Fri, Sep 20, 1:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: New Hair

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 11:26 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

file_137105.jpg

Ok, I broke down and bought it.

Nesterenko ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 11:36 AM

Share it, please

JAFO ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 12:08 PM

looks good

Y'all have a great day.

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 1:13 PM

It's the hair from bbay for Michael and the P4 guy. Still trying to decide if it's worth $20 though. Marque

MallenLane ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 2:13 PM

Any specific reason why? ML

Nesterenko ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 2:34 PM

I agree with MallenLane :)()()( But i' m stll know - it's hopeless. Money drive of world... Other words maybe not to you, Marque. I'm understand peoples, if they sold items and it's they's main buisness, but another way ? Poser is production of small firm. It's product which do spirit of free. Maybe, i'm right, Maybe i'm mistaked. P.S. Sorry for english. P.P.S. Comments please. ( - !)

MallenLane ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 2:38 PM

Actually I am the one selling it =) I am just wondering what she finds uncompelling about the price/product ratio. And yes this is currently all I do. ML

Nesterenko ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 2:50 PM

Otherwise, I'ts good hair

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 4:33 PM

Even when I render it anti alias I'm not real happy with the sides close up. I do like it very much, just think it's time I started doing my own and quit spending so much money. As to why I wonder if it's worth $20, it's not a model, just maps...maybe I need to quit being so lazy. Marque 8^)

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 4:57 PM

Whoooaaa ... wait a minute! It's not a MODEL?!? I just went through the absolute HELL that is BBay, and am still waiting to get the damn thing from them even though I paid with PayPal (MAN DO THEY SUCK!!!! See my other posts on why BBay totally reaks!) However, they do have my $20 ... and I thought I was paying $20 for a hair model, not a head texture map. Is that what it is?? Please let me know

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 5:08 PM

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it is a set of three maps no objects with it. Marque

pdblake ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 5:20 PM

Hate to put a dampner on things, the render is very good, almost photorealistic, except for the hair that is. No disrespect to the creator, but it looks like a piece of carpet to me. The fringe just doesn't look right, can't quite say why, just doesn't.

MallenLane ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 5:26 PM

The archive contains 2 hair files; one that fits Michael, and one that has been repositioned and scaled to fit the Poser4Male head. Those files embed the geometry within themselves, so it doesn't need to include a seperate .obj file. If you need to make a morph target you can simply export the hair from Poser for a .obj file to work from. I assure you it is a model, or nothing would show up in poser. It also contains three maps of varying color, and the .pdf manual to tell you what settings to use to get the colors. Poser doesn't support translucency in the renderer so, as Zygote did, to achieve a blond you have to raise the ambient settings. I experimented, and included what I thought were the best settings.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 5:41 PM

Okay, that sounds good to me. Sorry, it's just thay after dealing with BBay nothing would surprise me. I'm sure it will be great. Thanks for the clarification. Regards, Tim

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 7:43 PM

Well I used your settings on it, maybe I'll fool around with it a bit more and see what happens. 8^) Marque

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 7:56 PM

Sorry, MallenLane...looks good,but this offering is overpriced.

MallenLane ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 8:16 PM

I really think it is comparable to what is out there in price. However if the case is that it is overpriced, then I will look for ways to make it more compelling product, and offer a free update to those who already purchased it. I would much rather have satisfied customers who feel confident of future purchases. However, so far I have not heard any exact examples of its shortcomings, and the majority of those who purchased it have not has anything negative to say about it. ML

kennect ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2000 at 10:52 PM

Just to throw in my two cents...I just purchased the hair and so far I am pleased...As far as price goes I have no problem with that..What is different about this versus the pricing Zygote put on the Michael wedgecut?....My only complaint is the fact that I wish more people would do more male hair for the poser figures....I hope that Mallen is successful enough with this effort that he/she will do more....

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 8:55 AM

Kennect: DITTO!!!

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 10:45 AM

I'm not slamming Mallen's work, I'm just saying that on closeup it doesn't look like hair on the sides. I hope there will be an update to it. From the front it looks good, but on a side view even rendered anti-aliased it has swirls in it. I used Mallen's settings, so like I said, hoping for an update. Marque

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 12:18 PM

Here is my two cents ...It basically looks like something that could be done simply by texturing the the actual map with a little bit of smudging in the front. That is why I think it is a little overpriced. The Zygote Wedge cut hair is a more complex model . Not slamming the work and we do need more male hair styles but that is the reason I don't think I will be getting it.

