Sun, Oct 6, 9:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: More Star Wars characters in Poser 5

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 9:47 AM ยท edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 3:11 PM

file_140641.jpg

So I have found a bunch of 3DS based figures at scifi3d.theforce.net, but really don't have the skills to make them into Poser 5. Is there an easy way to do this? And if not, anyone feel like making some money? Ask PhilC, I pay on time and am fair with expectations. This is first one on the list. Rebel pilot outfit. Take a look and let me know if you would like to take this on. Thanks.

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 9:49 AM

oops...also forgot to ask if anyone can think of anything that would substitute well for these items. Thanks again.

fls13 ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 10:04 AM

That's a great site with an awesome collection. There really isn't a simple way to do it, but let me download the figure and see what I can do.

fls13 ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 12:15 PM

I looked at the mesh and while the accessories are excellent, the figure itself is a little lacking. I'd suggest finding a freebie flight suit, putting it on a poser figure and adding the helmet, boot, etc.

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 1:02 PM

I planned on adding the accessories. But how would one make the flightsuit conforming? Is that something you could help me with?

fls13 ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 2:42 PM

My own figure preference is the P5s. It should be a quick and easy job. I have been working on a step-by-step tutorial on figure creation in Poser at this Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoserCC?yguid=199414274 Here's what I wrote, but I also need some feeback to see if I'm explaining it right :O) You need at least P4 pro pack for this or P5. Load the following figures: nude Don or Dork, a pair of dress shoes, a pair of dress pants, and a dress shirt and conform the clothing figures to the male figure. It also helps to go to body in the parameter dials and change the name of the figure to something like shirt, pants, LShoe, etc. rather than Figure 1, 2, 3, and so on. remove all IK from the male figure under "Figures" and "Use Inverse Kinematics." Also select body on the figure and then go to Window-Joint Editor and then press Zero Figure. Now we're ready to begin. The goal for this figure is to take the 5 figures-2 shoes, pants, shirt and human and make them one while also eliminating a lot of unneeeded geometry in the male figure that sits under the clothes. Go to file-export-wavefront OBJ, select single frame and get to the hierarchy selection window. Now comes the tedious part. Select all the bones that you'll need to create a proper figure, or more to the point deselect the bones/geometry in the male figure that won't be needed in the new figure because they'll be covered by clothes. Now continue thru the export process, saving the file with whatever name you like. Then when you come to the dialog box that gives you 6 check boxes, check only: Include existing groups in polygon groups. Save the file and we'll get to the import and setup room part of the program next time. Also a reference photo would be some help. If we put our heads together, I think we can come up with something quite superior to the free mesh available at force.net. Do you have a modeling program?

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 3:14 PM

um....nope, and I don't speak Greek. Kind of a noob at Poser. But I have VUE 5 as well. Will that help?

libernull ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 7:20 PM

I've been on a serious Star Wars kick lately and collected every single Poser SW figure I could find. Try this link for a Poser-ized version of that rebel pilot: http://www.3dgladiators.com/filecenter/ I've downloaded a bunch of meshes from the site you listed as well and am slowly working on making Sebulba a Poser usable figure. But, its way tough (at least for me) since the mesh is not grouped at all. So, at the outset, I've gotta group it all. FLS13, I'll be taking a look at your group - thanks for the heads up!

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 8:40 PM

um, I went there. Didn't see any rebel stuff at all.

libernull ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 9:05 PM

Um, try here. http://www.greylight.com/poserfigurescat-fands.html

fls13 ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 9:24 PM

"I've downloaded a bunch of meshes from the site you listed as well and am slowly working on making Sebulba a Poser usable figure. But, its way tough (at least for me) since the mesh is not grouped at all. So, at the outset, I've gotta group it all." That's the tricky part with creating figures. You're always best off trying to create something from an existing Poser figure or clothing and then accessorizing them. Much easier that way.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 9:52 PM

I was trying converting a darth vader figure from there but I got stuck with the cape. I was converting the parts to work with a poser figure because, as fs13 said, the figures are lacking and some of them are very much out of proportion.

libernull ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 10:34 PM

"That's the tricky part with creating figures. You're always best off trying to create something from an existing Poser figure or clothing and then accessorizing them. Much easier that way. " In most cases, I agree. Sulbulba however, is too unique to simple add on a new head. Since he had 4 arms and no real legs. The person who modelled him also modelled seperate clothing as well, so once I finish this, I'll have both a figure and conforming clothing to boot. Its just a long, slow process.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 10:59 PM

I wasn`t commenting on the sebulba character, just pointing out that the actual figures are wrong at times, but the helmets and accessories are very good.

libernull ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 11:13 PM

I agree with you, Xantor - there are a couple of Clone Warriors that are way out of proportion - but the helmets look great. Same thing with a TIE pilot I found - he's badly proportioned, but his 'gear' looks great. Selbulba, on the other hand, is just too unique a figure for FLS's recommendation. Though many are not.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 11:33 PM ยท edited Thu, 11 November 2004 at 11:33 PM

I used the clone trooper helmet and the poser stormtrooper character available free to make a good quick clone trooper.

The suits are very similar.

Message edited on: 11/11/2004 23:33

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2004 at 4:15 PM

Some clothing items are better as props than as conforming clothing. Helmets, some of the rigid components of that pilot's kit, that sort of thing. With boots, you can always just make a prop, smart-prop them to the shin, and make the foot and toes invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.