Wed, Sep 25, 3:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 2:58 pm)

Subject: Is the P5 Upgrade worthwhile?

dontbotherme ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 11:51 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 7:11 AM

Hi, I've been away for several months or so and the last I remember is that P5 had some annoying problems and was not a resounding "Buy Now" item. Has this changed?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 12:36 PM

IMO, yes. P5 - on my system, at least - is as stable as P4/PP and capable of much more. It's not too difficult to get to grips with, if you concentrate on one new feature at a time. The one downside that I can think of is that it needs a fairly hefty machine to run on. It's a little slower than P4 but then, it does a heck of a lot more. I've been using P5 for about 10 months and I honestly would not go back to P4 now.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 1:05 PM

In a word, yes.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

sdittemore ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 1:37 PM

Completely... Im on a Mac but if its stable on a PC the features are well worth it. Its running great for me on my dual 2gig g5

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 5:32 PM

I'd go with SamTherapy, except for the caveat that I went from P3 direct to P5 ('cos I didn't have internet connection then so didn't know about P4).. :-) Maybe I got lucky, but I've been using P5 for some time now and am very happy with it. OK, it has its faults, but with the latest SRs installed it is (according to what I've read in this forum, and others): - At least as stable as P4/P4-Pro - A bit slower in some aspects than P4 (esp. rendering). - Has several major advantages over P4 (mainly: the cloth room, for dynamic clothing; the Firefly renderer for ray-tracing effects; the materials room for much more control over the appearrance that can be applied to an object or figure. Also there's Hair room (which I'm still trying to come to "hair-grips" with) and the face room (which I've left totally alone since I discovered that it only really worked with Don and Judy, and never to my satisfaction at that). Oh, and "Contents Paradise" which (IMHO) should be eliminated ASAP..:-)) All in all, I reckon it's a very worthwhile upgrade. It needs a bit of time to get to grips with its new features, but I really think it's worth the effort. Cheers, Diolma

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 7:55 PM

... and the last I remember is that P5 had some annoying problems ....

The same could be said for P4, of course. :/

getjolly ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 11:06 PM

Yes, its feature rich, dynamic clothing, hair, and the firefly renderer...what more can you want? Jolly

Jolly : CP Store :

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 1:22 AM

If it wasn't for P5, I wouldn't be here.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 2:08 AM

I've had Poser 5 for a couple years, and find no need to go back to Poser 4. You can concentrate on using Poser stuff, right out of the box. With Poser 4, you need to convert your bump maps, etc. That can be a royal pain.

There are a few Poser 5 rooms many of us never use. But all the other features are great.

jehllm ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 6:53 AM

yes - like the file organzation - you can finally put in all those pose files and organize the characters, and props, which rapidly get out of control, never using the characters at the bottom of the display. Then the morph controls are much, much better, and easier to see which dials have been changed.

rreynolds ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 11:21 AM

I'm not sure when Poser 6 is supposed to be released, but there's been enough talk about it and, now that Curious Labs has already released the English version of Shade, it's probably their primary project right now. My thought would be to hold off making the jump because CL, like most software companies, doesn't provide a large discount to customers who purchase their software. Upgrading from P5 to P6 will probably initially be a $150-$200 investment.

dontbotherme ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 11:26 AM

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the imput. I guess I have been away longer than I thought. Waiting for 6 might be a good plan.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 3:08 PM

It might just be a good idea to wait. It's been two years since Poser 5 came out, and it seems like most online stores or Poser merchants still don't properly support Poser 5's features. For instance, I'm hopping mad at all the work I need to fix bump maps in MAT Pose files. Curious Labs did say Poser 6 will really just be a fixed version of Poser 5. I refuse to pay for a bugfix!

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 5:20 PM

Actually, what they said was that P6 was more for improving and enhancing what already exists, and that users shouldn't expect -too many- new features. Not that there will be =no= new features.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 6:20 PM

That's pretty much the same thing, just different words.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.