Fri, Sep 20, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Church WIP (paper render)

TOXE ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 8:15 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:19 AM

file_161096.jpg

Hi guys! i'm working on a new "paper render" scene, but at this point i'm not completely satisfied... What i need to add or improve to reach a better result in your opinion? The model is a one piece created with vertex modeler and the light is one bulb with global illumination and indirect light. Every advice is very welcome:-) -TOXE

Vidar ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 8:21 AM

sorry,no advice from me,i like your paper render style images a lot.i would buy a toxe paper render book if you had one,always great work!!:)

falconperigot ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 8:34 AM

This is a great image TOXE, but two things strike me. First, in my opinion the image is too broad and would benefit from some more height, either by changing the camera or the proportions of the image. The other thing is... perhaps some congregation?... :-) I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Mark

TOXE ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 8:57 AM

file_161097.jpg

Thanks DAIGORO:-) The paper render book is a good idea! We'll se in the future:-) For now i'm working on a short movie based on this style, but you need to wait a lot to see it because i'm at the beginning:-P Mark, the congregation idea is very good, i'll put for sure some guys on the scene. Regarding the proportions, you're right again, but maybe i need to change the geometry. EXOT- hem.. -TOXE

bluetone ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 9:10 AM

I like this style alot! Do you have any tuts on creating this way? Great stuff! As to this scene... my only addition is that the pews seem to far apart. Shouldn't there be a center aisle and 2 sides, with the pews close enough that you can easily reach the one in front of you as you sit all the way back in the seat? Maybe a chandeleir or 2 as light scorces? Or sconces along the side pillars? Just my 2 cents... it's looking great and I'd love to see the animation when your done with it! :D

TOXE ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 9:22 AM

Hi bluetone! Thanks for your advices, i'll follow them:-) About the paper renders, i've explained this siple tecnique on 3Dxtract october issue. BTW, you need only to create a GI render and then apply in photoshop or using Parchment form DCG a NPR renbdering with only the outline signs. Remeber that it works fine only if you have creased edge... -TOXE

falconperigot ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 10:08 AM

I didn't like to suggest that the geometry needed changing but perhaps a simple adjustment in the Z scale would do the trick. Good to see that you've finally mastered duplication with symmetry. ;-) Mark

TOXE ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 10:32 AM

Yes Mark, i have understood, but if i enlarge the camera view, there are some details that aren't good (like the windows on the top side, that i've created only for the lighting) and maybe changing the geometry a bit it's necessary, but only on the top side. Regarding duplication with symmetry, i'm still in trouble because currently on mac os X the command don't work from keyboard shortcut... But i know that you mean other things, ehehe;-) -TTTTTTOXE (wow, it works fine with the T key!)

sailor_ed ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 2:16 PM

Along with more pews how about an altar?

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 5:20 PM

Looks good to me. The only thing I notice is maybe the pews and kneeling benches are too deep from front to back. Pews are not so deep and are usually much closer to the ones in front of them. You could probably fit a few more rows in if you tightened them up and this would help with the scale. Patrick Tuten

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 5:22 PM

The Wireframe Pro plug-in does origami renders nicely.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Animoottori ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 2:06 AM

Your style is great! I don't know if a colourful tiffany stained glass in the end of the church suits the style or if you can get it to fit to the dome but it could add to the mood which is strong already. How about little wings (not bird or angel wings but the kind that buildings have) that stretch to sides behind the dome so the overall shape of the church would be a cross. -HK

sigmadog ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 6:29 PM · edited Wed, 29 December 2004 at 6:29 PM

Traditionally, a church of this nature (looks to be Roman style) would have a center aisle for the priestly procession (or, if you prefer, think of a wedding procession - the bride shouldn't have to walk towards the alter from a side aisle, should she?). The pews should extend from the center aisle all the way to the arched columns with the outer walkway (or aisle) in the shadows between the arched columns and the outer walls. I agree also that the pews would normally be closer together front to back (although I'd personally prefer more space as it's easier to get around people that way in real life).

The sectioned arches seem a bit odd to me (straight edges, not round), but that is simply a stylistic factor that I would prefer.

I love the look of this render. The lighting and shadows are excellent. The paper texture makes all the difference. Overall, a wonderful achievement.

Message edited on: 12/29/2004 18:29

sfdex ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 6:43 PM

Very cool image. Yes, the tradition is to have a center aisle between the pews. And should there be little prayer or song book holders on the backs of the pews? It really does look like one of those paper model kits I built as a child. Those had some decoration printed on them, though -- things like detail on the columns that and such; I think such printed details would detract from the beautiful simplicity of this look, though. Looking forward to seeing more! - Dex

sigmadog ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 7:04 PM

Paper model kits! Oh, I get it now. Is that why the arches have straight edges? Now it makes sense. Forget my comment about the round arches. They look great. I'll try to pay attention next time.

sfdex ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:55 PM

Oh, and the other big difference between this and the kits I made as a kid is that there are no globs of glue that oozed out between some of the pieces!

ayodejiosokoya ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 6:29 AM

http://gkmotu.gfxartist.com/artworks/71342 Just seen this over at gfxartist.com. It reminds me of your work!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.