pays some money for some premium services and has use of both premium equipment from his place of work as well as premium equipment purchased for personal use, you have to understand how preposterous your comments - and the comments of others on this website's staff - sound to me.

to date, renderosity has REFUSED to recognise that there's a problem. and in some of its responses, it has gone as far as to suggest that these issues are grounded in "user errors" or configuration problems. finally, renderosity has stubbornly defended this navigation design note to a community of artists unimpressed by the rationale for the design note AND its rationale for its execution of code to programming professionals unimpressed by the code....

i assure you that i am not in error here. as i type this note, i'm doing so from my office in washington, dc - on a 100 MB wire connected to the rest of my organisation world-wide by t-3 or frame relay; through its own, dedicated proprietary satellite and landline network. and i see the same behaviour of the renderosity website here as at home.

i believe i - indeed, all of us - have a right to be frustrated. and you have an obligation to fix the problem.

Message edited on: 07/16/2004 16:56

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 6:14 PM

file_116064.jpg

I have taken the liberty of making a button-type banner like the one RO has here. This is purely text based and will work very efficiently and is only 8kb(total). Using an image-map program to link the text to each area, this one can be utilized in place of the numerous graphical ones used presently.

Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes here, but I would think that the 'thousands'of other users RO has would benefit from this one even more in loading time.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 11:57 PM

Well said Spook, and Ardiva, thats a great looking button..I see no reason why 'Rosity wouldn't want to use it.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 12:03 AM

I see no reason why 'Rosity wouldn't want to use it. Because there's not a problem! Duh! :-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 12:18 AM

G

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

ocddougdotcom ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 12:36 AM

That would be too easy. I would guess that a majority here use IE, so why not adapt that menu to accomodate the majority??

Daz1971 ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 3:22 AM

I'm having the problem too. While it doesn't happen every time, that stupid menu re-loads most of the time. And it's damn slow. In contrast, Ardiva's menu loaded instantly, and in my opinion it looks a hell of a lot better too! I don't understand R'osity's arrogance in keeping the current menu. I've never seen a text-like menu on any other website that has had this problem. Wouldn't that indicate that it's a problem with YOUR site, not our browsers? Also, expecting users to modify their browser settings just to accommodate your site seems ridiculous. (BTW, I've checked my settings and they already match your suggestions). I am a programmer myself, so I understand perfectly how painful it can be to admit something you've created doesn't work properly. But come on guys, swallow your pride and rip out that useless menu.

Ardiva ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 6:19 AM

Yes, the menu I have put up here works for EVERYONE. sigh

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 9:50 AM · edited Sat, 17 July 2004 at 9:58 AM

file_116065.jpg

We must've been thinking the same thing, Ardiva. Here's a .jpg (18.3KB) version I came up with (ref the graphic).

Message edited on: 07/17/2004 09:58

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 9:55 AM

file_116066.jpg

And a .gif (11.6KB) version (ref the graphic).

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 9:57 AM · edited Sat, 17 July 2004 at 10:01 AM

file_116067.jpg

And the map code to go with either; changing the graphic name, of course (ref the graphic). Tested on: IE6.0, NS7.1, and NS4.79.

Message edited on: 07/17/2004 10:01

Ardiva ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 10:18 AM

Absolutely people! Bravo! You see there IS a way around this for ALL R'osity users. (Also they have to understand that their own menu version must load before even a gallery image is displayed. I find that very unusual since a gallery image is by far much larger in dimension and KB, and with cable can load almost instantly, where the menu cannot).

lundqvist ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 11:05 AM

Just to play Devil's advocate: were client-side image maps actually supported in the fabled NS4.7/Mac ?

Ardiva ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 11:08 AM

That I don't know lund, as I never have used it.

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 9:01 PM

I don't know, either - never touched a MAC in my life. :) However, they're easy to make with the right software (I used Adobe ImageReady) and test on any platform.

I don't know if we can attach .zip files, but I'd be willing to share the test page and image files for people to try out.

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 9:03 PM

Actually, I guess I already did share the files as people can use the images from the page and type out the text if they wanted to. :)

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 18 July 2004 at 2:50 AM · edited Sun, 18 July 2004 at 2:52 AM

I see that ANOTHER long thread has started about this while I was away scuba diving in the Red Sea.
Go back to the old text version. There is no point in being ingenious for its own sake.

Message edited on: 07/18/2004 02:52

ShadowWind ( ) posted Mon, 19 July 2004 at 1:05 PM

If you are on a local machine to the Rosity network, you probably don't see the problem. It does cache sometimes, but rarely. It's not that it takes anymore bandwidth. 1x27k is the same as 27x1k. The bottleneck comes in the server having to make 27 different calls to retrieve the navigation banner. Unfortunately due to IE's top down approach, that means that it has to load completely before the graphics content of the page will load (especially in the galleries, or Marketplace thumbnails), making each page a 5-10 second load. The solution presented here would be easy to implement and work on most if not all browsers and would help speed us back up. So please...

ocddougdotcom ( ) posted Mon, 19 July 2004 at 9:06 PM

I give up. I will just deal with the slow load times. But I'll tell you this: any models, textures, etc. I buy won't be from here.

PilotHigh ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 2:54 PM

I'm on a Mac (OS 9) and a cable modem and I don't cache at all. It works fast for every other site but this one. I used to spend hours here enjoying all the galleries and forums - but not any more. By the time I get through the daily Poser gallery I'm too frustrated and annoyed to look at any others, let alone the forums. And if you check my purchase history you'll see that I'm buying less.

spook ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 4:42 PM · edited Thu, 22 July 2004 at 4:45 PM

pilothigh: i do wish that purchase history had some bearing on the decision of this website's staff. i, also, have spent some sous on this website.

however, we have discussed the issue on multiple threads; we have explained the specific problems. and now, you have confirmed that their original reason for the change does not work, too. and STILL, there is no movement.

now, they have become silent. i have even written directly to mr. choate; and i have received no answer.

the only thing that i can do - having experienced this company's client orientation first-hand - is to communicate these impressions to the organisations or agencies over whom i have some influence.... i know that doesn't mean much; i doubt that bondware would be interested in or be qualified for competing in RFPs for multilateral organisations or agencies. but i am so disenchanted that i feel obligated to do it.

Message edited on: 07/22/2004 16:45

CyberStretch ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 6:15 PM · edited Thu, 22 July 2004 at 6:17 PM

That's one thing R'osity'll most likely never know: A forum member/customer here may just be a CEO or relative of someone important in a corporation elsewhere where they may eventually seek to do business.

I wonder how many potential Bondware customers have donned the moniker of "member", checked the place out, and decided to go elsewhere?

That'd be one of my first priorities in researching a company.

Message edited on: 07/22/2004 18:17

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.