Sun, Oct 6, 2:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: UV Mapper and Alternatives

FuzzyShadows ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:09 PM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 2:31 PM

I was wondering what alternatives are there out there for mapping textures onto objects? I've never really come across any programs other than UV Mapper. A previous thread mentions "Unwrap3d"... any others worth trying, buying?

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:41 PM

Bodypaint. Although it has a steep learning curve.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

electroglyph ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 4:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dp3d/

Deep Paint. Another steep learning curve. They have a free trial 30 day full use version. My suggestion is to go to the website, download all the movies and manuals and read/watch them. When you are comfortable then download and install the trial. If you like it costs $595 (457).

DigitalSteve ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 4:53 PM

Cinegraphics have a halfprice sale on UView 2.5 at the moment ($249 as opposed to $599). It looks pretty good, I'm just going to dl the demo. http://www.cinegraphics.net

DigitalSteve ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 4:58 PM

Tattoo - free for non comercial use http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo/index.htm

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 5:03 PM

Both mentioned above are very good but as also mentioned, the learning curve can become a stumbling block. They offer the convenience of being able to paint on your model directly in real-time depending on the speed of your computer. Ive used both in their earlier versions and they do take some getting use to. Ive also used a few others, some now defunct (MetaCreations Detailer became DeepPaint 3D and I think 4DPaint is no longer in use or evolved). I find the use of a model unwrapper like those used in 3D StudioMax or UVMapper and bringing them into my favorite image editor (Photoshop, Paintshop, Dogwaffle or Painter) and arranging the skin how I want it very convenient. For Photoshop users, you can create an Action micro that allows you to use Photoshop while viewing the results in UVMapper.

electroglyph ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 5:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12459&Form.ShowMessage=1988538

Konan has a new set of tools called blacksmith 3d. Part of this is a texturer. It's freeware, but still being developed. It also has a new forum here at renderosity.

danamo ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 5:57 PM

@electroglyph- This is from the "horse's mouth"
"Nope, it is not a beta or free :(
Blacksmith3D - Morph is $69.95
Blacksmith3D - Paint is $69.95
Blacksmith3D - Suite is $99.95
You can download the demo and test it out to see if it suits your needs. You just can't save or export files."
Konan

Dead_Last ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:02 PM

I have a question. Are there any free UV mapping programs that are free that use 'atlas' mapping or whatever it is called? I am just wondering because all of the free mapping programs I have seen only use basic mapping, such as cube, cylinder, sphere, etc.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:09 PM

there's uvmapper classic, and ultimate unwrap..but I think they're sort of geared to boolean mapping, etc.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ysvry ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:14 PM

the uvmapper in wings 3d is easy and powerfull try that as its free.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

jedswindells ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:18 PM

I've only been using UV Mapper for a short while and have enjoyed the experience.It is limited in what can be done but I have learned much using it.Excellent freeware!.And I would like to say a big "THANKYOU" to the guys who developed it.
Jed.

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 8:28 PM

Attached Link: ultimate unwrap

Similar to UVmapper, but will open many type 3d model files.

Stephen Ray

Slakker ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 8:53 PM

There's a program out there called "Lithunwrap" that i remember using back in my HL modding days...i dont' remember what formats it worked with, though.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 9:06 PM
Forum Moderator

UVMapper Classic is a non-starter as far as I can see. You just can't do anything with it unless you already have the co-ordinates. I've just seen a tut for mapping in Wings3d and you can keep it. Far too much messing around. Too many steps to maybe achieve what you want. With respect I disagree entirely with Ysvry.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

RubiconDigital ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 9:37 PM

Attached Link: http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

LithUnwrap is free and has an OpenGL real time display. It's also pretty simple to use. I'm using it to texture models for Poser. It beats the pants off uv mapper classic. It has since morphed into UltimateUnwrap.

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 11:42 PM

file_143414.jpg

Bryster; UVMapper Classic is a non-starter as far as I can see. You just can't do anything with it unless you already have the co-ordinates.

Not exactly, the model above was brought into UVMapper Pro without any prior mapping coordinates. I choose Map from the menu and selected Planar then you get the dialogue window shown above and you make the selections, in this case not to split the model and to view it along the y-axis. UVMapper will then create the requested texture map and save it with the model. You can then bring this map into your image editor and design it to your liking. There is much, much more to this mapper but you must read the tutorials to get around it. For instance, you could map several groups within the same model and rescale the maps and color the groups to fit comfortably on your desktop for easy viewing.

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 1:40 AM

UVMapper Classic for Windows is dead. LithUnwrap is VERY difficult to find and Ultimate Unwrap Lite cannot save. Deep Paint 3D can only texture, while for texture mapping you need Deep UV. $595.

-- erlik

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 4:15 AM

Personally I like 3ds max with texporter ;)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 6:55 AM
Forum Moderator

Quest: Thanks for the tut!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

waldomac ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 10:30 AM ยท edited Thu, 18 November 2004 at 10:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=720250&Start=1&Artist=waldomac&ByArtist=Yes

I've been using uvmapper .25e beta, which was released as freeware. None of my Wings models have coordinates when exported as .obj, so I take them there and assign coordinates within uvmapper. Not too hard, actually, or I probably never would have mastered it.

I always just have to remember to export the texture for painting AND the .obj model with the new coordinates. Then it works within Bryce really easily, without any hassle at all.

I had a tri-plane that I put up a while back, which I mapped as "box". It worked pretty well, too, I thought, as I needed the crosses to be exactly placed and I needed the rest not to stretch, because there is a faint fabric pattern there, too.

Message edited on: 11/18/2004 10:31

Message edited on: 11/18/2004 10:33

FuzzyShadows ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone. I took a look at all your links. Some are really pricey. I wish I had the bucks to spend on the Deep UV and Paint combo. There doesn't seem to be a middle priced app in the 200 dollar range.

RubiconDigital ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 4:13 PM

"LithUnwrap is VERY difficult to find" No it's not. "and Ultimate Unwrap Lite cannot save." Of course - it's a demo.

spinner ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2004 at 9:03 AM

Attached Link: http://spinner.northern-studios.com

Ultimate Unwrap ships at about 40 USD and I swear by it. I also have a tut of ~sorts~ for LithUnwrap on my spinner pages at northern. (I should really remove the 3DA stuff - we closed in June... ) Just click the link, and it'll take you to a page where you can d/l Please remember that LithUnwrap has a poly limit - I think if it's over 10 000, it won't import, it's a mapping utility for low-poly/gaming models that demand more economy in their meshes. I've just spent the entire Sunday mapping some meshes for Daz with it, and it beats UV-mapper (matter of preference) hands down - you can import more, you can export more, you can do more stuff with it :-) (and yes, I took a peek at UVM3 Pro. Again - A matter of taste and not anything against UVM3/Steve C.) ~S

pogmahone ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2004 at 1:34 AM

ditto - I started with the free LithUnwrap, then moved up to the registered version, Ultimate Unwrap. I find it easy to use.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.