Sun, Sep 22, 12:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: WIP - Field Gun

tonylynch ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2001 at 11:23 PM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 7:18 AM

file_140605.jpg

Working on a new model. Still needs some work, and detailing done, but I'm getting there. Comments are always appreciated.

willf ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 12:04 AM

Modeling on the Carrige looks great but too clean looking for the textures. Also, seems that the barrel is too big for the rest of the model, perhaps it's partially due to the focal length on the camera. Howitzers generally don't extend past the wheels by very much (if I recall correctly). All in all a great start, makes me want to do one some time.

ClintH ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 7:08 AM

Fantastic. Looking great! Regards, Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 10:09 AM

Nice model! I think the textures will help a great deal. Particularly on the wood. Depending on how new the cannon is supposed to look, I'd consider roughing up some of the spokes (like one had broken and been fixed by someone in the field) and particularly the axle pin -- it should look like it's been whacked in place with a sledge hammer and squashed on one end. (Aren't the axles on these things metal? I'm no expert, so if I'm off base here, disregard it.) Would love to see this bad boy at work in the field! I love seeing new technology give us a glimpse of the past. - Chip

graylensman ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 1:23 PM

Hmmm... maybe it's fresh off the train, along with new recruits off to taste the glory and adventure of war... the potential for irony could be great. Anyway, the modeling is first class. Can't wait to see it in a scene. tim

tonylynch ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 5:26 PM

Willf, thanks. I wasn't real happy with the barrel, especially after I noticed the bore was off-center. I've already redone it; it's the same length, but I think I have the taper done better this time. Good idea on the wood, I'll take my base map for the white oak and darken it up and add some smudges. Thanks Cliffh. Thanks Chip. I tried doing the axle pins to make them look like they'd been hammered, just wasn't happy with 'em. I'm gonna try again later tonight. As for what the axles are made of, I really don't know. I'm doing this from a line drawing from a book on weapons I have. I am going to the library this evening, maybe I'll check out a book on the Napoleonic Wars and see if I can find a better picture. Thanks Tim. What I may end up doing is one of each, one stressed with some battle damage/repairs and the other like you said right out of the garrison and heading into its first battle. Thank all of you for the tips and advice. Tony

willf ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 10:38 PM

Axels & carriges were made of wood for combat situations. Iron was used (mainly for the trucks) during peacetime only as it was considered too brittle. While at the library look for a book called: Round Shot and Ramers by Harold L. Peterson. Published by Bonanza Books, NY (Crown Publishing) LOC catalog # 69-16153. It has some great line drawings and blue-prints of muzzle loaders from early Spanish to the American Cival War (the military one, not the one being fought-out in the courts). If you can't find let me know & I'll email some plans to you.

tonylynch ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 9:59 AM

That's the one I grabbed, and I can see that I need to redo the carriage as well. Thanks again Willf!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.