Tue, Oct 22, 2:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Star Trek Starship Models

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:15 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:09 AM

I was wondering if anybody had had any luck in finding or importing Star Trek style spaceships for Poser? There are several resources that have Lightwave and 3DS versions of these ships but so far I haven't had much luck actually importing them; they come with various defects that reneder them unsuitable for my purposes. There really seems to be a problem converting most of these ships from their native formats to Poser. 3DS seems to work the best, but I've noticed some oddities when importing them, and I'm not familiar with the technicalities of modelling to be able to fix them. Any suggestions on how better to import them to Poser would also be welcome. Some of the sites that I've tried are: http://www.startrekaustralia.com http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ http://www.tgeweb.com/links.htm

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:30 AM

Attached Link: http://www.micromouse.ca/

Try Accu-Trans. It's free to try, $20 if you decide to keep it - on the honor system. It can convert a huge number of formats. I've found that opening 3ds models in Accu-Trans, then saving them as OBJs fixes a lot of the problems you get when trying to import 3ds objects in Poser directly.

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:55 AM

Thanks! I'll do that. Guy

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 4:57 PM

Feh..I'll see if I can update this at home..all of the above are good..there may be more..I think even theForce.net has some ST models (heresy?..I don't think so..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

gps ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:26 PM

file_157957.jpg

...but I've been working on this Poser-ready Enterprise for several months now. BTW, excuse the single warp nacelle floating unattached above the centerline, that's just there to help me get the scaling right ;) I'm attempting to duplicate the detail level of the studio model, so you'll be able to get quite close to it. The hanger doors will be poseable and there'll be a hanger interior. I'm trying to keep the whole mesh to below 100,000 polys - to help with that, the hanger interior will be an optional smart prop. Of course, I suppose then I'll have to build a shuttlecraft to go in it ;) I've no real idea when it'll be done - I tend to work on projects in fits and starts and I'm allergic to deadlines, but perhaps weeks rather than months. Possibly. Cheers - Graham

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2004 at 2:23 AM

Wow, Graham, that looks great! I'll gladly nab that one when it's ready. I wish I had that kind of skill at modelling. Guy

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2004 at 7:38 AM

That is an absolute thing of beauty!!! Alas, with R'osity's current policies, I'm guessing you'll offer it through another portal. As others have requested, please keep us abreasted of its development. Concerning the shuttle, xcalpro offers one through his site, and it has opening doors (no interior components like consoles or seats, though). That might save you the effort unless you just really want to model one of your own. Pardon me while I get my drool bucket! Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2004 at 10:44 AM

That's amazing work! TOS has always been my favorite.

This site has some SF TV and movie meshes, including Trek:

http://mateengreenway.com/

It's also got some nice renders and animations.

gps ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2004 at 5:23 PM · edited Sat, 18 December 2004 at 5:24 PM

In all fairness, this was never intended for renderosity freestuff - I made my own decision several months back to have all my rendo freebies be suitable for commercial use, and this was never going to fall into that category LOL

Of course, wherever it does end up, I'll be posting a link to it here in the forum :)

Cheers

• Graham

Message edited on: 12/18/2004 17:24

Elfwine ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2004 at 3:20 AM

beam me up! :)

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2005 at 10:00 AM

I don't really expect it to be ready yet, but have you modeled any more elements since your last post, GPS? I come back every now and then to drool over those clean lines. Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

gps ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2005 at 10:07 PM

'Fraid I haven't worked on it since my initial post. Actually, there's not much left to build - just the pylons and the sensor dish. I should probably pull my finger out and get it done. She might be ready for launch in late February... or possibly early March ;)

Cheers

• Graham

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2005 at 1:06 AM

Bill's not the only one who's waiting ya know! o.O Great work so far!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.