Sun, Sep 22, 12:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What do you listen to when you Model/Render?

hoborg ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 6:25 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 1:07 PM

Just had a thought for a topic that I thought might be interesting. (read the topic :) ) It may be contoversial, and that's just what this place needs. Admittedly, I'm curious as to what everyone else listens to, but I tend to pick specific music to listen to when I work, so I thought everyone else might have some particular music, too. who knows? We might start a trend, typing what we are listening to currently at the end of the post. Anyway, just a thought. Hoborg [REM - Automatic for the People :) ]

Tuck3D ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 9:50 PM

Well...I Like to listen to what I call "Old Rock" Fleetwood Mac, Little River Band, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce. They people or bands that I consider knew what music is. Just my 2 cents worth.

graylensman ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2001 at 10:31 PM

Varies according to project and mood. From ambient stuff I've downloaded from mp3.com to B5 soundtrack to Green Day/Veruca Salt/Hole. (Hey, Hoborg, what did you think of "Up"?)

hoborg ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 12:42 AM

I don't have it, actually. I listen to their mid-stuff. You know, from Out of time through New Adventures in Hi-Fi. I listen to Pink Floyd a LOT when I work. It's like the ambient music and the awesome rock rolled into one. Especially Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and Wish You Were Here. I don't know if I could listen to metal/thrash. Too distracting. (PS. I love Jim Croce.)

ClintH ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 7:31 AM

Cool subject! I listen to Natalie Merchant a lot...her stuff really inspires me. Pink Floyd ;) Slipknot Marilyn Manson (AntiChrist Superstar) I fluctuate between real heavy and mellow. Depends on what I am doing and my mood. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 7:56 AM

Hoborg: Up is generally okay, grows after a few listenings. I prefer early R.E.M. myself (Chronic Town to Life's Rich Pageant- man, am i that old?) but alas, I have these only on vinyl. Oh yeah, toss in Quadrophenia and Jesus Christ Superstar (the stage version, not the film).

AzChip ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 9:11 AM

National Public Radio Geek, here! But with the W as our pres elect, now, and all those soundbites from him, I can't stand it any more. So, when I'm listening to music it's usually computer based -- Underground Technology Boy, Kraftwerk, Enigma, that range of stuff. Love JCS (stage) and Floyd, too. Particularly fond of Alan Parsons Project, as well -- very cinematic rock. Also, check out Alek Vila's Love in Color -- (racingheart.com). Manson is just too distracting for me to work to -- like listening to him when I'm in one of "those" moods, though.... Lensman -- you have them only on vinyl? You ARE that old! :o)

tonylynch ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 10:24 AM

I'll generally listen to Gaelic (modern/traditional), or classical. I'm pretty good at tuning things out when I'm working (just ask my wife), so I'm not overly picky about who/what it is, just like something in the background. Tony (No, I wasn't listening to Tchaikovsky when I was working on the cannon.) ;-)

Nazgul ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 12:02 PM

92.3 K-ROCK in New York - ALL DAY LONG!

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 12:49 PM

Hey, Chip! "I Robot" kicks positronic ass! Also loved the pyramid album (title escapes me). Manson I can't stand: the spooky "I'll eat Jesus and your parents" stuff strikes me as rather juvenile (don't mean to flame anyone; just doesn't work for me). When I'm in one of "those" moods, I'll maybe put on a Joy Division record (there's that vinyl again!). Or if I wanna hurt someone else, Husker Du. (Sorry. The umlats didn't work.)

keithw ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 12:49 PM

what I listen to varies with my mood. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Enya, Fleetwood Mac and Old Radio Shows. Keith

litst ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 3:14 PM

I listen to my hard drive !!! Crr crr crr ...

brenthomer ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 3:26 PM

In college I listened to music all the time when I worked on creative things. Problem was someone presented a paper on musical influences and art and ever since then I have quit listening to music when I am creating personal things. It may sound weird but I noticed a trend with my own work and how different music affects me. I am FAR from being an artsy farsty type of guy but I believe that a lot of true creativity comes from inside you. And when I listen to music it can change my mood and my thinking process. On the other side, when I do work for clients (more so with video type stuff) I always ask for musical influences and try to listen to that type of music when I do the projects. When I do listen to music I like groups like prodigy, fluke, fatboy slim etc....I find electronic music rather fascinating.

hoborg ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2001 at 7:02 PM

I can't listen to Antichrist Superstar while I work. I find Mechanical Animals to be more... mathematic. Same with Floyd. Can't listen to Dark Side while I work. I like Natalie Merchant, too, Clint, but I don't have any records of her. Chip, I find techno a little distracting, unless it's the uber-music of Kraftwerk (esp Pocket Calculator). I don't like Jesus Christ Superstar that much, but I have a soft spot for Godspell. I guess that wraps up my opinions. Hoborg Ps Vinyl rocks. I can totally tell the difference with CDs. (and ESPECIALLY MP3s)

graylensman ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2001 at 7:34 AM

The thing about vinyl that CDs/MP3s lack is that they grow old with you. I've got Quadrophenia on vinyl and MP3, and the pops and hisses on the vinyl are like being with an old friend. Yup, pure sound quality is much better IMHO digitally, but the nostalgia factor is big... "I'm so young, so goddamn young..."

dethblud ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2001 at 5:44 PM

I have an eclectic list of things to listen to when I am working. For example, I am currently listening to zeppelin, but it varies between that and things like industrial (Nitzer Ebb etc.), synth pop (VNV Nation etc), movie soundtracks (Matrix etc.), rockabilly (Horton Heat etc.) and a bunch of other stuff.

3ddave44 ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2001 at 7:41 PM

I've usually got on film scores - John Williams (Jaws, Raiders, ET, etc) down to early 30's and 40's films by Max Steiner (King Kong), Franz Waxman (Rebecca), Korngold (Adventures of Robin Hood). ...with forays into Kate Bush - altogether pretty nerdy huh? : ) My father's a fairly well known jazz musician though named Howard Johnson so I guess sometimes I have him on too. : )

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.