Tue, Oct 22, 1:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: A plea to the experienced to help the newbs!

emearg ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 12:13 AM · edited Sat, 19 October 2024 at 12:58 PM

Hi guys

I must admit I bought Poser 5 back in September 04.

I have not managed to produce one work that didnt use a file that already came with Poser 5.

What I really want to do as does any newbie is to collect and install files be it zips or purchased items and then load them onto the Poser 5 application and have fun

I can not find one tutorial that shows in plain and easy language how to do that.

A Dr Geep style tute would be good.

Step 1 - Step 2 - step 3 etc

My problem is I like to use Poser 4 files and there are plenty of free ones around for faces and characters? Most zipped. Similarly there are a Poser 5 freebies. Then there are ones u pay for ie DAZ. Everyone says DAZ is easy as they have there own built in installers. Even advice where to point the DAX file too would be useful so I can load a Vicky doll as I dont know whether to point the file towardes Poser 5 or Poser 5/Downloads?

Can we - as a forum - as this would benefit all newbs for ever into the future....do a forum style tute using screen dumps where someone with skill and good communication shows how to say take a poser 5 zip and load it into the Poser director correctly as well as a poser 4 zip and maybe a non zip file and THEN the big STEP:

How do you then get the item onto your Poser 5 application to use.

A simple - here is a poser 5 zip file - load it here eg# C/Program Files/Curious LAbs/ .......

wala

Now move this item to that folder and this file type to this folder and

wala

Now name this item this so you can find it easily in future ( ie orgainise your library tips)

NOW - all this is useless unless U (the newb) can use it on your Poser application so:

Here is how you load it up and use it (I gather we have to create thumbnails so we can recognise the item for future use but hey what do I know ....I and the one begging for hlp lol).

Please please please can someone help me. I am desperate for help installing files to my directory correct and then being able to set them up correctly in Poser 5 (and as I say I like to use any and all flies be it poser 5 or 4 zipped or unzipped so any help would be mega appreciated)....all my holidays is going to playing HALO as it is all I am good at on the computer after weeks and weeks or trying to find the clues and loading and unloading Poser 5 onto my system as I stuff up the installing of files.

Poser 5 looks so exciting but alas It looks like the preserve of the super talented to me.

So many stories wanting a system to bring them to life yet the newb cant get a single zipped bikini file to load yet alone anything more complex!

HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Anyone know if Poser Dymistified can train me to do this (supposedly simple) task?

Message edited on: 12/28/2004 00:18

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 1:12 AM

The daz files go in poser 5, point the installer to the poser 5 drawer. I hardly ever install anything to the downloads drawer if I can avoid it but that is a personal preference. Zips with the drawers in the file can be installed into the poser 5 drawer too but check that the drawers in the zip are the correct path it should start off Runtime/libraries if the path is correct. It is really quite simple.

emearg ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 4:41 AM

thanks xantor now how does one get the files from directory to say load onto the poser application so that u have thumbs eg# say for a pair of jeans/or a prop like a gun to add to your character or scen? which make it as easy to pick as the preloaded stuff that came with Poser 5 ie Dork and Judy clothes and poses etc Does your advice apply if the file (zip or non zip) is a poser 4 (I may like to use some poser 4 material even though i have Poser 5)?

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 4:57 AM · edited Tue, 28 December 2004 at 4:58 AM

I forgot to mention, click on "use folder names" to extract your zips properly.

The advice does apply to poser 4 stuff too, most of it works in poser 5 only a small amount has rendering problems. If the items are installed properly the thumbnails should appear automatically.

Message edited on: 12/28/2004 04:58

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 5:01 AM

You dont have to create thumbnails you only have to do that if you are making your own poser stuff. You dont have to be super-talented to use poser it is quite easy to use once you get used to it.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 6:19 AM

If I may add something here -- In addition to using the autoinstall that most zips provide, occasionally unzip something onto your desktop and then open it and see how it's arranged. Runtimes are pretty simple once you take a look under the hood, and you'll find that they follow a pretty set pattern of placement.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

emearg ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 7:04 AM

Thanks people - I shall put the advice to practice (was getting bored with Halo anyway lol)

Countach ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 12:48 PM

I have a shortcut to Poser 5 on my desktop. I unzip the folders to the desktop and put anything named "Runtime" in there.

gps ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2004 at 4:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ebonshire.net/tut-posb/index.php

You might want to have a look at the tutorials on Cresent's site - he's got one on poser file locations - plus he hosts 66 of geep's tutorials :)

Cheers

• Graham

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2005 at 5:14 AM

file_161016.jpg

A file that can be extracted to your poser 5 folder looks like this in winzip. GPS crescent is female and hosts a great free robot at her site, too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.