Tue, Oct 22, 6:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Swinging Doors in P5, A Geepish Question

Huolong ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:01 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:38 AM

How does one take an object, like a cube, and change the axis of rotation such as for a swinging door?

Gordon

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:21 PM

If it's a prop you're talking about, you can simply press ctrl-i for properties and check 'display axis'. Or you can open the Joint Editor (alt-w-j). Then all you need to do is set the axis on one side of the door and on the correct edge. You can do this by dragging the green cross with the mouse, by using the dials or the Joint Editor. It's always best to use the Orthographic cameras, like Front, Left and Top for greater accuracy in positioniing the JPs (joint parameters). One more tip. Once you have the door set up, find the correct amount of rotation. It'll be something like minimum 0 / maximum 120 degrees, or for a door which opens outwards, the reverse - min-120 / max 0. Then double-click the rotation dial name and, in the dialog box, type the maximum and minimum limits. This will ensure that it doesn't crash through the walls. (Remember to turn on Use Limits in the Figure menu). mac

geep ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:32 PM

file_123140.jpg

Remember, a picture is worth ................. what you paid for it. ;=] Your numbers will probably be different than those shown in the graphic. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:34 PM

file_123141.jpg

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:35 PM

BTW - What's "Geepish?" ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Huolong ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 3:56 PM

As in your expertise ... thanks for answering ... my P5 isn't doing the above ... yet

Gordon

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for the reminder. There's a couple of props I've downloaded which seem to have awkwardly-placed axes, and correcting that would make a big difference to usability.

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 10:33 PM

Geepish: adj. from the old Oggham word "Geep" meaning helpful. See also "Tutorials". Now, where does Oggham come from? And what is the surprise in Bannannannaa Surprise?

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 11:03 PM

One site said ogham might come from an ancient irish word ogum but they didn`t say what ogum meant.

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 11:04 PM

Nope. But a nice try.

Dizzie ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 11:09 PM

is the rest of this lesson posted somewhere?

geep ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 11:53 PM

file_123142.jpg

Hi Dizzie, These pages were excerpt from Doc's "Door" tutorial. You can [ CLICK HERE](http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1627419) to hyperwarp to this tutorial. cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Dizzie ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 2:35 AM

Thanks much!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 9:33 AM

Ogham is the usual spelling for the written script found in Ireland and Wales... ogum is a straight line (furrow) and the script is actually formed of a line for the edge and lots of little perpendicular lines for the letters. So, ogum is a reasonable derivation. There is supposedly also a god of language or druid named Ogma mac Elathan at the heart of the word. It was reputedly a secret script, designed for the keeping and transmission of secrets, unlike runes which were usually meant for public reading. A runestone saying "this is dedicated to my brothers who died in the east" or "this bridge was made for my father's soul" doesn't do much good if it can't be read. The ancient Irish often weren't talking to passersby however! Some of the best carvings in their chambergraves face into the dirt. They kept their secrets well. I'm not sure how many of the inscriptions have been translated. In modern times it has been used as a cipher. Ogham was also a secret and obscure language practiced by the ancient Irish, espcially the poets. There are suggestions that because it consisted of families (4 groups of 5 letters) that it began as a druidic finger language and only later was carved... so the short and long lines would represent bent fingers. (The finger counting method is still known...it survived the middle ages... with skill you can multiply on your fingers.) Oghamic refers to both script and language. Oggam with 2 G's is a variant form. I suspect that pdxjims means ogghamic as an obscure and allusive language practiced by those of Irish descent. I have a couple of books on runes, but none just on ogham... I should remedy that if I intend to keep any secrets! ;^) Carolly

geep ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 11:35 AM

Secrets, .............................. you got secrets?

You know what a secret is ..................
........................................... it's something you only tell one person at-a-time.

But ....................... don't tell anybody ... ok?

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.