Wed, Sep 25, 9:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 9:18 am)

Subject: Products and poser 4

drhess ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 7:25 PM ยท edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 9:16 AM

Hi. Just started with Poser today. Fun! I got Poser Artist (4) and now I'm wondering what kind of additional prodcuts or files won't work with it? Also, how do I make my own textures and skins for my little digital army?

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 10:51 PM

P4 uses BUM files in the Bump channels. You might have some problems with products and freebies that reference a jpg in the bump channel (as PP and P5 use the jpg). You will not be able to take advantage of P5 specific stuff, like dynamic cloth and hair; shaders and nested folders. If the tnails are in png format you will need to either resave the item to get a tnail or use P3DoExplorer (free version is out there) to convert them. And you can out put a texture map from the obj files using UVMapper (which is free) and you can paint new textures using Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or some other graphics program (like the GIMP, which is free). Take the time to get to know the Poser file formats and which folders you can and can't move or rename, it will save you much frustration. Scrounge the freebies for goodies. And welcome aboard. :) Hope that helped some. --Rebekah--

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 1:01 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&FAQ=Y

Absolutely, 100% back everything Rebekah said, and I'll point ya here, too!

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 1:04 AM

Thanks!! Is there a way to tell Poser where to place something besides the dials? For instance, can you get a reading on where a hand is and then enter it's 3d coordinates for another hand or prop?

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 1:43 AM

Right clicking on the dials will allow you to enter a set number, but the dials are actually where all the info is.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

sixus1 ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 2:14 AM

I didn't know that link was for Poser....it says for the Poser Forum FAQs....they should reword that. ---Rebekah--

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 10:35 AM

Just about everything out there is designed to work with Poser 4. Sometimes you'll see some items that say they're designed for Poser 5 only. But that is a small percentage. Remember, Poser Artist is really Poser 4 in a different box. The biggest pain is the need to convert the jpg bump maps to BUM format. That will take lots of time, and you may have to hunt for the files to convert. Sometimes they'll be labelled "texturebump.jpg," and sometimes cryptic names such as "textureb.jpg."

sixus1 ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 10:38 AM

I list the files that need to be converted in the ReadMe :) Personally, I think that CL should have simply updgraded P4 for free with the functionality of PP. It sure would make my job easier ;) --Rebekah--

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.