Mon, Sep 9, 4:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Wondering about all these models and production. Does anyone use them?

Mason ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 3:34 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 3:42 PM

I see a lot of characters and models made for this TV show or that. Scully, Buffy, Star Wars, XMen on and on. But does anyone actually make anything with these like online comic strips or anything? I know of a few strips but most of those are original characters not on the forums. Comics Collective has a bizillion characters but I haven't seen any comcis done with them. I can understand copyright issues but why bother making a perfect Scully replica if nobody does an XFiles comic or story. I get the feeling Poser has turned into the 21st century version of Barbie.

Schlabber ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 4:20 PM

... maybe all of us are to busy downloading all this stuff ?? I'm writing on my comic now for 2 years ... and it is finished in ... well maybe 2010 (LOL). Too much busy in making poses, working, living, eating, ... before you asked: I'll sleep when I'm dead ...

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 4:22 PM

..."turned into"?

Mason ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 4:57 PM

Yeah, its like dressing Barbies (not that I have experience with such thing ehem). I'm just curious if anyones actually doing anything with this stuff or just downloading it all.

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 5:35 PM

I don't have time to answer that in detail, I'm too busy burning CDs...

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 7:44 PM

Bongo Sarong once refered to the James Bond Poser figure as an "action figure". I think there probably is a lot of collection for collection's sake, a lot of customization for customization's sake. Play with a new figure a bit, make a few basic renders. Put it in a glass case somewhere on an archive cd. Might have a use for it someday. There are several impressive renders, generally not sequential storytelling, at the 3DCC. And, personally, I make extensive use of a few key figure downloads. I spend enough time fighting with my shortcomings, as well as Poser's, that I have not yet developed anything into a full-blown story. (Plus, my work is, largely, rubbish....) There have been a couple of developed storylines at Renderotica, using your Wonder Woman figure.... I prefer to think of the figures as those Mego 12" FIGURES FROM THE 70's, as opposed to Barbies. Wish I'd kept those danged things. :)

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

sturkwurk ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 8:37 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3d-cc.com

There are files at the 3D-CC? Holy cow... I had no idea? I'm too busy looking at the pin up art and reading the online comics there... Seriously... I guess I'm the #1 "Barbie collector" since I have every file... even the "eGroup exclusives"... but Mason, I asked the same question about 5 months ago, and never got a straight answer... I think as long as everybody is having fun, and we remember to thank the artist that made the files... go for it! After all... with your new modular hallways, I can make my Barbie Dreamhouse! At least I make some pin-ups every now and then... I've also used a couple files for my tutorials... Cage: where you been Barney? Duanemoody: burn baby burn! Schlabber: can you spot your Poses on the 3D-CC thumbs? Barbie Fan #1: Doogie Sturkie

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 8:40 PM

i've always seen Poser props and such in several perspectives, one of the strongest being that it's sort of like being able to have all the possessions one desires, even if they're intangible digital images........i'd say that fans of the comics after which models are created download them for, if nothing else, personal use to create wallpapers for themselves and friends....and as far as why artists spend all that time making models such as Scully......we do it BECAUSE WE CAN or to see if it can be done........a road untraveled is useless.......

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2000 at 8:44 PM

It's true. I'd like to tell y'all that the celeb morphs I'm working on right now have specific purposes, but really it's merely the challenge of seeing how ultra-realistic I can make a $70 investment in Vicky...

Darth_Logice ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 1:19 AM

As a maker of Buffy Characters, marilyn monroe, etc... I can safely say that I make them to see if I can, and because I like whoever I'm making. I tried doing a buffy comic but nobody really showed interest. It was a whole thread of "Dude, copyright and all..." and not one comment on whether or not anyone actually thought it was a good job/entertaining. So, to the shitpile with that idea. I make for me, but I post for feedback. I like that I was so driven to make all the characters, and I do use them in my own works...I've almost (stress almost) have never seen any of my characters used by other people in spite of thousands of download hits. Sadly, that and lack of feedback on anything lately has totally discouraged me from making or sharing much of anything these days, I've been finding better (or equivalent) things to do. Though I do appreciate the pity comments like "Oh, Darth, we love ya...it's all great..." the only compliment that is truly inspirational to keep going is to see freestuff used in actual renders and for renders to be viewed AND, while you're dropping by, how about a rating/comment? Without those things, why post anything at all? -Darth_Logice

Mason ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 3:24 AM

Yeah Darth, I gotta agree on those points. I see dozens and hundreds of download hits on my stuff as well but I never see them used in a render save for Wonder Woman in a few naughty things at renderotica. The reason I bring this whole thing up is because I posted the hallway section. I see its got over 500 downloads yet not one piece of artwork nor feedback. No ones even asked for an elevator. Not that I'm looking for pats or anything but my question is why do people bother to download 600k of stuff if they don't use it at all?

