Tue, Oct 22, 4:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Ivan Experiences

deevee ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2004 at 9:04 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:55 AM

I do not know if this is the right place for this, but so many have inquired that I decided to get this information out. If it is in the wrong place please inform me and I will place it there. Hello everyone: 6-1/2 weeks later,,, never thought that I'd be away this long. What an experience!! and, we were extremely lucky having heeded Taron's appeals and accompanied him to his office (shelter). At around 8pm on Saturday night (Sept 11) our Avocado tree came tumbling down and with it Joseph's 60 ft.ham radio tower and antenna.The crash on the edge of the house had us shaking; Ivan was close by. Taron contacted us and after several attempts to get us to leave home, Joseph agreed and about 10pm he and a friend came for us. The ten minute ride was scary as the wind was very strong and the roads were deserted. We spent two nights in the building with many other Deloitte staff and their families in a safe and well organized environment. Each family was assigned an office or work station where we pitched our blankets/comforters, pillows etc. Some of us spent time at the windows watching the devastation as the wind removed roofs, fences and even a 40 ft. container, below. We were on the fourth floor. At around midday on Monday, we ventured out, walking, to see what damage had been done. What we saw was no indication of the destruction elsewhere on the island, especially to the coastal areas on the Southern & Eastern sides. We came home to find our house completely flooded by rain and salt water. The roof over two bedrooms contained gaping holes and because of this, the sheet rock ceiling fell in and, what a mess- mixed with water it became white mud messing up everything in sight. All furniture, books on lower shelves, items in the clothes closet and on bedside tables had to be thrown out. Tracey and Matthew were with us so we lived out of one room and slept on the most comfortable couch or pull out bed. Without running water, light and land phones, we survived. Taron experienced very little damage while Tracey had a window blown out and also suffered from flooding. Each family was given a care package (items flown in from the US). and various organizations went door to door handing out ice, drinking water and other necessities. The huge water trucks went through the neighbourhoods giving out non-drinking water. Two of our three large supermarkets were not functioning. The third opened its doors days later and we had to form the longest line in order to enter, ten at a time. Interestingly, anything purchased from all opened stores or payments made for services rendered was on a cash basis only, so the lines at the banks were even longer since no ATM machines were working. Oh, I must mention of some looting that occured mainly by non-Caymanians. Another great problem was the stealing of generators. We heard of a running generator being replaced by a running lawn mower and was only discovered when the air was no longer cool - the fan was off because the generator had disappeared. People then had to chain the generators using various size chains according to the district in which one live. Because of the damage done to so many buildings, housing is at a premium. Many are still in shelters while others are bunking with friends. At last all of our utilities have been restored and work has begun on our roof. It will take some time to complete since the island is out of matching shingles. The latest bone of contention is the battle with the Insurance companies, especially motor coverage. Thousands of cars have to be written off because of the salt water. Some vehicles were entirely covered while others, like mine, are running but very noisy. The mechanic has recommended that it be written off, however, the Insurance manager says that their representative must take a look at it before a decision can be made...so, I wait. Immigration restrictions have been relaxed and duty on replacement items have been reduced. The Government is doing all in their power to ease the burden and assist in getting the financial and tourism sectors back on track. They are hoping to have cruise ships back in port by November 1st, so this week- end there was a massive drive spearheaded by the private sector to clean up the tourist locations and tour routes. Lawn maintenance companies and any one with a big or small truck are literally 'cleaning up'. The charge for transporting one's debris to the dump can range from $150.00 to $1,500.00 and more according to the size pile and the honesty of the drivers. This morning Joseph and myself transported eleven 55 gal bags in his explorer, making two trips. We had to drive into the interior to dump dry leaves and by the time we returned, the first bags deposited had already been removed by one of the many tractors on the job. The area for dumped cars was about 3/4 of an acre and as high as a three story building. It's the consensus that Ivan has taught us a few lessons; among them being patience, especially while driving through intersections with non-working traffic lights; another, we can survive with less and we are Blessed to be alive. This has been a brief run down of our Ivan experience and of the conditions on the island. We thank you all for your prayers and the many phone calls which were never received. Your concern is very much appreciated. God Bless, Marva & Joseph.

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2004 at 9:22 PM

Thanks for the news ! It's good to see you are safe.

nhirschberger ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2004 at 10:39 PM

Thanks for the information ! I would like to hear better news but I'm glad you survived. Good luck for the recovery. Norbert

wabe ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 1:20 AM

Oh yes, good that you survived and are back. I am sure the rest will be sorted out. If you need anything that we can help you with please feel absolutely free to ask. I am sure a lot are more than willing to help if they can.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

sacada ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 4:13 AM

Great to see you back, Joe.

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 6:37 AM

Glad to hear you're save. I hope things will be sorted out soon.

lingrif ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 6:47 AM

So glad you wrote. I've thought of you often. Ever since my experience with Charlie (and the other storms), I've also thought of things differently. This year has brought a new perspective to many. Thank God you are safe and sound.

www.lingriffin.com

Polax ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 7:01 AM

A dramatic experiment to live.. best wishes for the future, Glad you and your family are safe.

Jilly ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 7:17 AM

Phew, that's an experience and a half. Glad you're all safe.

Flycatcher ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 6:27 PM

Sounds an absolute nightmare scenario! I'm delighted to hear that you survived uninjured, but you have my deepest sympathy sorting out all the mess and getting life back to normal.

FrenchKiss ( ) posted Tue, 26 October 2004 at 11:23 AM

Horrendous! Glad you're slowly making a slow come-back Joe and hope all will be back to normal very soon. We were all rooting for you and elated that you're safe as well as your family.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 26 October 2004 at 4:27 PM

ACKKKK!!! What a nightmare! So glad you you back & everyone is alive & well.

ShadowWind ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 1:52 AM

The aftermath sounded a lot like we had here with Jeanne and Frances. Sounded horrific, but glad you made it through okay...

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 10:58 AM

Joe, that's a frightening letter...but so glad you and your family and friends survived ok! It's times like that when we find our inner strengths, that's for sure. Davy and I are glad you're on the road back to normal life there, even if it's a bit slow...and don't hesitate to ask for help, ok? We both send you big hugs!

Sgiathalaich

deevee ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 12:24 PM

Thanks folks your thoughts and wishes are appreciated by Marva and I very much. The missing part of the roof has been replaced, tar paper is on so we are dry, however there is a mojor shortage of roof shingles on the island. Next priority are windows 21 of them..It will be a while folks. I look at it this way. If the Great Geometritian took seven days to create the world, I can wait a few months to have my house fixed. We can all eat a whale, one bite at a time!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.