Thu, Sep 5, 8:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Wings 3D free? and on Mac!

bandolin ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 12:23 PM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 10:58 PM

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that Wings was free. So I rushed over the their site and to my great delight its available on Mac. So I downloaded it and launched it. Oh no! Another program to take me away from Bryce :( Wouldn't be awesome if Wings were incorporated into Bryce. They could rename it BryceCrack (as in as-addictive-as). The wings GUI is sparse, but hey, its FREE.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

bazze ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 12:44 PM

Wings works perfectly with Bryce without being incorporated into it. Don't mind the GUI - you will shortly learn the shortcuts / commands. The Bryce GUI isn't that good (poor control and gets really messy in complicated projects) You need a 3-button mouse to operate Wings properly btw.

www.colacola.se

danamo ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, Wings is addictive all right! Call me a heretic, but I love the way the two apps work together.

pogmahone ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 1:44 PM

A friend had a mac, and used Wings. I think there's combinations of keys that you can use with a one-button mouse that lets you use Wings. I've seen them posted on the official Wings forum (linked from main wings website). And I'm sure a question on the Wings forum here would locate some mac users who'd share how they do it.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 2:29 PM

yeah, it's got a Linux version as well, worked fine in Red hat..and as far as I know, Wings will always be free..I use it to create models, do some elementary texturing assignments, then export as .obj, import into Wings, and texture the $%^& out of it..;) have fun..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 4:53 PM

It's all in the camera settings. If you're on a Mac, it'll work with the standard one button mouse by using keyboard keys in place of the other buttons. But to really start moving with Wings you'll need a three button mouse (which is rumored to work on the Macs too.) Wings runs under Erlang, so any computer or OS that Erlang can be compiled and run under - Wings should run there too. (Still wondering if it might run on a cell phone, since Erlang is short for Ericson Language. Of course there'd be some interface and OpenGL issues to figure out. LOL!) As for Wings and Bryce it's about as simple as this. File>Export Lightwave Obj. (Wings: Model objects here.) File>Import Object. (Bryce: Set up scenes and render here.) Just remember to keep the .mtl file with the .obj file and things should work alright.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 7:48 PM

hey, my models already look like they were designed with 2 thumbs..;) maybe I'm just ahead of my time..;)

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 8:21 PM
Forum Moderator

HERESY!!!!!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 8:31 PM

i've suggested incorporating wings into bryce, but that's not gonna happen :/

waldomac ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 12:06 AM

I've used Wings since the beginning. You don't need three buttons either. I use two just fine. Once you try the program for a while, you'll find it is very easy. Wings is, and is set to remain, free. I'd recommend it. In my place of business, I use Rhino and/or Wings for all my projects. Bryce normally is my renderer of choice, too.

pogmahone ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 2:46 AM

Unfortunately Bjorn has said that he's not working on Wings anymore, he's moving on to other projects. But there are other enthusiasts who've been working with him, who'll hopefully take it on :o)

waldomac ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 10:00 AM

Well, to qualify a bit, Bjn has said he is dropping his personal efforts for further development of Wings that will work on Jaguar. He also has said he will be working on Wings for all platforms a lot less than he used, because he has other projects. My observations of Bjn, though, is that he is more prolific on a bad day than most programmers at their very best. Plus, he has said he may rev up Wings again in a few months again, when he "... gets [his] inspiration back." When he was totally jazzed about Wings, back when he first started this project, we used to get four or five new releases a week, and I saw in those days sometimes as many as three in one day, which even occasionally included something large he'd just polished up, along with bug fixes. I agree that we likely will not see anything like that again, but then Wings is pretty awesome as is. If we never saw another release, I'd be a happy camper. It's just a great program. Meanwhile, I do not by any stretch of the imagination proffer myself as a Wings expert, but I would like to say this: I stand ready to lend assistance to anyone who wants to learn Wings. Granted there are things I do not even know about the program, nor use, but I have been able to accomplish almost any modeling task I try with this great program. Another guy, username GetaVe, on Renderosity's Wings forum has put up a high-quality video that goes through a lot of Wings's basic functions for the beginner. It is a 50 mb download, but I would highly recommend it if you want to get a jump start. Here's a link: Beginner's Wings Video

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 11:30 AM

oh..I just tried both of the links, and they don't come up..probably another victim of excessive bandwidth.

waldomac ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 11:48 AM

If the link is down, there is an alternative link. For those who want the links to the video and the player, IM me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.