Sun, Oct 6, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: BVH Motion: GUITAR PLAYING

BrendonGazzard ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 11:22 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 3:14 AM

Hi Guys and Gals ;)

Im just wandering if anyone can help me, im trying to find a BVH Motion/Animation file for V3/M3 Playing a Guitar? Iv looked almost everywhere for one and i dont seem to be ableto find one, iv purchased The DAZ3d Guitar Prop and managed to conform it to the model but i cant make them play it? Iv searhed the forum but it doesnt look like anyones looked or posted anything on here about this, If anyone has any knows or has any ideas where i can get one from it would be really appreciated.

Thanks for you time peeps ;)

P.S Keep up the good work, all you guys and girls are doing a great job :)

Brendon.

Message edited on: 09/20/2004 11:23

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 11:33 AM

I've never seen any, either. I would guess it's an incredibly difficult thing to do, due to the many different ways a player can hold a guitar. For example, I wear my guitar rather low, but not as low as Jimmy Page used to, but there are numerous guitarists who have theirs waist height or above. Schlabber has a couple of guitar playing poses but that's about it. You may be as well trying to create your own, from a few basic poses, but even static poses can be a pain in the arse if you want the hand positions and shapes to look convincing.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 12:20 PM

Classical guitar should be somewhat easier since there is a standard sitting posture and guitar position - albeit unenforced and varied! ;) Either way, the dynamics of both hands and arms to accomodate some chordings and various picking techniques can be complex. What would be really cool is if someone were to make a plugin/stand-alone app that would translate guitar tablature (musical notation would be ambiguous) into finger/hand/arm positions along a 3D guitar's fretboard and strings. This would be akin to Mimic, but obviously more complex due to the need to correlate the parts of one figure with those of another figure/prop. Then, of course, 'stage' dynamics would be wholly up to the user to bring the player to life. Stop staring at me! :) This is one task that I have no time for at the moment.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

linkdink ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 2:47 PM

...if you want the hand positions and shapes to look convincing. < Yes, it would be very time consuming to make it look real to another guitar player (like me...). But, it probably wouldn't be that hard to make it look as convincing as those non-musician actors do on TV when they pretend to play (which is to say, not very convincing). It always makes me laugh, but then again, I don't know how it looks to non-guitar players. Recently I saw a pretty obscure '60s flick called "Psych Out" starring an early Jack Nicholson as a leader of a band. Wow, that had to be the worst fake guitar playing I've ever seen! (sorry, Jack). LinkDink

Gallery

odeathoflife ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 3:08 PM

I had a couple of years ago I think, guitar poses for poser, not sure what happended to them but they were posed based off of how I play guitar. They could have been included in a guitar pack that I did, I will search through my discs to see if I can find them. They I believe for Mike, so wouldn't work too well with the v3 characters, but might be a good start.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

Methastopholis ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 9:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/freestuff.ez?Form.Contrib=ockham&Topsectionid=0

here i had the same kinda of questions you got to look at it in a different way. Little more complex but will look realistic use (ockham sound scape) and parent your sound file to the instument or gun or car etc. or what ever needs a sound effect like on a gun thats has a movable trigger. you can parent a gunblast so that when ever you have your character pull the trigger it will add that specific sound at the frame or frames you want it to last for. you can have mutiple sounds layers for differnt prop,figure etc. with out having to be sound tech guy to and perfect sound effect to your animation. like cut the song up to how you like it and then on the guitar parent a part of the song to each string of the guitar like intro s in your song. and the rest you'll have to improvise hope this helps i kinda have done something similer and this got it done . but im no expert ps You can alos still inport background sound. & Mimic at the same time

linkdink ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 9:32 PM

Methastopholis, Those look like some very interesting scripts. I don't have Poser 5, but plan to get it soon, and look forward to playing with those musical scripts. Thanks, LinkDink

Gallery

BrendonGazzard ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 12:27 AM

Thanks guys, this has been a real help, the only thing im not too sure on is the Music thingie, im kinda new to Poser and am still trying to get to grips with the main functions, im not quite sure how to use scripts? any help on this would be cool, thanks again peeps :) Brendon.

Methastopholis ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 8:42 AM

file_129775.jpg

well scripting is not for the beginer but with sound scape ocklam has already dont it 4 you all you have to do is follow the instrutions on the script program .soundscape in the free area

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 9:21 AM

What SoundScape could do for an instrument is to make the "strum" sound respond to the plucking action of the fingers. It wouldn't be able to map the fretboard action to the tablature, though. Toward that goal: I have done some instrument scripts using MIDI to drive the action. Notably an alto recorder with proper fingering for each of the limited range of notes it can play. For basic chording the MIDI-to-guitar would be simple enough. If a set of PZ2's exists for each chord, I could rig up a driver that would locate the combinations in the MIDI file and set the appropriate PZ2 in place, followed instantly by a generalized "strum". But for full-fledged playing it would be much harder; since, as you mentioned, most notes can be struck in several different ways, there would have to be a mechanical rule to determine when each possible action is used.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.