Wed, Sep 18, 9:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Looking for evaluators for free postproduction Poser renderer

xoconostle ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2004 at 10:43 PM

It's great seeing everyone's images in this thread, hope to see more. ernyoka1 I wanted to mention that your use of comic-like halftone is really cool, I was going to do the same thing but you beat me to it. The default Pixelate > Color Halftone filter in Photoshop could be used with Inkulator to create some 60s comic/Roy Lichtenstein-style art that would be visually compelling. Very, very exciting stuff...

salvius ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2004 at 11:22 PM

file_123473.gif

Since we're all doing it, I'll post the results of my playing with this for about 15 minutes (admittedly, I had already set up the characters for a test render a while back). I'm having a tough time wiping the stupid grin off my face at the potential this has...

If I have time this weekend, I'll wrestle with it some more. I'm a professional software tester in my day job, so I may be able to really put it through the wringer. :-)

lhiannan ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2004 at 11:37 PM · edited Thu, 19 August 2004 at 11:39 PM

file_123474.gif

WinXP Pro, AMD Athlon, 1.47 GHz, 512 RAM, program installed to D: drive (as opposed to C:, which has nothing but Windows installed to it).

Dressed up the Girl, exported her as Wavefront OBJ w/ only Weld checked. Z-tooned her in Poser (by hand, adjusting obj color as needed). Rendered & saved. Used Inkulator w/ exported OBJ, exported AI and imported to Photoshop 7, where I fiddled with the Poser render and then dropped the ink outline Inkulator created for me onto the Poser image. Needed minor adjustments because somewhere on the way the two renders were slightly rotated differently. Duped the Poser layer and set it to Luminosity.

And then, voila! :)

Message edited on: 08/19/2004 23:39

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2004 at 11:47 PM

Animation is exactly what I was thinking of. (But of course animation is the only use of Poser I ever think of, so that's sort of redundant....) I tried to do one manually; move the frame, export the object, run Inkulator, etc. It's fairly fast, but re-entering all the values got extremely tiresome. That's when the snake popped into the picture.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2004 at 11:59 PM

Layering is a great idea. Let Poser do the coloring, let Inkulator do the outlines. That also gives me a neat way to calibrate the Python.......

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

lhiannan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 12:10 AM

Z-toon and Inkulator are going to take Poser off in brand new directions, I think :)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 12:15 AM

@ lhiannan: It's good news that you can layer the pictures. I was thinking of that yesterday but didn't try because I thought the camera angles were too different. Did you use Poser's Main cam or the front cam or what? Your picture looks really really great btw. As taken out of a newspaper or cartoon. Ockham, Poser can output animations as series of obj's, right? I think I tried that once. But maybe that WAS the way you were doing the animation test? And it would still be so cool to have Python pick up the objs one by one, ink them and then (with a yes/no option) delete the obj afterwards, as they wouldn't be needed anymore :o) And some option to match the output to Poser's camera(and lights) would be awesome!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 12:18 AM

lhiannan (crossposted, so here goes...) z-tooning doesn't flatten the obj, does it? It only makes the colours more "flat" and toonish, right? I didn't think of using z-tooning, but it's a great idea. I can't WAIT to get home tonight and try it! (stuck at work now for the next many many hours :o( )

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

lhiannan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 12:49 AM

Thank you :) I didn't Z-toon the obj I exported for Inkulator. The Z-tooning was after and just used in the Poser render, and I think that is what screwed up the camera rotation. Traditional Z-tooning changes the obj, it flattens it on the Z-scale (hence "Z"-toon), making it look like a flat card if seen from the side. I have the Girl parented to an invisible cube and the cube is set to 2% Z-Scale in my render. Camera is the the Main Camera, straight on, 110 focal length.

Towal ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 1:42 AM

Well I thought this was going to be too complicated for my wee brain to grasp, but after reading the posts and seeing what people were doing I decided to give it a try. (even forced me to figure out how to export as an obj so I learned something new as well) :)

I will echo the slider/dial rather than text boxes request.

