Thu, Sep 5, 8:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Looking for this found that...

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:03 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:25 AM

Attached Link: http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2422&y=18099&z=11&w=2

I was looking for blast furnaces and my search turned up the USGS Terraserver project. Greyscale arial photos of asstd cities and harbors, and it occured to me they would make interesting terrains...or if you're just interested in that sorta thing take a look...:)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:13 AM · edited Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:15 AM

file_125468.jpg

Hey I found my house. =). Now you have to play I spy and search the united states for my house... (just kidding by the way)

Message edited on: 08/29/2004 01:15

MoonGoat ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:48 AM

file_125469.jpg

I've been using terraserver for years and while it does allow me to convince my girlfriend that I am an undercover CIA agent, I can't get it to to much use in Bryce. Also, it doesn't quite work well with directory and location finding. It put the pin on the wrong house, when it should be where the blue arrow is pointing.

MoonGoat ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:54 AM

And ornlu's house is none other than 3401 Cornell Road, Agoura Hills, California!

pogmahone ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 2:09 AM

I hope you're BOTH kidding

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 2:50 AM

file_125471.jpg

My street...into a terrain...into a weird cube. Funstuff Zhann, thanks! AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Eugenius ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 2:57 AM

You can turn your house into a Borg cube.Cool ;-)

blaufeld ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 3:23 AM

RED ALERT! ACTIVATE HULL SHIELDING! FIRE TRANSPHASIC TORPEDOES!!! :P

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 4:19 AM

Resistance is futile.....wow AS I didn't know you lived on a Borg cube, cool....:)

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 4:28 AM

Good find Zhann! "Resistance is NOT futile." - Hugh

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 7:15 AM

file_125473.jpg

Damnit! I thought our photonic shielding would be unpenetrateable... :( Oh well. The tip on the arrow is where i live. Cool link Zhann! :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 7:34 AM

file_125474.jpg

I can't believe Rochr's is in color, why's he special? Anyways, here's mine.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 7:38 AM

`Cause he's Swedish, silly. (Damn Swedish get ALL the cool stuff...) AS

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 7:56 AM

file_125475.jpg

Thought I'd see what the area behind me looked like so I zoomed out. About 100 years ago there was a town up the big hill, and in one of the world wars they actually had a prison camp up there, so I've been told. And also at one time there was a potato farm. Recently, they've been logging and some places up there look terrible. I should go up with my camera and take pics of the grave stones. Some families it seems were wiped out in a particular year. Ok enough of my local history.

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:10 AM

file_125476.jpg

We get coloured ones in Uk as well

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

waldomac ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:23 AM

file_125477.jpg

Kind of spooky that the aerial photo I found of a town where I lived for six years was taken while I was living there. The Oldsmobile is not in the drive, so I guess we weren't home. Whew! that was close. Not much danger of finding this place. It's in Texas, but even if the town got figured out, the house is not there anymore. Neither are we. Cool website, btw.

waldomac ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:38 AM · edited Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:43 AM

file_125478.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. This was a very interesting and topographic-feature-filled aerial view, so I thought I'd share it.

It is the town in Colorado where I grew up. The whole place is at its longest and widest eight blocks by five blocks, respectively. From the house by the red dot, my childhood home, I had less than a block out my back door to "the hill," which was a tree-filled alluvial area that led to the cliffs, and I was gone for the day, never to see another person all day.

Incidentally, the elevations just ouside the extreme left of the image and the extreme right actually are about 3,000 feet higher than the town.

Message edited on: 08/29/2004 08:42

Message edited on: 08/29/2004 08:43

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:44 AM

file_125479.jpg

Here's mine.The one in the center. Man, I need to cut the grass!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:52 AM

Dude...is that USGS...or CIA?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 8:59 AM

file_125480.jpg

Here's my house. Looks like it was one of the first to be completed in our little area. The big arrow was a pain in the neck to drive around, but it's gone now.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Redfeather ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:03 AM · edited Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:16 AM

Funny thing about terraserver I went to find my house and it pulled up a house with the same address as mine except its on the north side of town... I live on the southside...But now I know where all my mail is going LOL

Message edited on: 08/29/2004 09:16

captor213 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:05 AM

file_125481.jpg

My apt,my 65' mustang and crappy lincoln

captor213 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:08 AM

Attached Link: http://www.keyhole.com/

Be sure to download the free trial at this site,it allows you to view the earth as a globe,and zoom in just about ANYWHERE,its awesome!

