Sat, Sep 21, 2:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:51 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: October challenge theme..your thoughts please

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 10:09 AM Ā· edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:26 AM

A gate, door entrance, portal or however else you would describe it, either a metaphorical or an actual one, past present or future. Does that make sense, and does it sound a good idea for a challenge which allows all sorts of formats and programs to be used.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Satanimus ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 12:21 PM Ā· edited Thu, 07 October 2004 at 12:22 PM

Sounds Interesting... are there any more details? (I'll get this right one day) Congrats on the win btw. :)

Message edited on: 10/07/2004 12:22

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 2:22 PM

I guess its a difficult concept to really define, but an entrance etc can be anything from a spiritual thing to just an ordinary door in the real world, which is why I said either metaphorical or actual. I thought it would be interesting to see what people came up within the concept. The idea of the challenge arena is that all sorts of artists use their own preferred media, be it 2d, 3d, fractal art, photography or whatever, rather than just competing in their own separate forums. Can give a really wide spectrum of images.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 08 October 2004 at 1:53 AM Ā· edited Fri, 08 October 2004 at 1:54 AM

I like it! As a fractal artist, it's a real challenge sometimes to make an image for the challenge, lol. And it opens the door to a spooky halloween image if one is so inclined.

Message edited on: 10/08/2004 01:54

Fractals will always amaze me!

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 6:17 PM

Lovin' it, But all I was asking was "Any more rules", either way, I'm havin' a go...

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

RimRunner ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 10:13 PM

I personally love the esoteric concept ones. Really brings out the imagination and its great to see all the directions that people go. Portal / gateway / doorway. Be it physical, or metaphysical. Cool idea. :)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

Satanimus ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 7:17 PM

I wonder, can we post our entries in the gallery with a link here?

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 9:01 PM

Even if you do post a large version in the gallery. It's more fun to see the graphics in the thread than it is to click back and forth between galleries. At least for me. Others may not agree.

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2004 at 9:47 PM

You're more then welcome to post in the gallery, we even have our own, hardly used, gallery section. But I do agree with Dialyn too... it's nice to have them all together for voting and such. My personal take, is post in both. ;) Post a smaller version here, then also link to the gallery one, so those who want to see the full monty can. ;)

tresamie ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 3:41 AM

file_132845.jpg

Portal To Enlightenment

RimRunner ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 8:28 AM

Ahhh... Tres. :) Great to see some of your fractal work in a challenge again :)

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 11:07 AM

Agree with you there, this is what I was hoping for.

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 17 October 2004 at 12:15 PM

Thanks RR, I love when the challenge is left so loose that I can bring in a fractal! Is anyone posting challenges in the other forums? I found when I did that there would be many more entries.

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 17 October 2004 at 1:19 PM

Not so far. Dialyn has always done this before, but she didn't last time.....should we ask her? RR what you think?

RimRunner ( ) posted Sun, 17 October 2004 at 5:17 PM

Well, I know they are working on a whole new format for challenges. Even User driven contests... I don't know how this will effect this forum in the long run. I personally hope it doesn't, but there is a chance that because of the format, being easier to see, having a 'real' voting system, etc., that well... our days here may be numbered. only time will tell. This forum is one of the reasons I even gave R'osity a try many years ago. Little different format back then too, but I've tried to keep to the original feel and open spirit. As to Dialyn, no harm in asking :) I know she's a busy lady with all the stuff she's into these days. You're all welcome of course to post back in your own forums (of the ones you tend to hang out in), just don't go getting in trouble for 'spamming' the forums ;) I tend not to do it myself, being a mod, I give the other mods their space too.

Satanimus ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 3:45 AM

2 Questions... How many Images can you enter & what's the finish date? I'm asking this due to noticing up to 5 different challenge entries by the same Artist in other forums, and I don't want to miss this challenge. :):):):)

RimRunner ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 5:01 AM

You can post as many as you like. When it comes time to vote, I ask that people vote for the image, not the artist. This way each entry in treated (hopefully) in a fair way.

Satanimus ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2004 at 4:41 PM

file_132847.jpg

I hope this meets the challenge... :)

JStockert ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2004 at 9:01 PM

file_132848.jpg

This is my first posting to the forums so I hope I get this right :) I'd like to submit an entry for this month's challenge. I went with a Halloweenish theme and the Vampire Huntress is about to enter the gates of the cemetary to track down her prey. Hope this meets the requirements and the larger version can be found in the gallery at

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=794299&Start=1&Sectionid=1&filter_genre_id=0&WhatsNew=Yes

~Jules

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2004 at 1:08 PM Ā· edited Mon, 25 October 2004 at 1:10 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=794299&Start=1&Artist=JStockert&ByArtist=Yes

The link with the image above isn't working so try this one... Nice work btw JStockert. :)

Message edited on: 10/25/2004 13:10

jtm_11 ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 5:07 PM

file_132849.jpg

Another great topic & great entries Satanimus & JStockert!

I really had fun with this one, although I didn't have time to make it as detailed as I would like. The person is from Poser converted using Poseray. The trees and grass are based on Giles Tran's Povray macros. The background was made using Chris Colefax's galaxy.inc files. Everything else made by me in MegaPov. The only postwork was adding my sig. There's a larger version in my gallery if anybody's interested.