I extracted it to D rather than C and it worked, but crashed on trying to save so I moved it to C and now it freezes trying to save (vs just shutting down completely which is what it did on D).

Any suggestions for getting save to work would be great.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I can see a lot of potential for it with this community.

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 2:20 AM

file_123475.gif

A few props by dreampaint thrown together, run through Inkulator, simple background gradient added in P'Shop. Again, the possibilities...

12rounds ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 4:51 AM

WoW! Me likes dis a lot!

dhenton1000 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 5:04 AM

file_123477.gif

Sample idea. Use inking regions as a color modifier

Indoda ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 5:37 AM

There are tremendous possibilities for this software. Ran just fine on XP Home. Best wishes for the future as you develop this program.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 6:08 AM

Oooh now in colours too? This gets better and better. You've got a winner for sure!

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 8:49 AM

Yes, Poser can export a series of OBJ files, if you check "multi-frame" in the first step of the export object action. I'm not sure yet if that will be the best way to go; it would tend to pile up a lot of huge OBJs all at once, and would also require saving a series of command files for Inkulator to process afterward. I suspect it will be cleaner to export the OBJ at each frame, then run the Inkulator separately, then delete the OBJ and delete the command file. The latter would take up less disk space and cause less potential confusion. Will just have to try both ways and see which is happier.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 10:08 AM

dhenton1000 the inking regions as colour modifier looks great!

nickedshield ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 11:16 AM

file_123478.gif

I was amazed that it would handle a scene of this complexity. This was exported by D|S as part of a Bryce turbo import experiment, which failed. Saved as an AI, opened in PS6 and saved as a jpg. Some artifacts are caused by needing transmaps on the squares. Very impressive this software is !!!! Pentium 4, 2.4g with 1g ram

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

Torulf ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 11:39 AM

file_123479.gif

Its an impressive and simple to learn program. I have some problems with the obj. Here the Anime doll exported from Poser. It gets some spikes on the legs and the hair. I have importer the same obj to Poser and Cinema 4D and have no spikes.

TG

J/J ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 12:37 PM

Sounds great, I really like the fact that the paths can be edited in Illustrator. Will there be a MAC version available? In graphics MAC is still the industry standard, but on anything 3D we really get the short end...

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 1:48 PM

Torulf, it may be that Anime Doll just won't export well as an .obj file at all, or that the export settings would need to be adjusted to get it to work better. I had the same problem when exporting the infamous Creepy Clown model, but as I recall, I could never get Creepy to export as an .obj anyway without grotesque distortion. In other words, I don't think what you're seeing is inherent to Inkulator. You might try viewing the exported .obj in another non-Poser program to verify.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 2:49 PM

Torulf, I've noticed similar "stalks" on some of my home-made objects. The polygons that go wrong are many-sided, (as in 32 sides). Poser will usually swallow such facets without complaining, but they're still rotten! Theory: Inkulator may be trying to triangulate such facets with a misplaced center vertex???????

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Kenmac ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 2:52 PM

file_123481.gif

I had problems with Creepy as well. I found that Daz Studio doesn't like him much either. I already posted this render in the Poser newsgroup but I'll post it here as well. Here's the Gremlin in Inkulator. Thanks for the cool program dhenton1000.

Torulf ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 5:28 PM

I have importer the Anime doll obj back to Poser and to Cinema 4Dand Bryce and I have no spikes in this aps! Its must be something in Inkulator.

TG

dhenton1000 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 5:40 PM

ocham you found my dirty little secret my obj reader truncates multifacted polygons to quads. I KNOW I should tesselate them. I hate to admit this, this is my FIRST graphics program and only my SECOND MFC/C++ program. I have a lot to learn. I can't program on a MAC, but from a programming standpoint, a MAC port would take about a week. This is an OpenGL app,and OpenGL is the same whether mac, linux or windows. if you know any MAC opengl people, ask them.

dhenton1000 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 6:06 PM

Moderated list for Inkulator9000 updates and announcements. No images on this one. It will be just for news about new releases or special Inkulator stuff..

