Sat, Sep 21, 12:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Upgraded to V5. Any reason to keep V4 download edition? New user....

matrixmode ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2004 at 10:46 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:38 AM

I very enthusiastically downloaded Vue4 when it went on sale. Liked it so much that I purchased Vue5 package.

Before installing Vue5 I uninstalled Vue4.

(On a side note it seems strange to me that I had to enter my serial number for the download version of Vue4 before I could continue with the installation of Vue5, which required yet another serial number.)

At some point in the installation of Vue5 I was informed that my serial number for Vue4 was not detected and that since this was an upgrade version I needed to enter that before installation would continue.

At this point I began to wonder if I could have simply installed the upgrade over the old version.

Or if it would simply install as a seperate program.

Would there be any benefit to keeping Vue4 on my drive along with Vue5?

If so can I simply reinstall Vue4?

Sorry if this seems a little confusing? :)

Thanks for any help on this.

BTW, I'm hoping to have my first Vue render uploaded in a couple of days!!! Great program. Very user friendly and QUICK! ;))

Message edited on: 11/22/2004 22:47

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

war2 ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 2:02 AM

unless youre missing some vue4 content theres no need to reinstall it. but yes, you could have installed the vue5 upgrade over vue4 since they do install in different folders as two different apps. the reason why you needed the vue4 serial is because vue5 is an upgrade(im atleast asuming you bought the upgrade) so it of course needed you to verify that you in fact had a valid vue4 key since it coudnt detect vue4 on your computer. cheers :)

matrixmode ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 2:33 AM

Thanks war2, I guess I'd better hang on to the email with the Vue4 key! Persevere...

war2 ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 2:43 AM

yep hang on to that vue4 key :) btw welcome to vue land and enjoy your stay

lingrif ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 6:42 AM

One reason I keep Vue4 on my computer (even though I have 5 and VuePro) is that I find a lot of neat models that can't be used by Pro or vue5 - made for Vue3 or whatever. I can bring them into Vue4, save them, then use them in the other programs. ;-) Lin

www.lingriffin.com

Tilandra ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 2:08 PM

Be sure to print out the email with the serial too... you have no idea how many times I've had to dip into my "serial number emails" file folder in my filing cabinet due to glitches, hard drive mishaps, and OS reinstallations. Outlook email folders are pretty much non-recoverable once the OS is borked. Even when you don't think you'll need it, print it. I've had stuff that was three years old that I've had to try and track down on various manufacturer's websites because I needed it for one reason or another. Heck, I'm thinking of printing all my serials on one sheet of paper and laminating it. :P

war2 ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 3:30 PM

yep i keep any vital info on a separate hd + dvd backup + paper, you never know what happens, and losing important data or contracts could be fatal.

matrixmode ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2004 at 12:55 AM

Thanks to all for the welcome and great advice! :D @lingrif, It's great to know that I can use Vue4 that way! Very clever, thanks! @Tilandra, I don't know why it never occurred to me to print those emails. I've been forwarding them to freemail accounts for safekeeping. Printing them out and filing them makes much more sense. Less hassle too. @war2, Yeah, a few months ago, after reinstalling XP for the eighth time in two years, I finally learned to back up everything as a precaution. I may have gone a little overboard though, lol. Installed a second HD (300G), DVDR-RW, a Maxtor OneTouchII external 300G HD and some back up software. Better safe than sorry. There's just too much to lose at this point. I've heard so many horror stories and had a couple of bad crashes myself. Thanks for the welcome too! It means a lot to me. :D Persevere... Mark

Tintifax ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 12:10 PM

Got my Vue5 today and that was just the question I wanted to post. Thanks for the answers...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.