LunarTick ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 3:03 AM

jtm, if i can point out one thing but first a question. Looking at the image to the right of the gate is that a model of stonehenge, if so it looks out of place, just my opinion :)

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 5:03 AM

file_132850.jpg

To follow the way you first have to find the gate. This is a protest about environemental issues, with a subtle twist. The way in question is the South Downs Way in SE England. This way frequently follows old ley lines. The mound on the right is a man made structure from way back in history, with a spiral path to the summit. It is still used by druids for some ceremonies, but accessing it can be a problem, with debris just dumped, and in actual fact part of the mound has been cutaway to allow for a car park. Hence also to follow the druid way, you first have to find the gate. Ha thought about adding some druids, but decided to just include a black bird (the druid bird). A pure bryce render

JStockert ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 6:59 PM

Hey, thus far all of the entries look great and I really like the fact that there is such a range of style :) ~Jules

RimRunner ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 8:09 PM

Sorry that once again I've had things keeping me away from the forums... Anyway, it is time to call for final entries. We really should already be in voting. :/ Sorry about that!! Please take a tomorrow to finish up what you can and post your entries. We'll start the voting Monday morning. Cheers, - James

Satanimus ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 6:52 PM

Well I reckon it's going to take me at least a week to decide who to vote for, nice work all... :) Good luck.

RimRunner ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 4:37 AM

With School and everything else starting up, the number of entries are down once again. Don't worry, this passes. Please select your top three entries and cast your votes. :) Good luck everyone.

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 8:49 AM

Sorry Rim' I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just making a point about how good the entries are... no insults intended. :):):)

LunarTick ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 10:27 AM

oh well seems like no ousiders can enter or vote in this forum so i'll not bother, matter of fact seems like outsiders never get replies to their posts. Fair enough i'll not bother posting on this forum again. Now you can see why i deleted my post.

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 11:35 AM

First off LunarTick, EVERYONE is welcome to post here, there is no such thing as an outsider in the Challenge Arena... If you make a comment about some-ones work It's entirely up to them if they answer you, this is true of ALL forums... So stop sulking and post your vote! :) & now the votes from Satanimus are... 3 points = tresamie. 2 points = chohole. 1 point = jtm_11. This concludes the voting from Satanimus.. good luck all. :) btw, where is dialyn's entry, I ask only because she seems to have been voted for...

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 11:48 AM

Well spotted that deliberate mistake, Satanimus. New vote should read 3 points..........Tresamie 2 points..........Satanimus 1 point...........jtm_11 I think I was having a blonde moment! ;-}

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 11:51 AM

Bye the way I agree with Satanimus.....we want everyone to come visit us in the challenge arena. The more the merrier!

Satanimus ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 1:38 PM

Don't we all now & then.. ;););)

jtm_11 ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 9:27 PM

Sorry I haven't been around to reply - been busy with real life, a Shades of Halloween contest entry and a couple of other personal pics I'm hoping to post in a few days. Yes, it's a model of stonehenge - it symbolizes mysticism to me - sort of an inside joke to myself. Sometimes I just can't resist slipping those in (and yes, I know I'm strange). :) Anyway, great works everybody!

3 pts - chohole
2 pts - Satanimus
1 pt - Tresamie

BTW, as a newcomer myself, I welcome anybody that wants to enter the challenges or just vote or comment on the entries. Like chohole said, "The more the merrier!"

LunarTick ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 11:06 PM

Sorry all for my rude posting. Because of medical reasons and having to take strong painkillers for it i tend to get quick tempered and i post the first thing that comes into my head. Don't worry i'll visit the forum when i'm on the site, i tend to visit most forums because i find they contain good information for someone new to the 3d art world :) Now for my votes, i'll be voting for the work not for the person. 3 pts - jmt_11 2 pts - Chohole 1 pt - JStockert

Satanimus ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2004 at 4:19 PM

As it should be LunarTick. Oh by the way - Welcome... :)

RimRunner ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2004 at 10:09 PM

Will be closing the voting phase here tomorrow (Thursday) night. Then we'll get one with the November challenge. Even if it will start a week late. ;) Good luck everyone!!

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2004 at 9:06 PM

Well... I have three choices right now... there is a tie. I can either let the tie stand, hope there is another vote placed, or vote myself and break the tie. As any of you who are around here know, I don't vote often, but I do admire all the works. Just try to stay out of the voting process so it doesn't give the impression of my playing favorites. :) I'll give it until morning to see if I get another vote and then figure out what to do if I don't. :)

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2004 at 9:21 PM

Sorry to be so late! jtm11 - 3 points chohole - 2 points Satanimus - 1 point

RimRunner ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2004 at 4:58 AM

Thanks everyone !! Another close challenge. Shows how hard it is to pick from these images. Anyway, here are the numbers: JStockert : 1 Point Satanimous : 5 Points 3rd place: Tresamie : 7 Points 2nd place: jtm_11 : 8 Points and in 1st place with 9 points: Chohole. :) Two in a row. :) Congrats!! If you'd be so kind as to start another new thread for November. :)

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2004 at 7:25 AM

Seriously flabberghasted here.....I was convinced that Tresamie was going to win. Thanks everyone.

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2004 at 5:16 PM

Congratulations to the winners and all...this was a fun challenge and everyone did great work! Can't wait to see what's next.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.