Sat, Sep 21, 2:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: I would like an answer...

Satanimus ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 2:26 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:30 AM

Hello, this is really for our esteemed moderator, but I'm sure others have asked the same questions.... Tell me retrocity... How come you didn't answer the IM I sent you when I joined Renderosity a couple of months or so ago? Why have we not had an official challenge set in this forum since the beginning of the year? And how come you don't encourage people to enter the challenges that ARE set by members?

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

Jaqui ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 3:35 PM · edited Sun, 31 October 2004 at 3:39 PM

cause he's being a snob?
or just being his usual scattered self.

;) actually, I know he gets so many ims that he loses some occasionally. as for the challenges, well been to long since I was around to even venture a guess.

Message edited on: 10/31/2004 15:39

retrocity ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 8:20 PM

thanks jaqui ;) the medication and coffee do help me focus

My dear Satan, welcome to the Photoshop Forum, and thank you for taking an interest me and the forum itself.

Let's try and address your questions one-at-a-time...

1. Your IM to me:
    ... first we should go even "further back in time" to the when another member (pstekky) created an entry for the now defunct "Are you up for the Challenge".

in that thread, (do a search on "Jazz challenge" [not my spelling error, it's in the thread title...] the forum if you're interested) Hoofdcommissaris states "...You should shoot a message to retrocity (he tried to get it off the ground and is the moderator who is able to get that page updated). It seems hard to find enough people to flex their creative muscles in the Photoshop Forum. Most of the time it seems like an 'ask & run' kinda forum..."

TAKE A LOOK AROUND, what type of threads are posted here?? have you bothered to "search" through the archives to see what has been attempted and what has not?? I worked over the backroom pages and added the challenge in hopes to drive up some creative input from the members. that was short lived because most members don't come to the PS forum to be challenged, they come to find an answer to their question and then they take off to other forums. For those that do "challenges", we have a "Challenge Forum", we also have a pretty active "Monthly Challenge" in the 2D forum (i see you've entered there)

let's go back to you first question (your IM to me)... if i may post it; you said:
"Instant Message from Satanimus: Hi, could you tell me if there's some specific reason for the Photoshop forum challenge not being closed or changed,or indeed whether there is a reason for the forum to have apparently lost it's Mod'?
Hear from you soon, thanx."

...so let's answer it now... "...if there's some specific reason for the Photoshop forum challenge not being closed or changed" What! someone actually went to the backroom and saw the challenge??? had i known anyone even bothered looking around i would have been more diligent in updating but since it had been nearly a year before anyone even brought it up... i have other things vying for my time...

and for the comment:
"...or indeed whether there is a reason for the forum to have apparently lost it's Mod'?..."
ummmmm according to my "time-card", i've been here EVERYDAY. i do not feel the need to answer EVERY thread or message, as our very talented and knowledgeable members have often helped provide solutions to any issues.

but the real answer as to "why" i didn't answer your IM, i didn't really care for your tone and my mom said if i can't say anything nice, not to say anything at all ;)

still all-in-all, welcome to the forum and hope to see more of your PS work.

:)
retrocity

ps: ask jaqui how the challenge in the "vector" forum went!!

Satanimus ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 9:18 PM

If you didn't like the tone in my IM I'm surprised you have chosen to answer this post, my IM was a private request for information and as such had no "tone"... However yes I had looked around which is why I asked about the absence of the forum mod. Regarding the "Jazz challenge". I was not the only person to take a look, in fact a couple of people even put in an entry... As for your log showing you here everyday, that may be the case and I agree, you have been posting more in the past couple of weeks... however if you don't post at least once a day in the PS Forum how does anyone know you're here? And if this post has any tone in it, that would be because I think your excuse for IGNORANCE both insulting and childish!

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

Jaqui ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 2:54 AM

~ROTFLMAO~ aww only what 2 months where I pushed for a challenge there and got some good responses. reminds me rick, did you ever get your prize for the challenge youwon there? I know the glenster did, his entry is the banner.

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 6:22 AM

Welllll, actually "childish" would be Nanner-Nanner!! but i wouldn't do that, especially to someone whom i hardly know. they might take it the wrong way ;)

@jaqui, i am still 3D-less (no real 3D programs in my arsenal) so i never pursued the prize, but it was cool to have won.

thanks for stopping by,
:)
retrocity

SeanE ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 6:39 AM

that would be the irreverant answer... :+P

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 6:40 AM

It's a Halloween thing, isn't it? Trick or thread? I never understand that kind of foreign festivities... sighs

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 7:11 AM

@sean, that would be the "reverant" answer, or at least to the followers of the Deep Thought... but then 42 has always worked for me. @Hoof, i never understand local festivities either ;) scott

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 7:21 AM

Well since you're all soo interested in what 's going on in this forum, howabout going to the challenge that did happen and adding your votes??? :D

Gini ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 11:58 AM

Was just cruising by for an "ask 'n run"........

Woah -what's going on in this forum ? No decorum ! Now I forgot my question.

Santanimus asked "And how come you don't encourage people to enter the challenges that ARE set by members"

answer: Because you can lead the horses to water but you can't make them drink.

@ SeanE-Thanks for 42,it's probably also the answer to the question I forgot.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 1:34 PM

The opearative word being "encourage" perhaps by participating in the challenges that are set for example... :)

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2004 at 6:15 AM

If a moderator would encourage me to enter challenges, I would not appreciate that. I can decide for myself if I find it interesting enough and want to spend time on it. I am not a little child that has to be told to go and play outside because it is sunny. I have seen the challenge and I do not feel the need to vote. We kind of found out the Photoshop Forum is not a real competitive place. We seem to share knowledge most of the time. That is also a way of being a community. Hoof

lundqvist ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2004 at 7:09 AM

I think also that possibly many people use Photoshop in their workflow to achieve a specific end and come to this forum to ask how PS might be used to provide a particular effect/process/etc. Perhaps this is for the best because Rendo has many forums for the "art challenge" motivated crowd.

Satanimus ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2004 at 9:33 AM

Firstly Hoof, encouragement comes in many forms, none of which include being "ordered" to do something.. Secondly, people put thier work into these "Challenges" for fun, & it is "nice" if people vote on them if only to acknowledge the work, unless of course one is so supercilious that one does not feel the need to recognise an entry in a challenge situation no matter the "importance" of the challenge or what on thinks of the quality of the work involved. lundqvist, I'm shocked! Are you suggesting that All the none challenge forums should stop holding thier own challenges?

lundqvist ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2004 at 10:00 AM

No. Why would I? I really don't care one way or the other. Just was trying to observe why challenges might not seem to catch on in this forum is all. Sorry to attempt to express an opinion :(

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2004 at 10:25 AM

The basic structure of this community is that people react to what gets posted. A moderator has no role in that (that was the original subject). To be honest, I don't see any entry to vote for (I like them all the same, so I can not arrange them in a 1-2-3 order). Ofcourse there is a lot of work in it, but we are not in kindergarten where every drawing needs a standing ovation to sooth the young heart of the kid that made it. On the other hand, a lot of material that is shown on Renderosity gets raving comments, everything seems to be great. So maybe I am the rude one. And, like, really 'supercilious', whatever that may be. You can hold any challenge you want, but don't come crying if some people don't want to play with you. I might even participate if I am inspired, but most of the time I do not have enough spare time for 'challenges'. Actually, come to think of it, I do not even have time to participate in this discussion...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.