Fri, Sep 20, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Some questions

Bill B ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 5:12 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:27 AM

Hey all, I have some specific needs and things I need to do in Photoshop I am hoping you all can help me with. I just got Photoshop CS. I have been using photo shop since V 3 but have for my normal use a probably only use about 40% of the tool set. So I am looking to accomplish the following. All of the following questions are related to images with people in them. I have played with quite a bit of Photoshops tools but just not getting what I need. I need to do these functions on the fly with lightning speed. 1. I need to be able to very quickly mask or select (hair, eyes, & teeth) I have been playing with the plug in Mask Pro 3. Is this the best and fastest plug in to use for good selecting? 2. After making the selections I then need to change the hair color (regardless of the original color) to light blond or silver grey. The hair MUST be natural and convincing as far as color. I must keep the highs and lows in the tones. What would be the best approach to doing this. And is there a plug in that would fit this bill. 3. I need to take any dark and light areas or colors in the image and get them to a average mid tone range. In other words I need the entire image to be in the same tonal range or value scale. If you think of the image as black and white and pick the most mid tone color what I need is to change the image to stay within a range of say 16 colors of black and white. So the darks are lighter and the lights are darker sort of thing. Any suggestion for plug ins or Photoshop commands would help so much. Thanks

aprilgem ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 9:31 PM

Attached Link: http://graphicfantastic.com/galleries/covers/senseofawoman.html

1. I use Corel KnockOut. I don't know which is better, but I like how my KnockOut works. 2. For color shifts, try the following tools under Image > Adjust: Hue/Saturation, Color Balance, Channel Mixer, Replace Color, and/or Variations. You might even try the Adjustment Layers version of these, so you don't permanently change the original. Anyway, some of those are what I used with the graphic linked above (the woman's hair was originally black), so I know they should work for you. You just have to play around with them to get what you want. 3. If I understand your question correctly, then Adjust > Curves is your best friend. Bring the top-right point down a little, and bring the bottom-left point up a little. I hope that helps! :)

retrocity ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 10:33 PM

Good points April, with the exception to the plugins mentioned (MaskPro and KnockOut) i am a control freak when it comes to tweaking things. I haven't found a "plugin" or "action" yet that gives me the control i get from doing it by hand. Sorry BillB, but having things "on the fly" and with "lightning speed" will cause you to give up something and often its "control". April, i like your idea of using "adjustment layers" this is a non-destructive approach which is ALWAY the best route when experimenting.

scott

aprilgem ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2005 at 2:47 AM

LOL, I'm a control freak with my Photoshop work, too. But I found KO to be quite the time saver and good for semi-transparent objects. There are at least 7 or 8 separate stock photos in the linked image above, and I used KO on at least 5 of those, champagne glasses included. I'd have broken down and cried if I had to do it all without KO. Don't get me wrong -- I still had to pay attention to detail in KO and "do it by hand" within the program itself; it was just faster for me with the plug-in. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.