Tue, Oct 22, 1:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:36 am)

Subject: OT - ASCII image makers

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 9:12 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:38 AM

Sorry, just have no idea where to put this, but figure someone might know something. I have a client who wants me to take a b/w design and convert it into an ascii test image. No idea where to get one, and the usual suspects didn't pull anything up (though I may not have searched effectively). Suggestions or ideas?

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 9:31 PM

ASCII text image? They used to do that back in the 70s when there were no graphics printers, other than plotters that used "binary decks". Not very sophisticated.

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 9:40 PM

hmmm I can suggest this, it may work... print the image on some actate at say Legal paper size and then over lay that on some graph paper.. that will let you then see where to put the characters to make the image with the ascii figures on another peice of paper... type this into say Wordpad and if you need a graphic, hit printscreen and paste in Photoshop to get the image done as ascii... or just save the wordfile ;) I know there were once some programs that would do this for you.. got no idea where or what they are called.. the only other idea I can think of is a knitting or crossstich program, they would do roughly the same converting the image to a pattern...

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 9:54 PM

lol -- granted, it's not very sophisticated, but when the client wants something, you deliver if ya want the bucks, lol. Right up until about 93 or 94, ascii was the way to do cool stuff artistically -- I just never had the patience for it, lol. ascii is little more than plain text, so that option might work, Khai. I was just hoping for something to make it a tad easier, lol

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Francemi ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 10:10 PM

I know I've seen something about that in the last year or so. I don't remember the name or if it was a PS plugin or a stand-alone program, but I know it exists. Have you searched at Google for ASCII (just that)? Maybe you would find the program I'm talking about. France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 10:51 PM

I had one years ago, lost it during computer transitions...maybe still on a backup floppy, but I haven't found one of those that still reads.... Here's a couple via Google: (free) http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/3/6/11-3-6-5.shtml (free) http://www.algonet.se/~hubbabub/freeware/graphic2.html (free ??) http://www.imagespro.com/programs/1141/ (??, but has reviews) http://www.mathworks.it/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=4732&objectType=FILE

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 27 July 2004 at 10:53 PM

Hmmmm, a NVIATWASCII...???

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 12:21 AM

igohigh, that first suggestion did the trick for what I needed. Thanks! and Francemi, I tried google again and kept my patience this time and found something that will prove useful as well -- thanks, both of you :)

Kalypso ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 12:36 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Attached Link: http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

Years ago I came upon a site where this guy was doing the whole Star Wars film as ascii images! From what I can see he's still at it :)

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 12:48 AM

And he's doing it well!

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:10 AM

My husband used to do original ASCII art. I've still got some of it saved somewhere. He was pretty clever (it's part of why I fell in love with him, sort of).

On our server (which used to be named caffeine, but the last upgrade they renamed it for some ridiculous reason, because it still answers to "caffeine" as well as the new name, but anyway), we use this for the login message (when you log in to the shell):

<br></br>                                                         _.od888888888b<br></br>             _.d88b                                 _od8888888888888888<br></br>           ,d8P   8b                             _o888P~<br></br>          o88'    `'      ,o8o ,o8o         oo  d8P'<br></br>        o888'             8P Y,8P Yb<br></br>       o888'    o8.dP    dP   dP    o88o   8P  dP,88o  o88o<br></br>      d888'    dP ~8    o8Y8oo8Y8oodP ,o8 d8' o8P~ ,8 dP ,o8<br></br>     o888'     8. dP o8P8P   8P  ~~8P~   o88 ,8'  ,8P 8P~<br></br>     8888      Y8oPYP~ d8   d8     &8oPY~ `8o8P   88oP&8oPY~<br></br>     8888              ~'   ~'           ,8<br></br>     `888o.    _o888888bo_             ,8P'<br></br>._    `~Y888888P~'   `~Y88o.         o8P'<br></br>88888boo._               Y~Y      _o88P'<br></br>888888888888booo._        _.oood88888'<br></br>~~&88888888888888888888888888888P~~<br></br>        ~&8888888888888888P~~<br></br><br></br>  "If you drink it, the headache goes away."  - G.C.Bromage<br></br>

The person quoted, by the way, is Greg, my favorite brother-in-law. ;-)

bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Cybermonk ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:25 AM

Attached Link: http://go.to/ascgen/

This is a pretty cool Program.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:34 AM

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 1:46 AM

Those 2 are made with one of the ascii-generating programs, I THINK it's the one called AscGen, but I have several of those programs, and it's made sometimes last year.
They're a lot of fun :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 11:17 AM

they've been mentioned before..used to be a way to turn DOS prompts into pictures as well, but then I'm revealing my age..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Lord_Lucan ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 3:37 AM

You can also make ASCII moving images as well(HTML).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.