Thu, Sep 19, 6:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Help I've lost my bryce file.......is there any way to get it back

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 11:46 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:22 PM

Whilst saving the file, my virus scan decided to upload an upgrade. Mcafee exe crashed and the bryce file seemed to go on saving. However it will not re-open, gets to 25% and then crashes bryce. Is there any way to fix this prob, because stupidly I did not save a back-up version. I know, I know, I usually have several versions but this time for some stupid reason I didn't. sob sob

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 1:04 PM

Check and see if there's a .tmp file in the folder where your scene file was saved,.........it would be the same size (in MB's) as the original .br5 file(probably named AX something.tmp),..........if there is one,..........change the file extension from .tmp to .br5, then try opening it. This works for me sometimes when files become corrupted,.......most of the time when Bryce has a problem there will be a .tmp file generated,....if there is no .tmp file,.......I dunno what to tell you.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 1:46 PM

No I already checked that. It went through the whole rigmarole of saving, even after the error message from the viruscan came up. I decided to close bryce and it closed very slowly, using meaning its still messing around with something, and then closed. I rebooted the pc, and the file partly opens, but that is all. Had to be an image that was coming on halfway decent, and with no backup copy. I had been saving regularly, but for some strange reason I just saved, not save as. Murphy's law I suppose. Don't know if I will ever get anywhere near again. I also hadn't saved some of my mats, just to make it harder.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

pogmahone ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 1:55 PM

grasping at straws.....wonder what would happen if you opened a brand new file, and tried merging the other, corrupted one?

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 2:28 PM

Good thought, tried it......bryce crashed completely, not even an error message this time. I guess this file has gone to wherever it is that all good bryce files go in the end. I magine a stream of curses, cos I can't type them here.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 4:23 PM

Awwwwww...that's just terrible, my heart goes out to you Chohole, no one deserves that, I'm so sorry for you. It's all I can offer. Maybe in future installments DAZ would help correct this situation.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 7:54 PM

Just a suggestion, kill the auto-update on McAfee. Just remember to do it manually once or twice a week. Run nothing else when you do.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

zippyozzy ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 3:08 AM · edited Fri, 17 December 2004 at 3:21 AM

Do a system restore in windows go back to your last date saved and try to recover your file that way. Turn your virus scans off when you use Bryce & system restore. Try to go back one or two days to see if you can recover your file before it got corrupted. Then run your windows defragger & scan your system for errors or corrupted files. Defragging might help restore the file also. Do not run any programs in the background while doing a surface scan or defrag. This is what I do to recover lost files. A recovery should do the trick though.

Message edited on: 12/17/2004 03:21

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 3:25 AM

Can you do that in win2k, or is it just an XP thing?

zippyozzy ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 3:29 AM · edited Fri, 17 December 2004 at 3:41 AM

If you don't have any system tools in your start programs you can always try to download a free recovery program to recover lost files. or, try to defrag your machine and scan for error in windows only. you may have corrupted files in the background. if it's a zip file you are trying to open you may need to try another unzipping program to see if it will open. Try defragging your machine if you do not have a system restore function.

Message edited on: 12/17/2004 03:41

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.