Mon, Sep 9, 4:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: How do I allocate more memory for Poser?

Binx ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 12:36 PM ยท edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 2:51 PM

Hey there good people, How do I allocate more memory for Poser? Once I have a big project in the works or import cr rsr and the geo files to the right folders.....my machine crashes...telling me to allocate more memory....I have a big badass PIII with 128 megs and a 64 megabyte video card.....my resources are at around 80% free.....what do I do to give Poser more access to this ram? Thanx for your help.......

wyrwulf ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 1:12 PM

There is no way to do this with a PC. Sorry. The allocate more memory warning is left over from Poser's MAC beginnings.

Fox-Mulder ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 1:59 PM

Isn't 4.0.3 supposed to access up to 2 Gig's? (Haven't tried it myself...)

Binx ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 2:00 PM

Really?

Schlabber ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 3:29 PM

What ? - two Gig's - however did you managed to have 2 Gig of RAM ?? - only joking - if anybody will find out anything please let me know - thx

steveshanks ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 3:32 PM

128mbs is about the minimum for poser i reccomend you try to put some more in its dirt cheap at the moment......Steve

Fox-Mulder ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2000 at 2:15 AM

Poser 4 English Updater Description (from the C.L. website) This will update the Windows and Mac version of MetaCreations' Poser 4.0 to Curious Labs' Poser 4.0.3. This updater includes several fixes and including a fix that enables Poser to run on systems where the total memory (RAM + Virtual Memory) exceeds 2 Gigabytes... Not sure if that means it will USE up to 2 Gigs, however. I have 385 MB on a P-III and Poser 4 runs fine (other than its other usual ideosyncracies...)

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2000 at 1:35 PM

I have a P3550 and 512 megs of ram, Poser 4.03, and if I open and close too many character files, or try out different clothes on my figure, I get the same warning. I save often also - when it's going good... I use rambooster, but I don't see any appreciable difference. Yet, I can re-render 1 model for hours and have no problems. Go figure.

nukem ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2000 at 6:16 AM

Have any of you tried memory defragmenters like FreeMemPro and the like? I have only 128MB of memory and when I perform quite a few actions in Poser, eventually my system memory becomes very fragmented. To compound the problem, Windows isn't very efficient when it comes to policing and freeing up resources on its own. So my RAM dwindles down to nothing... Memory defragmenters are a must for us low RAM guys, but I suppose such programs can be handy for large RAM users as well. I find such programs especially useful after preparing a relatively complex scene in Poser when I need as much RAM as possible for rendering from within Poser. Of course there is a caveat... Mem defraggers may cause crashes in certain situations. It all depends on how RAM you're trying to free up, how an application uses memory, the amount of system resources (i.e. OLE, libraries etc) it uses and how it uses them. I've run my mem defragger with Poser, Photoshop and other packages with no problems. But I've encountered occassional problems when I run a mem defragger while I'm working in resource-intensive 3D Studio Max... So, as always, use at your own discretion. :) Nuke

jhostick ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2000 at 12:20 AM

Try checking your virtual memory settings. Your swap file is probably set for a maximum size that is insufficient for whatever you are attempting to do in Poser. JH

Binx ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2000 at 1:37 AM

Kewl,I'll try that...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.