Wed, Sep 18, 10:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:38 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: which film was the first 3d film?

yaheli ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 7:24 AM · edited Fri, 06 September 2024 at 7:28 AM

Hi you all and merry christmas, I need to know for a project Im working on wat was the first 3d full length feature film ? was it "TOY STORY" of PIXAR and DISNEY?

deemarie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:00 AM

1995 - First fully computer-animated feature film, Toy Story, was created by Pixar and distributed by The Walt Disney Company.

kawecki ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 3:45 AM

I don't know about Japanese movies, most of them are completely unknown to us, time to time we discover one.

Stupidity also evolves!

Jaqui ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 4:54 AM

since every film ever made was filmed with 3d characters. what? you mean you are only 2 dimensional? flattie!!! ;-) by 3d you mean computer generated? or do you mean the one that has not been done. full walk around 360 degree projection ( hologram style )

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 9:41 AM

well the first 3D movie was creature from the black lagoon was'nt it? you sat there with the glasses on...

FrenchToast ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 10:56 AM

I'd have to say that it was "Tron".

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:42 AM

Actually, the 3D content in the first Star Trek movie was created before Tron

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:51 AM

Westworld 1973 First use of 2D computer digitized images as part of a feature film (infrared point of view of Gunslinger robot in Westworld). Futureworld 1976 First use of 3D computer graphics for animated hand and face. Used 2D digital compositing to materialize characters over a background. Star Wars 1977 First use of 3D vector graphics for the trench run briefing sequence. Superman 1978 First CGI film titles. Alien 1979 Used raster wireframe rendering for navigation monitors in the landing sequence. The Black Hole 1979 Disney uses CGI for the opening titles. Looker 1981 First CGI human character, Cindy. First use of shaded 3D CGI as we think of it today. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 1982 ILM computer graphics division develops "Genesis effect". Tron 1982 Extensive use of 3D CGI including the famous Light Cycle sequence. 2010: The Year We Make Contact 1984 CGI was used to create thousands of monoliths for the end sequence. The Last Starfighter 1984 Uses CGI for all spaceship shots, replacing traditional models. First use of 'integrated CGI' where the effects are supposed to represent real world objects. The Adventures of Andre and Wally B 1984 Lucasfilm's computer animation division creates an all-CGI animated short. The first CGI animation with motion blur effects. Lensman (SF Shinseiki Lensman) 1984 First anime to use CGI. Young Sherlock Holmes 1985 Lucasfilm creates the first photorealistic CGI character, 'stained glass knight'. The Great Mouse Detective 1986 First major use of computer animation in an animated film, the depiction of Big Ben's gears. Luxo Jr 1986 Pixar's first fully 3D animated short film. First use of shadows in CGI. First CGI film to be nominated for an Academy award. Max Headroom 1987 Computer-mediated live action figure. Willow 1988 Uses morphing in a feature film. The Abyss 1989 First 3D digital water effect. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 1989 First all-digital composite. Total Recall 1990 Use of motion capture for CGI characters. Die Hard 2: Die Harder 1990 First digitally-manipulated matte painting. Terminator 2 1991 First realistic human movements on a CG character. Lawnmower Man 1992 Death Becomes Her 1992 First human skin CG software. Jurassic Park 1993 First photorealistic CG characters. Babylon 5 1993 First television series to use CGI as the primary method for its visual effects. First TV use of virtual sets. The Flintstones 1994 First digital fur. ReBoot 1994 First computer animated television series. Waterworld 1995 First realistic CG water. Toy Story 1995 First CGI feature-length animation. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 1999 First CGI character ever to interact realistically with live actors. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within 2001 First realistic feature-length CGI movie. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (movie) 2002 First use of AI for digital actors (using the Massive software developed by Weta Workshop). The Matrix Revolutions 2003 Superpunch - the first realistic close-up of detailed facial deformation on a synthetic human. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow 2004 First movie with all-CGI backgrounds and live actors. The Polar Express 2004 First CGI movie that used performance capture for all actors.

yaheli ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2005 at 10:22 AM

Thank you very very much for the history leason :) and HAPPY NEW YEAR

bonestructure ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2005 at 2:44 PM

I should mention ROUGHNECKS: STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES 1998-99 as one of the most impressive 3D animation series shown on TV as well. All done in lightwave with some extremely impressive 3D work.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2005 at 3:20 PM

actually.. Max Headroom was Mat Frewer in makeup and manipulated by simple video effects.. no CG was involved...

FrenchToast ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 1:23 AM

"Actually, the 3D content in the first Star Trek movie was created before Tron " Was it really? I hadn't realized that. Tron is REALLY old.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 1:34 AM

so is star trek lol

Tilandra ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 1:41 AM

Ahem... Some of us were in high school when Tron came out... thankyouverymuch. :) Humph... old indeed.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 1:50 AM

I was in high school when Tron came out. I just thought that it was legitimately the first 3D movie that I had seen. Of course, Star Wars came out before THAT. I wasn't thinking that Star Trek used 3D animation as much as modeling. I could have sworn it would have been Tron.

Tilandra ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 1:57 AM

It would probably be good to specify which you're talking about too... computer generated images, and 3D. Because I thought of another example, but it's not older than trek. There's some very basic computer graphics generated in the movie "The Thing" (where you see the doctor's computer run a simulation of the alien cells taking over dog cells). They are flat, however. I just realized there were also probably some flat, computer generated images in the film "2001" which is (ACK!)exactly as old as me. It's been a while since I've seen the film though, might have it confused with something else, but I would think HAL's voice pattern display would count as computer generated, but not 3D.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 2:00 AM

I just figured that the 3D in Tron was a real 3D "world" looking kind of thing. Remember the racing bikes? For some reason I thought that it was supposed to be the big deal about the movie. That's why I remembered it.

Tilandra ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 2:07 AM

Well going by Bonestructure's post in the list above, it was actually ST II: Khan that had the CGI and it was released the same year as TRON, so I would imagine TRON is first, or close enough for me. I remember the hype too.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2005 at 5:00 AM

actually, ST2 came out first by several months. So technically it was first. The 3D in ST 2 was the demonstration of the effects of the Genesis project, remaking a world. Quite impressive at the time. Tron was the first to use an extensive 3D world interacting with actors. Not terribly impressive for me. The Last Starfighter was the first 3D use that really got my attention.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2005 at 9:14 PM

Well, as far as 3d film goes, Tron is most extensively 3d of all of the above [with the exception of The Last Starfighter]. For some reason, I hadn't even realized that the genisis effect was done with a computer.

bonestructure ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2005 at 10:03 PM

You probably don't realize that these days there's 3D in nearly every film you see. 3D has replaces matte painting in creating backgrounds. Skies are routinely changed using 3D. Buildings are put in with 3D. Crowd scenes. Actor's faces are routinely touched up. Seamlessly.

FrenchToast ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2005 at 7:19 PM

Well, I knew that.... I just didn't realize it before in the older movies.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.