Sun, Oct 6, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 12:50 pm)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Ok sort of a challenge :)

Hyria ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 9:23 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:33 AM

For those that want to try it out. A dream catcher. The size and general design is up to the modeler. The trick... Sea shells in the web were normally stones would be placed. If the modelers want to try any other oddity besides stones and shells that would be great too. The model, once finished just post a small render here. The modeler can do whatever he or she wishes to do with their models :) This is for fun. I will even post my feeeeeble newbie attempt at one. Anyone that wants to join in have fun with it :) Take care all :)

Insanity is a waking state...Darkness is a being...Want To Play.........heheheheh

Andi3d ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 10:09 AM

massive grin now there's an idea :-)

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

Andi3d ( ) posted Sun, 05 September 2004 at 3:19 AM

file_126617.jpg

:-) more of a Nightmare Catcher than a dream catcher, but then, I've been told I'm a little odd *wry grin*

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

Hyria ( ) posted Sun, 05 September 2004 at 10:26 AM

Very cool Andi :) (::) (::) (::) (::) (::) 5 cookies for you :) I'm working on mine still O.O Looks great :)

Insanity is a waking state...Darkness is a being...Want To Play.........heheheheh

jtm_11 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 7:19 PM

file_126618.jpg

Here's one made with Povray. You did say oddities didn't you?

Hyria ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2004 at 10:40 PM

OMG, this is terrific. You get 5 cookies also. I love the fire effect and the background makes it pop out.

geoegress ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2004 at 6:51 PM

Taged :)

pstekky ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2004 at 11:19 PM

file_126619.jpg

Thought I would join in here too. Model made and rendered with Rhino, feathers and wolf postwork in Photoshop. JTM, Great image!

jtm_11 ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2004 at 11:37 PM · edited Tue, 07 September 2004 at 11:39 PM

Thanks for the comments everybody. If there are any other pov'ers here that want the source code for it, just let me know.

On edit - hit submit too soon - Great models Andi & Pstekky!

Message edited on: 09/07/2004 23:39

Hyria ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 9:33 AM

Terrific model Pstekky :) Is that a bell in the middle? Terrific touch :) hands Pstekky his bag of 5 cookies :)

Silkie ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 11:05 AM

file_126620.jpg

I"ve been teaching myself how to work with graphics and have played with bryce and poser so I thought I'd join in just to get some more experience under my belt. here's my rendition. I did this with bryce and photoshop.

Hyria ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 8:45 PM

Very coool. The skulls melting and the partial one emerging from the center give a doorway to another place feel O.o Terrific job :) hands silkie a bag of 5 cookies

Hyria ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 8:47 PM

I haven't forgotten guys :) I've gotten as far as the outer and inner rings. I'm stuck on the "webbing" part O.o modeling newbie here ;)

Silkie ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 12:13 PM · edited Sun, 12 September 2004 at 12:15 PM

thank you Hyria! :)

I"m pretty much a newbie myself. what I did was download the ferris wheel model for the webing. It doesn't have much webbing but it sufficed for this project. I ungrouped the objects and deleted everything except for the spokes of the ferris wheel.
I created the torus in bryce and edited to be the ring.

I used the chain thang model for the center piece and merged 2 of them together then ungrouped them and deleted sections I didn't want.

I used the fire texture on any old terrain in bryce and zoomed in on it for the background.

I created all these as seperate pieces and then opened up photoshop. I started with the background image and then placed the ring and chain thang as layers on top of the background. I selected a small circle in the background and deleted that part from the chain thang. Then I added the skull that I already had stored on my computer and moved it to a layer behind the chain thang so that it was coming through the center. I used the blur tool to make it look more gruesome. then I used the smudge tool to smudge the lines of the chain thang to make it look like I wanted.

then back in bryce I created the metaball and brought it over in photoshop to create the string thingies hanging off the sides and bottom of the ring. last thing I did was add the rest of the skulls and blur them.

not sure if this meets the challenge criteria doing it this way but I have no idea how to actually create models. I"m lucky to be able to write my own name, so using graphic software has been an excellent way for me to create what's in my mind's eye.

just thought I'd let you know how I created this so anyone else that's as graphically challenged as I am can pick up some tips.

Silkie

Message edited on: 09/12/2004 12:15

Hyria ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 2:37 PM

Sure It works Silkie :) This is after all just for fun :) ((hugs and take care))

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 7:52 AM

Hi guys,how long have we got to answer the challenge?

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

Hyria ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 9:16 AM

Hi there. How about until the end of October. :) Have fun :)

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 3:06 PM

Sounds good to me :-) I is gonna 'ava go...

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

Hyria ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2004 at 10:17 AM

I didn't forget :) I finally got a little time to do dome modeling. Hopefully I'll get it posted by the end of the week :). Take care all and happy modeling :)

Hyria ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 10:46 AM

file_126621.jpg

I finished it finally lol I modeled the dreamcatcher and the lol "net" I couldn't model the shells so I used soem I had in my props. I can't remember the artists that made them though :( Well have a look at a reeeeaaaaaaalllll newbie modeling attempt lololol Amapi 5.1 :)

Hyria ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 10:47 AM

Yes I didn't postwork so yes the net is waaaayyy off lol I'll do better once I get more time soooo don't laugh toooo hard ;)

RimRunner ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 6:45 PM

Hyria, no one is allowed to laugh AT someone's attempts in here. We're allowed to laugh with you, but not AT you. :) That's the whole point here... to challenge yourself and others. :) No fun if you don't keep learning and trying things you haven't done before. :)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

RimRunner ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 6:46 PM

Oh yeah... and a great entry into your own challenge too BTW. :)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

Hyria ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 7:47 PM

Thanks rimrunner. :) Ya I put the challenge up to learn how model more intricate things and to challenge myself too. :) Have fun :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.