Fri, Sep 20, 3:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: Slightly off topic but Tranatlantic price difference

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 1:15 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:35 PM

I had decided to bite the bullet and purchase a copy of Poser 5 through the internet. At first I was quite pleased to see a price of $169.99 USD (approx 95 UKP) but noticed it couldn't be shipped outside US.

I then went to UK Amazon and found a price of 349.99 UKP (approx. $624 USD). I then checked out the upgrade price, in case I was not comparing like with like, at UK Amazon they quote 155 UKP (approx. $276 USD).

I tried to establish if the US product was the real deal or the upgrade but it wasn't labelled either way and made no mention in the system requirements of having to have version 4.

What I wondered was could someone in the US just give me a current retail price for the full Poser5 package. Basically, if I'm expected to pay $624 USD for no doubt an identical product to what I would get for $170 USD in the US then I refuse to do it.

If however the price is more realistically $500-$600 USD in the US for the full version, then I will bite the bullet. Maybe treat myself for Christmas.

Unless I am wholly mistaken and Poser5 in the UK ships with gold wrapping paper just justify the cost difference.

TamiL ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 1:47 PM

http://store.curiouslabs.com/trade/entry/105/?countryiso=US Download version is $199 and upgrade is $89 US. Don't know if it would work but a few European customers were able to order Shade 7 this way by bypassing the European site.

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 1:51 PM

Just done that, thanks. Hope no-one is watching. ;)

TamiL ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 2:09 PM

hehe

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 2:10 PM

Another workaround could be to set you computer clock to the US time.

Jovial ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 2:51 PM

Hi,
I did the rounds with amazon.com and amazon.co.uk too and it was never clear why the US price was so much lower than in the UK.
You can, however, buy a full Poser 5 boxed product (for $199) from
http://www.pcconnection.com
Home and office site (search for poser)
They are US based but happily ship to europe for approx $30 and you will have to pay a small import tax too.

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 2:59 PM

bet tax and post isnt up to $400 though

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 3:30 PM

Guess what folks..no dice with renderosity. They've just turned me down. Can only ship to Canada or US. Would have been a nice tip to give me this info BEFORE they took my money!

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 3:55 PM

To wrap up my tale, direct purchase from Curious Labs (as suggested by Renderosity) is $355 USD (199 UKP)....hmmm. Now if I can get my money back from Renderosity..

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 5:04 PM

When I bought P5 a year ago it was through Dabs, but was the upgrade -- I'd taken advantage of a Poser 3 freebie on a computer magazine cover disk. Rather less than the current US price. Amazon is getting expensive on a lot of things.

stahlratte ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 5:50 PM ยท edited Tue, 05 October 2004 at 5:53 PM

Can you say corporate GREED ???

$400 MORE for selling international is RIDICULOUS.

Id say the easiest fix would be if you just purchase a boxed version of Poser 5 on US ebay (ebay.com).
Or perhaps someone located in the US can purchase it for you and ship it to the UK.

Btw, German Amazon wants EUR 329 ($ 400) for a boxed Poser 5 item, while the same item can be had for EUR 299 ($350) on ebay Germany.
(Still way to much compared to the original price)

stahlratte

Message edited on: 10/05/2004 17:53

Torulf ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 8:11 PM

It is legal to sell/purchase Poser on e-bay? must it not the trade be regigstred by CL?

TG

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 3:36 AM

I live in Denmark and I bought Poser5 as download from Curious Labs in May and I paid 199$. I just checked back to Curious Labs website and I think the purchase area looks different than before and I can't find that price again. Many times when I want to buy products on the net I notice a huge different in price, just because I live in europe. I have made it a habit to always the check the box saying us if I have the choice and that have saved me a lot of money.

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 2:14 PM

Just to let you know folks that it's in the post (thanks for the tip Jovial) and only $227 USD (126 UKP)and that includes $30 USD shipping! Gosh, I won't lose any sleep over not paying Amazon an extra $397 USD (224 UKP)for an identical product. Once again I would like to thank you all for your advice and experience. This is what the internet should be about. After all I only want to pay a fair price for a fair product.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.