Thu, Sep 19, 10:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: trying to create a mood...am i successful?

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 1:33 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:33 PM

file_128198.jpg

I've been working on this image of my brother for several days now. He can look fierce and a bit scary sometimes, but he's a big softie with warm, gentle heart. I wanted to convey that but don't know if I'm successful. He rarely sleeps. Here, he was caught dozing, drifting. I would also like your critique and suggestions. Thanks, TV

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 6:47 PM

He looks like a gentle person that way. But to be honest, the closed eyes put me off. I feel like I'm looking at the sketch of a corpse. I think it would have been better his eyes were open and sleepy looking or something like that, but that's probably not something you can change.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 11:52 PM

thanks for your response! Hmmmm...well, a corpse? Uh...that was not exactly the mood i was crying to create! Guess i will go back to the drawing board with this one or scrap it completely. we'll see... Thanks again! TV

LostPatrol ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 12:42 PM

He looks peaceful as if in contemplation, but "a corpse" I dont think so. I rather like this, and he looks a little like someone I know, not that, that is important.

The Truth is Out There

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 2:11 PM

it's difficult to do a portrait of someone we know intimately, at least for me. I wonder if I'm seeing/feeling the mood/emotions because he's my brother and I know him so well. It's hard to be objective. That's why I posted it here. Thanks, LP

Mikan ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 6:47 PM

"it's difficult to do a portrait of someone we know intimately" - Hmm, don't tell me about it - it's damn hard... About the picture - some mood is there, but I always prefer eyes open - the eyes expression makes the mood in a portrait, don't you think? And closed eyes could not express so many different emotions...the final decision is always in the artist hands...

logiloglu ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 8:58 PM

looks superb. very expressive postwork. !!!!!!!! #:O) !!!!!!!!!

tvernuccio ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 12:02 AM

To Mikan. Yes, you're right about the eyes...the window to our soul. Eyes definitely are VERY important in conveying mood and emotion. I posted an image of my brother in my gallery called "A Glimpse of Me," and here, his eyes were what made the image, at least IMHO. There is a huge challenge in doing a portrait of someone whose eyes are closed, and I do like challenges!!! I guess the reason i so much want to get this one right is because I felt so protective of him here...guess because he's my baby brother. He works SO hard and sleeps very little. This was taken 2 years ago...the last time i saw him. He was just exhausted. And I was happy to see a look of peace on his face. Finally he was resting. Look at his posture. See how his right shoulder is slumping. This was after we had eaten Thanksgiving dinner!!! LOL! Anyway, thank you for your feedback. Glad you understand about portraits being hard to do when it's of someone you're close to. I thought I was the only one who had problems with that. Logiloglu, thank you!!!!! I appreciate everyone's input!!! TV

Tedz ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 9:47 AM

Like the Book cannot be Judged by it's Cover, nor can Your Bro' ...nor Your "Mood that You try to Create"...it inspires Me, to set the Timer on My Camera, when I Cat Nap...and if You go back to the Drawing Board to please all, the "Mood" You were trying to Create...may be Lost :]

tvernuccio ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 3:16 PM

thanks HC! i worked on it last night and finally found something that added just the right touch...at least for me. sounds like an interesting experiment (setting the timer). I love people's eyes. But i also love how people look with their eyes closed too...especially when they're dozing or drifting. i don't see many portraits in the gallery of people with their eyes closed...just in mine!!! LOL! what do you expect from someone who likes sardines for breakfast though??? :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.