MallenLane ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 1:17 PM

I've started a remodelling of the top and sides to add back in some geometry, I took out before. That should lend some more depth to the top. I will probably also put in a morph that will restyle the front bangs down over the forehead since thats a second variation on it. (some gel up some let it lay down) As I said I'd rather have satisfied customers. =) Its actually a fairly complex model, its just a short hair style so you don't see it, as much as say a sweeping style. The layers are more apparent there. I would wager its much easier to do long flowing hair than something this short where alot of the strands need to show. There are probably 30 individual spikes to do the front. If I had any sense I probably would have done some long hair. ;) Marque: I am not sure what you mean by swirls.

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 2:07 PM

I put up another picture of the blonde hair that shows what I was talking about, hope it helps with the update. And I do love the front view of the hair, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. 8^) Not asking for my money back btw, but if you do update it I would be first in line for a copy. =) Marque

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 4:09 PM

From what I saw it could possibly have been done with one or two crescent shaped things but I am not really a modeller. Mostly do textures so that iis what I thought of. A transmapped crescent ...

MallenLane ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 4:20 PM

That wouldn't provide much depth from the side.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 4:55 PM

Again, I think it's great but also look forward to an update. I couldn't agree more with Kennect and definitely hope that more people support your extraordinary efforts ... as they are badly needed. (That's not to say you can make any old rug for Micahel and people will buy it. ;-) ) -T

kennect ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 7:55 PM

Well it seems from the very beginning that the male poser figure has always been on the short end of the stick..I understand the reason but at the same time I have one problem with it...I really feel for Poser to live up to its true potential the male and female characters should be represented equally....Curious Labs is getting ready to release their Poser Pro Pack that will hopefully open an entire new market(professional) for the program...My concern is that if the new users start looking around for clothing, props, etc. they are going to find a glut of items for the female and very little for the male....I like the hair Mallen has done and I hope to see several more styles from him...I personally don't expect to see Zygote offering much more than the existing wedge cut..I somehow get the idea that they are expecting people like Mallen to fill in the gap with these extra add ons and I am glad he is doing so since nobody else is at this point....Hey but don't pay any attention to me...I just got a bad attitude when everyone started referring to the poser male as being a dork...

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 8:15 PM

A while back I put up a post for more clothes for Mike as well. For people like me who do MUCH more animation work than stills, having equally represented male poser figures is essential. Mike is a fantastic model, but like Ken I wish there were more for him. The response I got on more clothes for Mike was underwhelming to say the least. Of the few who did respond (I think it might have only been PhilC) the attitude was basically ... "Since you can put a Mike head on a P4 Male body, what's the use of creating new clothes for him." Fortunately, Mike brings a lot more to the table than just a pretty face. ;-) Putting his head on a P4 body just doesn't cut it for me. So ... any takers out there? I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to buy new clothing for Mike.

kennect ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 8:24 PM

Sorry, that I got off the subject of the original thread but I can't believe I am one of the few that feels this...But at the very least I am glad to hear that someone else feels the way I do...Hopefully there are others that will read this thread and make some effort towards correcting the deficit...I don't think Mallen can do it all by himself! just kidding, Mallen....

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2000 at 8:46 PM

I use mostly the male figure but can't really model ...

MallenLane ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2000 at 12:07 AM

Clothes are easier than hair..... they don't require a billion layers of transmapped geometry. What specific things are people looking for. ML

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2000 at 1:54 AM

I'm not really interested in period stuff .. msotly contemporary. - A contemporary business suit. Just a nice modern sports coat to go with the existing Zygote clothes would be nice. - A T-shirt - Other Shirts and Sweaters - Shorts - Pushed down (scrunched) white sox - Tennis Shoes - Boots - Military uniforms are always great to have. - Like wise for police/SWAT/etc uniforms If I think of some other items I'll defintely let you know. Thanks for your interest! Regards, Tim

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 19 November 2000 at 2:42 AM

Mallen: Is there any interest in doing any of these clothing items? -Tim

MallenLane ( ) posted Sun, 19 November 2000 at 12:31 PM

I'll have to get back to you on that. ML

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.