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:20 AM

Dang, my house looks like it's in the middle of the woods. But I really live in a city... And no moon, completely wrong side of the country, lol.

johnyf ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/maps/aerialphotos.html

file_125482.jpg

This is where I live. The link is for British shots!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:28 AM

file_125483.jpg

Scotty, more power to the forward rendering engine!!! We Need MORE SPEED!

johnyf ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 9:36 AM

AS. Brilliant! LOL

brittmccary ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 10:29 AM

file_125485.jpg

Here is where I'm hiding out in the Smokey mountains at the moment. :) I was surprised that the houses show, because it's so many trees surrounding us. Also noticed that the image is from 1994, interesting that there aren't any newer ones. Wonder if that's due to the air pollution which is supposed to be really bad this year

tjohn ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 11:05 AM

file_125488.jpg

My house in the Boonies of Tennessee.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 11:08 AM

Wow Brit-you are really alone out there. Are you planning on staying there in the winter? Yeah funny about the year thing, mine was back in 1995, five years before I moved there. Maybe the higher densitiy places get updated. Not much has changed where I live, no new houses.

Sparr ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 11:38 AM

Lol, I tried to find Area 51, but apparently, theres nothing for it. So, getting as close as I could, I managed to get a picture of it....on a topographical map. Mighty suspicious, hm? Of course, it was from 1989, so then, the base was still a 'secret'. You can check it out at Groom, Nevada, United States...just make sure the guards don't find you looking. They're trained to shoot-to-kill, you know.

brittmccary ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 11:42 AM

Ang.. No. We'll head back to FL mid Oct. I think. We did get the house totally insulated (floor and ceilings) this year, so it should be possible to live here all year around. The only problem is the road. lol we only have a "normal" car, and I think that the people who live up here all year around all have 4 wheel drives. Would be an interesting experiment, though. Funny enough, I do stay here all by myself 3 days a week now. John's going in to Atlanta to work. I feel safer here in any city I've lived in. The only thing that spooks me is all the critter the cat drags in. rofl It is so not fun running around in the middle of the night to hunt for a half dead mouse that the cat proudly drags in to show me. The only thing I can tell you is that I was so glad nobody was here to take a picture of me. rofl

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:39 PM

file_125489.jpg

No it's just little ole USGS. This one's CIA;) Oops! now I'll have to kill you.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:51 PM

OMG Electro they're on your roof!!!! Do you think they use pigeons with spy cams attached to their feet, made to look like those ankle bands birds sometimes have? Can't be using squirrels they're too easily distracted by the birdfeeders. Brit, Don't experiment with snow, hilly roads and a non-all wheel drive vehicle. You wouldn't believe the accidents we have out here and lots of them are on fairly level roads. We have serious problems with snow blowing across the roads thanks to all the corn fields. I am so not looking forward to winter, can I come visit you in florida for say 5 months, lol. Um Electro, how's your gutter work with all that foliage in it?

MoonGoat ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 1:56 PM

CIA site has good maps too. I remember using them for my eighth grade CA history day project. I got really good pictures of the pacific islands. You guessed it, Kon-Tiki.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 2:01 PM

dumb question but how are you european people getting your images? Is it from this link or is there a different place to go?

FWTempest ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 3:57 PM

file_125490.jpg

ok... I gotta play, too... USGS missed the address and got the house across the street... OMG.. is that someone in the pool in the back yard?

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 3:59 PM

Ang, A lot better than it worked last month when I was up here before cleaning them out. I have to do it about four times a year. Id hopet it would stop raining two days in a row before I did it again. The first photo was taken March about two year's ago. Even then you notice the house is half hidden in trees.

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 4:09 PM

Ang I got mine from a site called getmapping, which is a British site which is selling hi res versions of the pics. And they do topography images of the UK as well, which could be interesting if they weren't so darn expensive.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 4:50 PM

file_125491.jpg

I live here, in a secret US government underground bunker, at the base of a 11,000ft mountain in Parachute....well actually the subdivision hadn't been built yet, and the town isn't any bigger either....

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 4:56 PM

file_125492.jpg

comparision

Innovator ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 5:43 PM

file_125494.jpg

cool link Zhann! Heres my home :-) ---the circled area is the waterfall we put in only a few months before this photo was taken

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 10:02 PM

How come some appear to be MUCH closer than others?

Innovator ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 10:56 PM

i dunno..some areas have only a 1km view, while others have a .25 km view (which my picture is of). But Im not sure as of why this is

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2004 at 11:20 PM

file_125495.jpg

Yeah, and some of them can get creepily close... (I must have been in the bathroom at the time) AgentSmith

FrenchToast ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 12:17 AM

Well, I googled around and found a shot of our house, but it says something like "GeoMaps" across it unless I buy the thing.... LoL So much for that.

blaufeld ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 2:06 AM

This is where my mother lives... more or less... coverage outside US is very rare :P

blaufeld ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 2:10 AM

file_125497.jpg

Ops... forgot image... :)

Zhann ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 3:15 AM

Sorta looks like she lives in the twilight zone on the arial view....

ladymist95 ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2004 at 3:27 AM

file_125498.jpg

cant resist anymore just gotta do it aaaahhhhh!!!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.