Thu, Oct 3, 12:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Where does a newbie begin for model creation?

mumblebox ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 1:25 PM · edited Sun, 14 July 2024 at 8:43 PM

Hello all! I've been a poser nut for quite some time. I am into non photo realistic rendering, photoshop, and pen and ink. Now I'd like to make my own characters and models. I want to be able to take a 2d drawing and make it into a character. I have no idea where to begin! I am not limited to poser, so any advice would be great. I am looking for ease of use, primarily I want to take my 2d characters I've drawn and be able to turn them into models. I know there is ALOT of work involved... So what software, books, etc would you reccomend? Thanks... :-)

geep ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 1:30 PM

file_136985.jpg

Hi mumblebox. You could try [ THIS TUTORIAL.](http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1649633) cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

sixus1 ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 1:54 PM · edited Wed, 27 October 2004 at 2:00 PM

These are some free tools to get you started :)

Wings 3D:
Easy to use modeling application. Great for beginners (my 7 year old son can use it).

Blender:
Blender is the first and only fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite allowing modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, realtime interactive 3D and game creation and playback with cross-platform compatibility - all in one tidy, easily and free downloadable package! The interface is far from intuitive for most.

UV Mapper:
Used for creating or altering UVs. Free version and retail Professional

Depending on which version of Poser you are using you might need this:*
PHI Builder:
Hiearchy Style rigging for models

And I don't know if you have something to paint textures with:
Gimp (Linux and Windows):
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

You'll definately need to consider the limitations of Poser while designing and creating your figures.
Here are a couple of tuts that we have online

We have a tutorial disc in our store left over from DragonCon. Its free (although you do have to pay the shipping).

poserforums3.jpg

--Rebekah--

Message edited on: 10/27/2004 14:00

mumblebox ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 2:46 PM

Thanks! I truly appreciate the responses! Looks like I have alot of work to do :-) As far as Poser's limitations.... Should I consider alternate packages such as the new 3d studio max? It may be a tad more than what a beginner can do, tho. Thanks again!

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 4:58 PM

thanks Rebekah..saves me the usual spiel..;) if you've figured out Blender, you're ahead of me..;)
Wings users local 509..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

sixus1 ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 5:48 PM

Well mumblebox, the question comes down to this, do you want to make your models to work with Poser or do you want to use them for something else, such as MAX (as you mentioned) ? If want to make your models for Poser, then you will have to create it with certain things in mind, for example..like Poser prefers quads, your groups and UVs need to be clean and set up in a fashion that is familiar for Poser users, and where to add the extra mesh. Of course you will have to rig it and create morphs. There is a lot to learn either way. Good luck and have fun. :) And packled.....I am not a modeler, but I have been messing around with Blender a bit because I have seen some wonderful renders out of it. But it is slow going since as I said...that interface isn't intutive, at least for me at all. Wings3D is a solid and easy to use program. --Rebekah-- P.S. I am not a modeler, but I live with one. :)

mumblebox ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2004 at 2:59 PM

Well, I don't neccesarily intend the character for poser.. I could just as well have it end up being in 3d studio or some other program. My intent is to be able to eventually render a high quality still, so whether its poser or not I guess is starting to matter more and more. Heh, I love this place, you learn so much. So, is there perhaps and alternate forum or software package I should be looking at? Thanks again for all the responses!

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 1:36 AM

I don't create figures, but I've played around with a lot of 3D apps, including some of the "big boys" like Maya and Lightwave. Poser has an advantage in that it is relatively easy to use (at least once you've got the figure in it) and there is a lot of support for it. Keep that in mind when you consider other apps... and good luck.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.