wal ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 5:26 AM

The only "look alike" character I've used in an own image so far is Jon Malis' wonderful Anakin Skywalker. And there I've altered the face with morphs so far that nobody who I've asked was able to recognize the boy as Anakin. :-) - wal

the3dwizard ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 8:24 AM

Some people are just collecting stuff. I also think most people download the stuff just in case ... Let's say I don't need Wonder Woman right now, just for an example. So I don't download it. Couple of months later I have an idea or project and want to use her. Come back here and she is gone. Arrgh. My guess, out of 500 downloads only 20 people actually unzipped it and looked at it. The rest are saving it just in case. So keep making stuff, just in case ...

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 12:43 PM

Yeah, what 3dwizard said. Probably 80% of the stuff I've downloaded is sitting all nice and zipped on a backup CD for future projects. There are only so many hours in the day and I have a lot of things I want to do. So, I grab the thing, tuck it away for future use, and make a note on my projects list so I'll know I have it and where it is when I finally get around to that particular project.

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 12:50 PM

I really appreciate all those goodies you people create. It boggles my mind that there are so many 'really talented' people in one place. I go for things I think I can use. A percentage of these don't work out - mostly cause I'm new at this and learn by trial and error. I've done a few face portraits to get me started, but I'm afraid to post them anywhere for fear of not crediting every artist correctly. I made one that came out better than fair but when I took inventory of every morph, texture, hair, etc., I knew I couldn't remember every contributor. I have to do a better job of listing the items I use while I build. (and delete, revert, delete, close, open...)

Inkwolf ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 1:07 PM

I belong to a Star Wars club where there are frequent competitions or postings of art. The Stormtrooper figures are especially useful, since we are an Imperial club! Though the ship models at SWMA get far more use, actually. But most of the models I download, I just play around with.

Mehndi ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 1:22 PM

LOL I would take time to let you know how much use they all get on a day to day minute to minute basis... but I am too busy downloading, and organizing by subject matter and creators name and then burning cds...

Maz ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 5:42 PM

BillyGoat, If you're worried that about not getting all the names of the people whose work you've used in your image, don't. Most people will be pleased to see their prop or figure used. As long as you don't pretend that you invented it yourself people won't mind. If they do, they're a bit sad. I don't often see my stuff used, and when I do it's only credited to me about 20% of the time. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a gallery image acknowledging that it used a figure that came in pcf format that had to be decoded using my Mover utility. I'm just pleased that we are all exchanging stuff and expanding the Poser community.

leeroy5 ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2000 at 3:29 AM

hi, yes, yes i am a free-stuff-download-junky. sorry. but for pepole outside usa (germany) and not the best on english spoken (read this message) i think the only way too leran using poser, make charakters better and maybe on one day make your great pics and comicstorys, is too download this stuff. So i am thanks of all howe give us / me her great stuff too download and, i can go my way as a FREE-STUFF-DOWNLOAD-JUNKY leeroy5

timoteo1 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2000 at 1:46 AM

TWOFOLD FOR ME: ONE: Having a cable modem and being able to download at speeds of up to 400KB/s (that's the big "B", as in 1 MEG about every 2.5 seconds!) ... unfortunately most people host their stuff on super-slow FREE-HOSTS though, so I only get 50k sec or less. Anyway, I download everything and anything (except for the total crap ... you know who you are ;-) ) for possible future use and have burned several CDs worth of stuff. TWO: I do almost ZERO stills ... animation all the way. I'm working on a full-length featurette combining Poser, Bryce, MAX, After Effects, Premiere, etc. and the pre-production has taken about a year (character development & design, script, collecting, etc.) and the production will take 1+ year(s) to complete (assuming I get a few more fast comps for my render-farm.) Sooo ... you won't be seeing any of your stuff for a LONG time in my case ... BUT YOU WILL SEE IT! -Tim

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2000 at 10:08 AM

I generally use my "own" (i.e., customized Zygote :-D) figures for my work - BUT often with elements "borrowed" from characters others posted, both here, at the 3DCC, and other sites. If I use someone else's character, it's either for a contest or because I was asked to... :-) {It was a whole thread of "Dude, copyright and all..." and not one comment on whether or not anyone actually thought it was a good job/entertaining.} To be honest, it looked like a rush job to me (a LOT of potential there, but very little of it realized, IMO), and I saw it when the thread was already bloated with copyright stuff and no "meat" comments, so I just joined the fray. I was seriously hoping to see more of these, because you DID show a lot of potential in that one, and now I know why we haven't seen them! :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.