Wed, Sep 25, 7:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 7:30 am)

Subject: challenge idea

drhess ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 11:27 AM ยท edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 7:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/F/freud.html#images

Hey, I had an idea about a poser challenge and hope this is where to suggest it. And no, I don't have a prize to contribute. ;-) The idea is probably not unique, but I'd love to see people try to recreate a painting by a famous artist. It would require/combine substantial Poser work, or any other kind of 3d modelling if that's allowed, with substantial post-work talent. For instance, I think Lucian Freud would be fun, here's some of his work: http://www.artchive.com/artchive/F/freud.html#images I think "Naked Girl Sleep" would be good for full body posing and "John Minton" would be great for just hair, head and face. Has this been done before? Any interest? I think it would make for a very challenging....um... challenge. ;-)

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 11:53 AM

It has, but not in a while. And the last time it happened it gave me an idea for a challenge which you just reminded me of. Very similar. In fact, I think I'll set it up.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

drhess ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 2:40 PM

;-) Cool. I like the idea of more "painterly" uses of Poser and uses related to traditional fine arts, so to speak.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 2:43 PM

So do I, really. Despite not being fond of most postwork for myself, lol. btw -- my idea is different, lol -- yours is a cool one and you should pursue it.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 8:00 AM

Just be certain that the images you propose using as sources are not within copyright. Best if they are at least 150 years old.

drhess ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 2:12 PM

Hmm,if it's just for self education, I don't know if there's a problem. I guess if it was a contest to win something. In any case, anything before 1922 is certainly in pubic domain. But that's a good thing to think about.

drhess ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 2:13 PM

Hmm,if it's just for self education, I don't know if there's a problem. I guess if it was a contest to win something. In any case, anything before 1922 is certainly in pubic domain. But that's a good thing to think about.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 3:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Prize money is not an issue. Profit is not an issue. It doesn't matter if you charge for your copies or not... it is still infringement. 1922? Copyright is for life plus 75 years, in most cases (there are tiers). Only the original creator of a work has the right to make copies or derivatives unless he explicitly yields that right. Even ownership of the physical work of art doesn't give a person the rights to make copies from it. That is why I say that it is best to use much older works as your sources. You might want to read this link about Copyright Myths and the Introduction to Copyright... and Templeton has links to other FAQs. Carolly

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.