Sat, Sep 21, 9:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Underwater scenes

TRIPD ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 4:23 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:26 PM

file_118681.jpg

I am trying to develop underwater scenes. But I am having trouble actually getting it to look like it is underwater. I have left a picture that I have done so far if anyone could help me with either a tut for this or ideas on how to make it look more like it is underwater I would appreciate it thanks.

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 5:16 PM

First I would change the sky ( get rid of those clouds ) try using one of the preset skies like Caribbean Clear or Peach Haze. They have no clouds and the color and haze can be adjusted to create an under water atmosphere. Also think a real world situation. If your doing an underwater scene, put it underwater.

Stephen Ray

TRIPD ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 9:53 PM

file_118683.jpg

this is my 3rd attempt at an underwater scene I think i got a wee bit closer

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 10:12 PM

Oh, yes you are. The hardest part, imo, is the "sky" settings. To make it look more like murky water. And, yeah, like Stephen said, you can later put your scene underwater. I myself just tiled a set of terrains that looked like ocean waves (I like "slickrock"), and positioned it above my scene. If you ever do that, don't make them "solid", it can turn out looking strange. (in my scene it did, anyway) AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

MuddyGrub ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 11:11 PM

I prefer to use two different renders for underwater scenes. One for the entire scene, and the second for the underwater murky sorta feel. That's the approach I used for the underwater scene in my gallery. Yours is coming along great. Good luck!

blaufeld ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 11:15 PM

Take a look at this!!! http://visualmagic.awn.com/archive/archive06.html :)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2004 at 4:34 AM

These are fantastic. Sharen

Batsarse ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2004 at 10:40 AM

You could try using a volumetric slab - I don't tend to use them much myself, because they can push the render time right through the roof, but if you Alt-click (or it might be Ctrl-click - it's one of them!) the water terrain button at the top left of the Bryce toolbar it will create a "block" of water rather than a 2D plane. You can apply a suitable water texture to this "block", which can then be stretched up out of the field of view. Then you can play around with the light settings for that lagoon or abyssal depths look. Word of warning about volumetric renders, though: I'm not kidding about the render times - they can be enormous, so if you're looking for a quick fix to your problem this may not be it. That's why I tend to avoid them (I have no patience!) IIRC, there's one volumetric-slab render in my gallery titled "Pollution". It's nothing special but it should give you a basic idea of the potential of the voluemtric slab. Hope this helps.

TRIPD ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2004 at 1:57 PM

file_118684.jpg

I used a slight compilation of the suggestions here to get this I do believe I am alot closer to achieveing what I want. Thanks for all the halp so far and any suggestions on how to make the scene better is appreciated.

Dennisld ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 10:16 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3dart4u.com/1024/index.htm

If you'd like to experiment with some underwater mats and skies you could do worse than Menno's Underwater package. It's at the link, click on the whale image.

January's Challenge at this site was 'Underwater Realism with Bryce' with some 70 odd entries won by Agent Smith.
Well worth a look through for some of the best underwater images posted at Renderosity.

Realistic underwater images are recognosed as the most difficult to master with Bryce so good luck with your efforts, your coming along nicely.
Bye now...........Dennis

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.