Mon, Oct 21, 10:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Kukri knife (Ghurka's knife) - WIP - first look

stemardue ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 11:55 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:28 PM

file_124158.jpg

...someone mentioned this kind of weapons are not easy to find as 3d models, so... here's a first result. Suggestions welcome :)

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 12:24 PM

I think the only one I've seen is by PhilC. Your's has fantastic detail...but is it sharp enough to carve a canno?

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 12:51 PM

Looks good, but sometimes the detail of the handle. or grip or hilt or whaterver you call it, can be a let-down. You've cewrtainly got the blade looking good, but something feels not quite right.

stemardue ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:02 PM

agree with AntoniaTiger... the handle needs some work! Oh, don't look at textures now, they are just standard procedural ones...

Calseeor ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:54 PM

Beautiful blade. I really like the "symbol" carved out of the blade near the hilt.

adrianjw ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:22 PM · edited Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:27 PM

Attached Link: http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/history/Kukri_History.htm

For anyone interested heres a link the the origins of the kukri (with a small pic). My Grandad was given one by a Gurkha when he left Burma in 1945, my dad has got it now & it is still razor sharp. The handle is similar to the one in the pic which is different to your model.

Message edited on: 08/22/2004 15:27

RedHawk ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 4:13 PM

Attached Link: HIMALAYAN IMPORTS

Looks like a fantastic start! Generally speaking, though, the blade should be bent a bit more....almost like a boomerang. The hilt generally flares out quite a bit at the pommel as well. Hang on....... Ahh. A quick Google turned up this link I'm including. Hope this helps! :)

<-insert words of wisdom here->

stemardue ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 4:59 PM

file_124160.jpg

Thanks all for the support. I'm browsing some of those links (and i looked through some of those for the initial shape of the model, there are so many variations...) Version b is on the way, with small tweaks to the blade and (i think) a good improvement to the hilt... Also, sorry for my spelling, i put the 'h' in the wrong place in Gurkha. As soon as i finish I'll put this model and/or a Poser version anywhere i find a place (since the space for free files at R'osity is full) for free dloads.

freyfaxi ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 10:06 PM

Thats looking a whole lot better..handle is right this time..except for maybe a couple of minor things. Brass cap at butt would be on the very end, and maybe just a LIL more flare ar butt as well..remember, this blade was used in swinging, 'chopping' motion...one doesn't want it slipping out of one's grip. Do you plan a sheath for blade ? They used to have 2 little tools included on front of sheath..a small knife , and a "steel" for striking sparks to start fire.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.