Sat, Oct 5, 12:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser 4 memory

hipchick ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 8:20 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 12:25 AM

How do you increase memory allocation, for Poser 4 in windows?

Resources for Artists

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 10:32 PM

You don't. Now, if you're having troubles running Poser, you might want to let us know about your computer hardware specifications, and what version of Windows you're using.

hipchick ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 11:36 PM

i have windows xp with 512 mgs of ram 75 gig hard drive. i tried to open V3 and Freak but i kept getting an error message saying I was out of memory and I needed to allocated more memory but I was able to open Stephanie 3 and Poser 4 female. does that help?

Resources for Artists

Gwendolyn ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 2:09 AM

You need to download the Updater to correct this error. Here is the link. http://www.curiouslabs.com/filemanager/download/44/Poser403Updater.exe It should fix your problem. Cheers Gwendolyn

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 9:35 AM

That problem was fixed years ago. Anyone with a current version of Poser should already have the updated version of the program. Poser is rather limited in its vocabulary for error messages. You get the "out of memory" error message a lot. Sometimes you get it when you try to load a figure and you don't have the required Geometry file.

For instance, if you bought the Vicki 3 upgrade version, but don't have Vicki 2. The clue here is that you get a message telling you Poser can't find the necessary Geometry file... then you get the Out of Memory error later.

hipchick ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 9:46 AM

I downloaded the memory updater but it didn't do anything and it's version 4.03.127 yes that's the message I'm getting but the only problem is that there was no upgrade for the freak and I'm getting that message when trying to open the freak as well as V3 and V3 was not an upgrade either.

Resources for Artists

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 2:02 PM

You don't want the memory updater. That is for people who have 1GB or so of memory. Are you getting a message stating Poser can't find the Geometry files before you get the out of memory error? If not, please tell us more about what you're doing. It's easier to comment or provide solutions if we know all the facts first, rather than asking lots of questions and taking wild guesses. For instance, do you have a really complex scene with many characters? Are you trying to add the Freak or Vicki 3 to that scene? Did you get any other error messages before or after?

hipchick ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 6:12 PM

Yes I'm getting the error message stating poser can't find the geometry files before the memory error. No comlex scene. I was trying to open freak and v3 at different times and i got 2 errors about the geometry and then the message about being out of memory. The exact error is as follows: 1)Cannot open RuntimeGeometriesDAZPeopleblFreak.obj 2)Cannot open resource file RuntimeGeometriesDAZPeopleblFreak.obj 3)Your are out of Memory! Please save your work and quit soon. You may also need to increase the amount of memory allocated to Poser.

Resources for Artists

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 6:46 PM

OK, that makes things very simple. Forget all the talk about memory. Something must have gone wrong with your installs of Vicki 3 and Freak. I read the Freak product description, and it was rather confusing. Freak was listed under Michael stuff, but there is nothing stating that Michael was needed to use the Freak. I installed the Freak into a dummy folder (a Runtime folder all by himself). The Freak loaded just fine. That should indicate that the Freak indeed does not require any other character's geometry to work. You might just consider deleting both Freak and Vicki 3 from your Poser installation, then reinstall them. Oh, and in the future, it would help to tell us all the pertinent info up front.

las_61 ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 7:31 PM

file_125023.JPG

Hi hipchick, I don't know if this will help or not but the first thing I would do is check your( RuntimeGeometriesDAZPeople ) for the blFreak.obj file. If it is in the right place than deleter the .rsr file for it. Some times these get corrupted. Also I checked on the curious labs web site and I do believe you do need the updater. They've even added Poser Artist to the name. You may only have 512 physical ram but you have to add virtual to that also those together are probably at least a gig. I think some times we should work at the simple stuff before we start getting all complicated. :)

nakamuram ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 3:49 PM

You are geting an "out of memory error" because your .rsr files are corrupt. Go into your RuntimeGeometriesDAZPeople folder and delete blFreak.rsr. Poser will create a new rsr file for you when you load the Freak.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 4:32 PM

DOH, I feel so dumb. Here is the order of trouble-shooting for "out of memory" errors: 1.) Did you get the "can't find geometry" error first? If so, be sure you have the proper original geometry file. If you don't, then you need to get it. 2.) If you have the proper geometry file, but still get the "geometry" error, then delete your geometry "rsr" file. Quit Poser, and try again. Now tell me, does Poser 5 even use geometry "rsr" files? If they're not used, might the be there anyway?

hipchick ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 4:43 PM

hey that worked, i deleted the blFreak.rsr will and freak opened yeah :) thank you very very much.

Resources for Artists

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 8:01 PM

Poser 5 does not use .rsr files. If I create a figure/prop and save it to a library, only a PNG and a cr2/obj pair (figrues) or pp2 (props) are created. I have only encountered "out of memory" errors in Poser 5 when rendering very complicated scenes using the P4 render engine. Probably because Poser was exceeding the limit of 2Gb per app limit of Windows. This does not happen with Firefly.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.