Sun, Sep 22, 2:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Quick question about trans mapping

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 9:29 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:28 PM

I'm working on some eye textures, but since I don't have a program that supports transparency maps, I don't have any way to figure out how they work. I wanted to put these eye textures in the Marketplace, but if I do they'll need trans maps for the Poser users. So my question is, on a s trans map, are clear areas white with opaque areas black? The reason I'm asking is because the corneas of the eyes need to be clear.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 9:48 PM

Transmaps: White will show in render Black does NOT show in render. ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 10:25 PM · edited Sat, 14 August 2004 at 10:26 PM

So you are making poser items to sell in the marketplace without owning poser at all?
Brave soul!

Why not download the free daz Studio, to at least test them to see if they work properly?

Message edited on: 08/14/2004 22:25

Message edited on: 08/14/2004 22:26

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 11:52 PM

Garee: Hehe not quite, I do have Poser 3 and Daz Studio, but P3 doesn't do trans maps. DS must do them but I have yet to figure out where the commands are. ;) I totally forgot about DS though, it's so clumsy and cumbersome that I never use it. Thanks, I'll try that. Besides, what I'm making is eyeballs, they're not that Poser exclusive ;) I just want them to map correctly in as many apps as possible. Dr. Geep: So, a clear object should be black on a trans map? I don't know for sure because the only trans map I have on hand is from a free MilDragon texture. It's for the wings, so it's gray, and I wasn't sure which extreme was which ;)

geep ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 1:12 AM

Black areas on a transmap will be invisible if ... TranMax = 100% -and- TransMin = 100% and Highlight is set to 0 and BLACK cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 1:14 AM

You have other settings that would apply. In P5, and I think P4, you can make a whole material transparent (a material is one way of defining part of an object, which can cross body-part boundaries, such as a long sock). That might be better for what you're doing. But without a more recent version of Poser... Not at all easy.

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 1:43 AM

file_122659.jpg

Okyday, I'll just say that the tex is just for the irises ;) I can make some pretty interesting (read: odd) eyes and textures ;) This one was rendered in Bryce 3, so I just made the cornea clear manually, by selecting it and applying a glass material to it.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 3:38 AM

In that case, for many figures, the iris is a distinct material, and the only problem might be where it is on a texturemap. Some figures have it tucked away on the general head texturemap, and the UV mapping means you have to match that. DAZ3D usually have well-labelled templates available. The extra layers, and their transparency, wouldn't need changing from the default for a working figure. If you're doing exotics, you might have to do the whole eye. I've not seen an eye where the UV mapping for pupil/iris/white isn't a single area, and the different parts cannot cross material boundaries. You'd have to do that to get a slit pupil, or just different light levels. Which is a thought -- especially with slit pupils, you get some noticable changes as light level drop. A slit pupil changes shape. Would it be worth putting some index marks outside the texture area to make it easier to identify the eye's centre?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.