Wed, Sep 18, 3:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: St. Helens erupted!

MoonGoat ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 6:05 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 3:52 PM

After 19 years of silence, the volcano blew again. You know what this means: Bryce Forum head count. Anyone with interesting stories?

MoonGoat ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 6:16 PM

Attached Link: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/fc/Science/earthquakes_and_volcanoes/latest_developments/*http://s

Excerpt from Yahoo News story: "Mount St. Helens, the volcano that blew its top with cataclysmic force in 1980, erupted for the first time in 18 years Friday, belching a huge column of white steam and ash after days of rumblings under the mountain. The noontime eruption cast a haze across the horizon as the roiling plume rose from the nearly 1,000-foot-tall lava dome, forcing Alaska Airlines to cancel flights and divert others around the ash."

danamo ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 7:52 PM

I was out in my garden picking tomatoes when I heard the news. I climbed up a ladder onto my roof and had a clear view of the whole thing! Unfortunately I left my digital camera at my friend's house or I would enclose a pic here. I think the old girl had a bad case of gas,lol. Now that she's released some pressure with that outburst of steam and gas, her tremors have subsided. Selfishly I'm hoping that this has been "much ado about nothing". A quiet volcano is a much better neighbor,lol.

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 7:58 PM

That's too cool danamo! You are close enough to actually see it? I am too far away in Bremerton. Scientists are saying not to be surprised if she "farts" again in the next few days, but it will not be as bad as 1980.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 8:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

It even has a web-cam. Provided you catch it at the right time, you might see it steaming.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

erosiaart ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 8:43 PM

I just woke up... dwnloaded my mail..and I have realised..I read my news on the bryce forum! :-) Danamo..u won't get affected, me hope? Or anyone else? Pauljs, have the webcam on.. wonders of technology..looking at a volcano spurt or fume from across the globe. St Helena's look so pretty now, in the sunset..lovely orange hue.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 9:30 PM

I never was good in math, but wouldn't 1980 be 24 years ago?..;) alas, I'm old enough to remember it..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 10:55 PM

It's that new math Pakled. ;) One scientist on the news called it a hiccup. An occasional show once in a while is a spectacular thing, but not when she gets nasty and kills 57 people, or was it 53?

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 11:29 PM

We blew out the web cam..LOL I just went to check it out and it has a note on the page that says the Forest Service Server got overloaded!

danamo ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 11:51 PM

@ Colette1, when I lived next door to where I live now, I could see the mountain every day through the kitchen window. I was a kid then and I am well old enough to remember the previous eruption. St. Helens was a Fugi look-alike back then, sleekly covered in a thick blanket of ice and snow. Then came the 1980 eruption and the mountain went from being the ninth tallest to the thirtieth tallest in the U.S. But then, Mt. Raineer is closer to you, and it's not exactly extinct either. I guess there are drawbacks anywhere you live,lol.

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 1:13 AM

Yes, but when Mount Rainier erupts, beer will come out instead of lava. :^)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 2:24 AM

tjohn. When Ruapehu stops mucking around with little squirts of steam and rocks the whole world will be drinking beer, and the Aussies will finally get some REAL beer. Cheers "hic" 8) GG.

WHO said Kiwi's can't Fly ?????

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 3:03 AM

Lol@tjohn!

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 3:09 AM

Ooops! My previous post should be ammended to read-" St. Helens was a Fuji look-alike back then".

Colette1 ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 10:48 AM

@danamo, I know, I just found out from my son he learned in school years ago (he's 11 by the way) that Mt. Rainier was a live volcano. I had to look it up..LOL he is a jokester and I just knew he was pulling my leg. No such luck..LOL... but I now look at the mountain with a whole new respect. So did you have all that ash to clean up with the 80's explosion? I remember news coverage about that one, lived in AZ at the time. LOL @tjohn: as long as it's not Budweiser

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 3:53 PM

@Colette, ironically I was living in L.A. when the mountain blew and I made a speedy trip home to check out the situation first-hand. My brother and sis-in-law were living in the house where I live now, and I remember going up on the roof with them and sweeping the ash off. The gutters and downspouts were packed solid with fine ash and it was hard to clean them out. My folks came down from their place on Puget Sound(they saw and heard the explosion while they were out on their boat) to check on my Grandmother. Normally it took them less than two hours to drive to Vancouver, but due to the ashfall, visibility reduced traffic speed to about five miles-per-hour on the I-5. They describe the seven hour ordeal as surreal and nightmarish. We changed air-filters on our cars about five times in one week,lol.

Colette1 ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 6:22 PM

Wow..that's a lot of ash! I live on the Puget Sound so if she blows really big again I may get to hear it? God forbid..I am not wishing it to happen. Especially since earthquakes come with it and those terrify me for some reason.:) Is anyone going to do a Bryce render of Mt.St. Helens? There, I mentioned Bryce...LOL I am not sure I could do it justice.:(

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 6:32 PM

Hey Colette, you might be able to download a .DEM file from the USGS and import it into Bryce if youre a stickler for authenticity. But Im sure you could do it justice by editing a terrain in the terrain editor and using a photo for reference.

Colette1 ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 6:36 PM

Thank you Quest. I am now going to have to give it my best shot...just for the vote of confidence.:)

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2004 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, you go girl! Blow the top off that sucker! ;)

danamo ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2004 at 12:00 AM

I say go for it! Setting yourself a grand challenge is one of the best ways to help you grow in knowledge in this wonderful field, or hobby. If you need any help or advice just holler.:-)

Colette1 ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2004 at 8:30 AM

Okay, challenge accepted...LOL So if you don't hear from me for awhile you'll know why. danamo, don't worry I know of this really cool forum where the people make you feel lke family and are really very helpful and kind! So I know I'll get all of the help I need. Thanks...

pogmahone ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2004 at 11:45 AM

Just saw on TV warnings that the danger level has just increased, they're moving people back a long way. They can hear magma on the move.....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.