Mon, Sep 9, 6:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: OT: CL's Website trying to tell us something?

jwhitham ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 3:51 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 4:37 AM

file_125196.jpg

It's actually about a week since I got this screenshot of a php error on their site, but I just found it on my HD and it still amused me, so...

All your Poser 4 images look the same? Upgrade to 5!

John

pzrite ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 4:30 PM

Hmmm, what if the message is talking about Poser 5? Maybe it's telling people to wait until Poser 6? ;) But probably the failure to create image variation can be blamed on the excess use of Victoria 3, not Poser!

jwhitham ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 4:47 PM

Well, it was on the sidebar of the Shade page. I suppose it could be the new Japanese owners have decided to institute a policy of total honesty...

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 7:28 PM

think they are talking about the strong possibilities of textures with the mat room. That said, for that price, there's really no good reason to not upgrade to P5. Except the damned bugs that are still in it. Before they even start working on P6, I'd like to see one more service release, fixing the last few minor problems that exist in P5...

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 7:37 PM

It would be good if they made an SR5.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 7:43 PM

I emailed them asking if they were planning any more bug fixes, but never got a reply...

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 8:07 PM

I'm almost positive they're already working on Poser 6. Who knows what that means about the possibility of an SR5? I sort of doubt one will be forthcoming. I can live with P5 SR4, a few glitches but I haven't found any really serious functionality bugs yet. (Only had it for a month or so, I still haven't used the Face or Setup rooms.)

Byrdie ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 8:34 PM

Last time I checked the product updates page (a couple days ago)it said they weren't putting out any more service releases in favor of working on Poser 6. Guess we'll just have to live with the bugs 'til then. What am I saying -- more likely we'll have an even worse bunch of gremlins to plague us!

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 10:45 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to shake the "preview material" bug?

sargebear ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 11:21 PM

Keep guessing,( snicker , snicker, ) and play with your Daz studio. For only a few people and Curious Labs Knows:) happy rendering:)

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 11:24 PM

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2004 at 11:39 PM

What is the preview material bug?

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 3:54 AM · edited Sat, 28 August 2004 at 3:55 AM

xantor said:
" What is the preview material bug?"

I believe he is referring to the (somewhat rare in my experience, but annoying nonetheless) bug where the material room previews stop working until Poser is restarted. I haven't run into it much, so I've never gotten a mind to chase it down, but one might go hunting for some errant cache file, much like the shadowmap bug had. Message edited on: 08/28/2004 03:55

FishNose ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 7:31 AM

I think we will find that P6 in fact IS an update for P5 in a sense - CL promised long ago already to concentrate their efforts in P6 on fixing things, making it work well, rather than make the mistake of adding more new functionality than they can handle. Certainly a smarter move than with P5, where they put in lots of bells and whistles that barely worked. :] Fish

FishNose ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 7:33 AM

Oh and by the way jwitham: I think that image means to tell us that Poser is not meant for creativity - it can only handle one kind of image, no variations. That is, NVIATWAS of course :o) :] Fish

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 8:51 AM

I'm sticking with poser 4 for now.

My Facebook Page

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 11:19 AM

For its price, Poser 5 remains an excellent item of software and one day, perhaps, D/S studio will become fit to lick P5's boots.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 8:14 PM

What I LIKE in DAZ|Studio is point lights. What I NOT like in DAZ|Studio is all the rest. Except for point lights, P5 is much, much better.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 8:32 PM

Ha! I can't even get Daz Studio to dress my figures. I import Mike, pose him, hunt for his pants/whatever, but there's no way they'll go on. No "conform to figure" button/thingie at all. Not only that, I can't get the thing to render either. Dunno if I'm doing it wrong, but I really don't like the layout. Can't find a darn thing and the image window's too small for my liking. A crowded layout compared to Poser.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 9:50 PM

"for that price, there's really no good reason to not upgrade to P5." computer incapable of dealing with P5, finances incapable of dealing with cost of upgrade to computer.

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 10:04 PM · edited Sat, 28 August 2004 at 10:05 PM

Ouch!!! Can't have a better reason than that.

Message edited on: 08/28/2004 22:05

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 10:07 PM

Got a point there, Charlie_Tuna. But in that case you'd have bigger problems. Computer incapable of dealing with P5 means Computer incapable of dealing with full fledged apps less than 2 years old. No Win2K/XP, no recent version of Office/Photoshop/3d modeling progams/whatever. No games.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 10:31 PM

has photoshop 7 and PS elements, no need for office, has 3 different modeling progs I'm still trying to figure out and don't have win2k/xp (do have Panther 10.3.5)

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2004 at 10:36 PM

Ah, that's it. Macs still are way overpriced, though they are very good machines.

sargebear ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 12:55 PM · edited Sun, 29 August 2004 at 12:56 PM

well then as a Mac user ( G4 and a G5) Use Mac users don't have the problems as PC users have. and of course they are overprice that is IF you want the BEST, for as you said they are Very good machines. so do yourself a favor Buy a mac. the New G5 now can hooked up to your old XP. Macs can read Xp files ,, PC can't read certain Mac files or format them. Macs can. Mac will be gald to accomadate your PC needs. When will PC do this for Macs? don't ask me. ask Microsoft and APPLE,, JOBS vs Gates. Most Publishers around the world and in the movies use Macs,( 90%) some use PC's (10%).. Mac Rules, PC's drools, and wishes they could what we can do.:)

Message edited on: 08/29/2004 12:56

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:48 PM

To each his own. I can't afford a Mac, and the things I usually do on a PC can only be done decently on a Mac since OSX - programming for instance. There's a good reason OSX was programmed on PCs, not on Macs. OSX is the best thing that ever happened to the Mac. Since OSX the Mac is just as versatile as a PC, and in certain (graphical) areas it's definitely better. Still, by building a PC box myself I can get twice the raw power at half the price.

sdittemore ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 10:59 AM

Ummmmm you cant get twice the power at half the price in a pc. What kind of acid are you on? My new Dual 2.0 64 bit .90 nanometer chip will beat the pants off any PC you can buy today... sorry man... its a fact. But you get what you pay for... the Mac isn't cheap. but it is good... Again... check ur facts sarge. Just cause u don't understand/can't afford a Mac... no reason to bash it.... or promote misinformation. Unless you can give me the url of your $1050.00 PC with 1.5 gigs of Ram that will beat my Dual 2.0 G5... :-)

sdittemore ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 11:00 AM

Ummmmm you cant get twice the power at half the price in a pc. What kind of acid are you on? My new Dual 2.0 64 bit .90 nanometer chip will beat the pants off any PC you can buy today... sorry man... its a fact. But you get what you pay for... the Mac isn't cheap. but it is good... Again... check ur facts svdl. Just cause u don't understand/can't afford a Mac... no reason to bash it.... or promote misinformation. Unless you can give me the url of your $1050.00 PC with 1.5 gigs of Ram that will beat my Dual 2.0 G5... :-)

Becco_UK ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 11:08 AM

I'll just stick with my custom built PC and let the "my computer is better than your computer" brigade get on with it. What's a G5 - something to shave with?

Sinadial ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 1:07 PM

...did anyone remember to bring a tape measure?

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 2:13 PM

You got a Dual G5 2.0 for $2100? That's a reasonable price. Last time I looked here in the Netherlands the fastest Mac available was a dual G5 1.25 with 1 Gb at almost 5000. And for less than half that price I can build a dual Athlon64/Opteron system with 4xSATA150/2Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, which indeed is a lot faster than that dual 1.25.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.