Wed, Sep 18, 11:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Sky Captain Reference Photos...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 2:59 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 5:06 AM

Attached Link: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sky_captain/photos.php

Yes, I know, I'm OBSESSED by this movie! I think its a great work of ART, and it's already a movie classic.

I found a very good website for anyone interested in LOTS of Hi-Rez reference photos- 56 to be exact, plus Hi-Rez movie posters too. WWW.RottenTomatoes.Com has the best selection and they are in low and hi-rez formats...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 3:04 PM

One of the things I hope we can get out of this is a GOOD Pilot Flight Jacket (not ANOTHER motorcycle jacket) and some good 30's-40's style clothes for V3.

Some people say Gwen Paltrow (sp?) looks like Lauren Bacall
(sp?), but I think she looks like Veronica Lake- my favorite 1930's Blonde Bomber babe...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 3:10 PM

It's hard finding good reference photos of the British Sky Aircraft Carriers, however. I searched all over the web and this one from the site listed above is the only pic I could get.

But you can download a free Sky Captain PC game- which isn't great- but allows you to fly through New York and land on the Sky Carriers- its sort of like a Flight Simulator beta. You can make screen captures from that!

I guess the people who made it how to get the complete rights to a full-blown game version...

Finister ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 7:14 PM

I just saw that movie too and I agree, that's a way cool genre/theme for Poser stuff.

droyd ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 7:23 PM

Loved the movie and so did friend of mine and his kids. The kid's said when going to see Phantom Menace....is it over yet? This is another movie Lucas should have to sit thru strapped to a chair with his eyelids pried open.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 7:52 PM

I've read that Speilberg has obtained the rights to "War of the Worlds" and that the project has now been put on the Fast Track. Speilberg wants to get back into the film genre that he loves- Classic 30's Era Movies. "The War of the Worlds," the classic H.G. Wells science fiction novel that begins with those foreboding words of alien observation, will be updated by director Steven Spielberg, with Tom Cruise to star, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks announced.

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 8:01 PM

here's the scoop on War of the Worlds, both versions. yes, Spielberg is making it. an undated, set in modern day version... meanwhile... (from an earlier post of mine) "earlier this year Speilberg announced his intention to remake War of the Worlds. a modernised version set in the present day. this disappointed many fans of the book, (myself included). but announced a week ago... Pendragon Pictures has just completed principal shooting on "The Great Boer War" in reality... The War of the Worlds !!! in your face spielberg!!!! the Pendragon movie is a faithful rendition of the book. Set in the 1890's in England.. and including The Battle of the Thunderchild :) excuse me while I go and be a giddy schoolboy allover again... http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/sfnews2/04_sept/news0904_9.shtml http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html http://slashdot.org/articles/04/09/15/1421201.shtml?tid=97&tid=214&tid=1 " the race is on... modern remake/rethink vs the actual book as written ... go Pendragon!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 8:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.animationartist.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=27539

Here's a link to an article on how "Sky Captain" was made.

They shot it on HD Video and edited it on Mac's using Final Cut Pro, then it was transferred to film.

Most of the 3D models were made in Maya.

The technical Special Effects artists and EFX contributors reads like a "Who's Who" of the special effects business. The CREDITS for these people seems to run almost 10 minutes! You can also catch this list at the end of the linked article...

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 8:16 PM

That picture in message eight looks like a scene out of king kong (not the newer, sucky version) maybe that was deliberate?

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 8:35 PM

Attached Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346156/combined

Actually- HERE's the CREDITS List... ******************************************************** Writer-Director Kerry Conran's next project may be: In 2006 "Princess of Mars" Plot Summary: Civil War vet John Carter is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ However, there is now talk that if Sky Captain does really well that Jude Law wants to to move ahead to a Prequel which would be about the characters in Nanjing, China- ...which is hinted at in Sky Captain's plot.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 8:46 PM

Yes- that the whole stylistic concept behind "Sky Captain"- that it is a homage to LOTS of great 1930's movies. There are references to War of the Worlds, King Kong and quite obviously Wizard of Oz, among many famous 1930's movies.

That's also why some of the younger viewers of this film, or those without a good Film History background, don't seem to "Get" the Sky Captain movie. They seem to expect it to be a standard Hollywood Garbage product and don't understand why the characters in Sky Captain speak and act in a 1930's movie style. This ISN'T supposed to be a MODERN movie. It's also supposed to be "tongue-in-cheek", meaning a clever, witty play upon the whole genre of 30's films.

nomuse ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 9:53 PM ยท edited Wed, 22 September 2004 at 9:55 PM

"The War of the Worlds," the classic H.G. Wells science fiction novel that begins with those foreboding words of alien observation,

"..by intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic." From memory. I also caught what seemed a strong reference to Lost Horizon, esp the stark grey-scale look of the mountains.

Message edited on: 09/22/2004 21:55

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 10:07 PM

I remember Flash Gorden and King of the Rocketmen in B&W... no I'm not THAT old, they used to show them on BBC1 saturday mornings about 8am ;) and I read a lot of old SF / Horror.. HPL anyone?

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 10:07 PM

I noticed the lost horizon scene, too. (The first picture in message 10).

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2004 at 10:14 PM

Yes, you got it! Plus there are many more brief "cameos" by other famous 1930's movies in "Sky Captain". You have to be a real film buff to spot them all...

Lost Horizon, 1937- Starring Ronald Colman
British diplomat Robert Conway and a small group of civilians crash land in the Himalayas, and are rescued by the people of the mysterious, Eden-like valley of Shangri-la. Protected by the mountains from the world outside, where the clouds of World War II are gathering, Shangri-la provides a seductive escape for the world-weary Conway.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 2004 at 12:55 AM

Instead of Vicky in a Temple, what we really need is:

---Veronica in Radio City Music Hall!

(How about some Poser modelers switching from the endless stream of ancient temples we have for Poser and instead making a some classic 1930's temples?)

Finister ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 2004 at 2:45 AM

file_130108.jpg

Sorry, I fell in love with Polly

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 2004 at 1:22 PM

Attached Link: At the mountains of what?

Somebody mentioned HPL...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.