Thu, Sep 19, 11:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Re: Overloading Poser Pose directory

rbaker1956 ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2004 at 10:55 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 11:12 AM

hey all, I just read in a readme file from Schlabber, that if i have more than 256 poses sets in my pose directory, I will crash Poser 4.0.3. Is this true? I'm pretty close to that number and don't want to chance it. Which leads me to question 2) If i want to unload something out of the pose file, what exactly are the files i need to delete and where are they located in the runtime folder?( what geometries do i need to delete also besides the files out of the libraries?) And finally 3) If there is a a 256 file limit, is there a work around for that? Specifically is there a way to nest files in the runtime folder so that less items show up in the directory and can be accessed as subsets of pose sets? Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks-Rich Baker

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2004 at 4:59 AM

Attached Link: http://www.hogsoft.com/

Hogsoft has a utility for Poser 4 called "PBooost" which enables you to use multiple sets of folders. You cannot directly nest folders in Poser 4. ( To delete Pose files you only need to remove the individual folder. However if they are MAT pose files then you would also want to remove the associated texture folders if you're not going to want to use them any more. I never managed to take my old Poser 4 over 256 folders so I'm not exactly sure what happens when you exceed that limit, but I believe Poser starts to cut off parts of the filenames or not show folders at all. (This limitation was removed in poser 5 which allows multiple runtimes and nested folders. Yay!)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2004 at 10:59 AM

It won't crash at 256. It just cuts off the names. The menu becomes so narrow, you can't read them. mac

rbaker1956 ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2004 at 1:09 PM

Thanks Karen. I just realized i forgot to mention that i was working on a Mac and when i went to the hogsoft web site, it was pretty clear that all the utilites are for windows. Anyone know of a similar utility for Mac? I do have poser 5, but am afraid to upgrade, because i have heard there are compatibility problems with Daz and Millenium products. Is this just rumour or should i beware?

KarenJ ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 4:57 AM

I have never had a problem with any Daz/Millennium product under P5. There have been reported some problems with conforming clothing - something to do with the old crosstalk bug/fix as I recall, but I understand these have now mainly been fixed as updates by Daz. And Daz are now starting to realise that they need to support P5 to be competetive: their recent releases (ie starter bundle) included P5 MAT files. You won't need to reinstall any products, you can leave your existing installation where it is, just link the old P4 runtime to the P5 installation. You can do that from within P5 once its started up. The only thing you will need to do is with any injectable millenium characters (V3, M3, etc), install the "!DAZ" folder which contains the delta files to the main P5 Library folder as well as the external runtime (if you're using one). Poser always looks for delta files in its installation runtime before looking elsewhere, so if you don't copy the folder over, you'll be waiting a long time for injections to work.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

rbaker1956 ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2004 at 4:18 AM

Thanks Karen, Ill take the plunge from P4 to p5 then.-I appreciate the info-Rich B

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.