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkulator-announce

===================================================
Is it me or is this topic getting too big? Should we call it a day or something?

Torulf ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 6:20 PM

file_123483.gif

I have a solution for export the Anime doll obj. Export it as 3DS from Poser. Import the 3DS in Rhino and export as obj. The new obj works in Inkulator.

TG

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 7:11 PM

dhenton1000 you could start a new thread if this topic is getting too big.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 7:54 PM

"dhenton1000 you could start a new thread if this topic is getting too big." LOL

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 10:59 PM

Actually another thread isn't the worst idea. Maybe in a few more days when we've had more time to experiment. The images in this thread are mostly "quickies." It'll be very intersting to see what comes of this given some time. Another observation ... one thing I like about the directional ink controls is that they can be used to simulate consistent light source if you don't set them all to the same value.

ming ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2004 at 12:14 AM

Wow!!!!!
This is great!
I been trying for 2 years to get this affect(using PS,PSP)

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 6:36 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

file_123485.gif

....especially for an old pen and ink type still adjusting to the digital world, even after several years!!!! Man oh man!! Stuff like this is a GREAT reason to hang around here! The possibilities simply abound! THANK YOU, dhenton1000!!

Larry F

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 9:14 AM

Larry F, your picture might look better with the lines less thick.

dhenton1000 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 9:25 AM

LarryF You've hit on one of my secret plans for Inkulator. Style variation. This remains me VERY much of the bookcover art of the Dillons, Leo and Diane. I hope to be able to some day to have a style selector with items like "WoodCut", "Kelly Freas", "Frazetta". Never too late for the party.

Larry F ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 6:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback. xantor -- you might have a point! It would certainly look DIFFERENT! Once I discovered this thread and read through it, seeing all the examples, I downloaded it and tried it out. I made several renderings, but this was the one I liked most - was looking for a Jesse Marsh (Dell Tarzans circa 50s) and/or Hugo Pratt (CORTO MALTESE!!!!) "look and feel"!! John Bolton even comes to mind, as these are people I really like, among others! At any rate, dhenton1000, replied to your IM and I think you have provided a wonderful gift to Poser folks! I for one appreciate it very very much! Gotta go dig out some of my Dillons - have a couple lying around here somewhere. As this program is so good already - I mean it hit the ground running I'd say - it boggles the mind what you might do with it with time and feedback! Guess I should have brought beer, LOL! Thank you. Larry F

Lyne ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 4:20 PM

file_123486.gif

Is this cool or what? I am going to tell all my friends who do illustrations. I did this with almost no reading of the pdf... just finding out how to move the model in the space, and then how to render. My photoshop 6 took the ai in and converted it... ended up with a tif that I saved to jpg... pretty cool! The render was not shaded, but the final ai that came into photoshop was! :) Thanks for such a fun thing!! I am sure it will be really useful for those who do illustrations and use poser figures! (came here to this thread from the News forum at PlanIT3d) I used Curio's Ent that I bought here at the market place. :)

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

dhenton1000 ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 4:46 PM

Nice Ent! Was that version 1.5 and is that a texture that makes the grey tones?? I don't own photoshop but I've heard rumors that it handles AI files differently than most other programs (sets white to transparent). The reason that I ask is that it creates an interesting hatch pattern that follows the mesh contours. Now that's slick!!

Lyne ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2004 at 11:53 PM

Sorry I have not replied sooner... This Ent is the version sold HERE...and I just turned him around in the Ink program until he looked more shaded in the "light" and rendered...the result did NOT show this shading...my photoshop did that as it converted the AI file as I opened it.... I did note the file was CMYK.... The Ent mesh had NO texture map applied. This was just my first try in the inking program to see how it worked! :)

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.