Mon, Oct 21, 11:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: Poll: How far down is dead?

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 10:14 AM ยท edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:33 PM

Just out of interest. It seems to me that once a topic in this forum get to about #100 it's dead - no-one will see or reply to any new posts in that topic. I know some people have the option enabled only to see new posts, but I suspect that many don't have this enabled as it isn't the default. So - would you reply to a thread in this forum that's got a number higher than 50? Than 100? Than 200?

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 10:28 AM

I don't pay any attention to the numbers. It's the date that counts. Obviously, I'm not going to reply to a thread whose most recent post is dated 2002. But I'll post to a recently active thread, no matter how far down it is. Random passers-by probably won't see it, but others who posted to the thread will get e-bots.

Most common reason for a thread to come "back from the dead" is a newbie with a question. They search the forum, and if they find a thread about their problem, they often post to it, even if it's two years old. If I get an ebot, I'll answer if I can. Since they did the right thing by searching first, instead jumping right in with "why does vicky disappear when I try to dress her?" ;-)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 10:35 AM

I usually only scan back 3 or 4 pages - 100 topics or so, in other words. But if I get an ebot from a long dead post I answer it if possible.

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 10:41 AM ยท edited Thu, 23 December 2004 at 10:42 AM

But if I get an ebot from a long dead post I answer it if possible.

Doesn't it just kill you that you get an e-bot about something you replied to a year and a half ago, only to find out that the person posted ...

"Yeah, me too."

ROFL As far as the topic goes, I think the subject dictates the number of replies, and if the thread is still going strong, sure I'll join in.

Message edited on: 12/23/2004 10:42

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 11:43 AM

I recall a certain copyright infringement post concerning ByteMe0K that lasted, oh, at least 300-400 posts... Usually though, a topic will devolve either into an argument between two or three people, or will drift off into a subject that no one else could give a care about. I don't look at the number of replies so much as I look at who keeps responding to it. If it's the same folks responding to each other over and over again, and I already know what they're talking about in general, I leave it alone. /P

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 11:58 AM ยท edited Thu, 23 December 2004 at 12:00 PM

Two hits of the Next button. Beyond
that, I'll only respond to an ebot.
It's really a result of forum slowness. Each page change takes 10-15 seconds of waiting, and a real gamble on getting a Website Not Found error. If the forum software responded faster, I'd look farther.

Message edited on: 12/23/2004 12:00

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 1:19 PM

Anything past 50 will be inactive for me.

geep ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 2:08 PM

re: "why does vicky disappear when I try to dress her?" ;-) NaySayGuy has the opposite problem ... He asked me ... "Why duz dem gurlz disdappears wins Ah tries ta undress dem, huh, huh, huh?" Anyone know the answer ... anyone? ... anyone? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 2:13 PM

It depends upon my mood at the time.

Like most people, I tend to ignore old threads. If it's more than two days old - then it's elderly.

If it's more than a week old, then it's ancient history.

Instead of "dog years", perhaps we should adopt a new term: "forum years".

One or two people might be interested in things that I had to say two-three years ago. But it's extremely doubtful.

Something To Do At 3:00AMย 

geep ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 2:26 PM

NaySayGuy is interested ... ... but then, he's interested in everything. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 3:00 PM

"Doesn't it just kill you that you get an e-bot about something you replied to a year and a half ago, only to find out that the person posted ... 'Yeah, me too.'" I have that problem as well. ;) Making a note to come back to this thread in 18 months' time

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 3:11 PM

LMAO!!!

geep ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 3:22 PM
  • bookmark * (for Jan 1, 2006)

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 3:27 PM

what gets me is when someone decides to leave rosity "forever" and instead of quietly logging out for good , they embark upon a ridiculous campaign of deleting ALL of their old posts. and each deletion cause the old thread to show "new" acitivity and the main forum page shows alot of "new" posts that are not really posts but instead just alot of silly deletions by a disgruntled ex member.

My website

YouTube Channel

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 4:26 PM

Ditto Wolf.....but they always come back under another name LOL... I only back 2 pages, don't have the time or patience to toodle around. As far as responding to posts, I TRY to stay of controversial posts, but there it depends on what time of the month it is LOL. Usually then I try to avoid forums all together ;).

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 7:07 PM

"...instead just alot of silly deletions by a disgruntled ex member." ah, but then, see, they aren't actually, as an "ex-member" would simply go away. Wouldn't matter, anyway. I mean, they don't even remove the names of banned members from the site roster. Would make the number go down, y'know. "Why duz dem gurlz disdappears wins Ah tries ta undress dem, huh, huh, huh?"" ya gots t' stop using the pre-clothed models, nay say. I mean, really! "and a real gamble on getting a Website Not Found error" gamble? nah. Certainty. Go back three pages and it goes white. "Doesn't it just kill you that you get an e-bot about something you replied to a year and a half ago, only to find out that the person posted ... 'Yeah, me too.'" yeah! Me, too! "So - would you reply to a thread in this forum that's got a number higher than 50? Than 100? Than 200? " I reply to any thread I can contribute something to that pops up within the 50 or so I let this forum get to on unread posts. unless I just don't want to say the same thing for the 50th time, and don't feel like hunting up a link and saying "hey, lookie here..." But that's me. If the forum gets beyond 50 new posts (and I only see the latest), then I don't pay attention to those last few unless an ebot squirms into my email and the subject/poster still interests me.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

moochie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:43 AM

Many of the posts in the Poser Technical Forum don't really have a 'best before' date, since they continue to be useful and relevant long after they're posted and cease being added to. Yet, oddly, only 8 or so threads show. 'Next' and 'Previous' are not linked to sequential pages. It's only when you spot 'Archive' tucked away at the bottom that all the wisdom of the ancients becomes available. I guess it's a kind of test or quest. But to the casual surfer, seeing no obvious links to previous pages and the message 'posts 1-8 of 8', it looks like a mighty quiet place.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:10 AM ยท edited Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:11 AM

Wow - here's an interesting thing I found... I used search to hunt out an old topic, but the post that came up in the results had actually been deleted. (I should add that it was a post from someone else, not one of mine.)

So you can use the search function to find deleted posts, but not read them.

Merry Christmas. :-)

Message edited on: 12/24/2004 03:11

Message edited on: 12/24/2004 03:11

BAM ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 11:21 AM

I don't think that it can be done here, but I have always thought that a useful option would be to allow members to view only the subject of a thread and the number of replies instead of the subject and all the replies. That way, more could be viewed at once. I think that would facilitate people going back more than 50 threads.

Singular3D ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2004 at 8:44 AM

activate bookmark for dr. geep lol

geep ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2004 at 8:53 AM

Huh? . What? ...... whazzat? ... a mookbark? No, no, I should have set it for 2008. Dang keyboard ... must get new keycdkfweoi io;nugae;nuvfr. KRAP!!! ;=[

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.