Sun, Sep 15, 11:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Need some help, advice, comments etc...two things here.

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:39 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 11:32 AM

I am trying to make a bridge similar to the one shown sketched (not my own sketch I have to admit). I cannot work out how I could do this with bryce primitives, which is my normal way, but have made a start with a terrain and some booleaned cylinders. Does it look as though it would work, given that the bridge is the focal point of the image I have in mind, with a little more work. How would I texture it, to give the effect of a coping stone layer at the top? At the moment this is a brick texture applied object cubic. Also has anyone seen a model which would be similar to the cart shown in the other pic, or will I have to try making of of them also. Please don't suggest wings or anything like that, my modelling skills are zilch, if I had tried to model teh cube I would have got crooked sides :-). Thanks for any help you can give me.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:41 AM

file_180857.jpg

Oops helps if include the sketch etc. Interesting that you can't edit a post to include the forgotten image.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

pogmahone ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:57 AM

It's a very nice bridge. The buttresses make it an interesting shape, don't they? My guess is that there's no alternative but to make every capstone individually :^( Unless you could make a path to multireplicate along? The jaunting car will be fun to make in Bryce (not!)

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 5:12 AM

Yup, interesting, its a very old bridge. This particlar one is actually on the Welsh marches, a place called Clun. on the same river as the famous Iron Bridge. There are still a few of these around in various places in UK, and I felt it could translate to Ireland very easily. Apparently the buttresses are actually places for pedestrians to get out of the way of horses, as its a packhorse bridge, so they have to be hollow as they join the bridge itself. I guessed you would recognise the Jaunting cart.

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 6:15 AM

file_180859.jpg

Chohole, if you interested I'd like to give you my bridge. Perhaps you have use of it. Jimi

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 6:50 AM · edited Sun, 06 February 2005 at 6:52 AM

file_180860.jpg

That is a very nice bridge, and I could possibly use it at some stage or the other. I have several images in my mind, and this could well help out one of them. Not this particular image though. It has to be a small bridge, literally only wide enough for a horse and cart to cross, hence the little bits for people to jump into to get out of the way. The bridge actually connects the two parts of the old town, and the river is not very wide at this point. The bridge still exists. Its a very generous offer, and I may take you up on it, thankyou.

Message edited on: 02/06/2005 06:52

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 7:19 AM

I was on a bridge like this in England last summer. Those bits that you use to step out of traffics way are very handy! :-D

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 8:25 AM

file_180862.jpg

It could even be the same bridge Ang, because I know visited with the Bryster whilst you were over, and this bridge is on the Welsh borders. Have refined it a bit, its looking a bit better.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 8:29 AM

I did a version of a bridge in Castle Coomb a few years back. Looking at it now, it's not so good (crap even), but same kind of idea. Maybe I'll re-do it now I've learnt a bit more.
GalleryThumb491534.jpg

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 8:32 AM

Chohole, your bridge looks great! J.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 8:46 AM

It's fantastic. You gonna share?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 9:05 AM

Sure I will share, I am flattered you asked. As it stands at the moment its just 2 terrains, both at 512 res. Now how do I share it? I don't have a website. The b5 file is just under 4mb. And how would I stand with the mats. The bridge is a combo of a brick mat I d/led from somewhere with one of electro's mossy mats in the 2nd channel and a standard b5 mat in the3rd. The road is a rock mat I again d/led from somewhere. I guess I could find the original downloads and ask the peeps if they mind me doing this, but it might take a while.

blonderella ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 9:24 AM

I modeled my first half barrel in Wings3D the other day and my modelling skills are zilch! nothing else useful to add, sorry ;P

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 9:26 AM

Just two terrains?! /me throws away his modelling tools...

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 9:53 AM · edited Sun, 06 February 2005 at 9:54 AM

Well OK Jimi...two terrains and some booleaned cylinders....sorry forgot that bit.

Message edited on: 02/06/2005 09:54

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 10:49 AM

well, since you eliminated Wings, I'm not sure what I can do to help..;) might check Poser or Vue freebies for something..Rodluc's done some castles, he might have a bridge, but I don't remember right..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Erlik ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 12:49 PM

file_180864.jpg

If you want this... It's actually a recreation of the old Mostar bridge, without the buildings on the ends. I'd also need to remap it. As to the carts, check planit3d.com and the awesome models by Helmut Schaub.

-- erlik

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 12:56 PM

I am a great fan of Helmut Schaub, but have to admit I am unlikely to find amodel like this cart anywhere. It is an Irish jaunting cart, and I don't think it is known anywhere else. I guess ishould ost a request for a mesh on the appropiate link. Ah yes it does still exist, wonder of anyone ever visits?

Redfeather ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 1:22 PM

Wow lots of great bridges here. kinda makes me wanna go cross the big pond and bring a camera. most of the old style iron bridges here are getting replaced by no personallity flat cement slabs.

jedswindells ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 7:06 PM

Yes,terrains are the best for this project.If you ^D to duplicate the brickwork and paint out all but the top courses you may be able to create a layer of coping stones! Good luck with it! Jed.

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2005 at 6:43 AM

Chohole, I modeled a jaunting cart for you, so dont go nuts looking for one. I have to upload it to my site. Im a little too tired right now to start renaming all the parts so I hope you dont mind. When you get it into Bryce, just hover your mouse over any given area to select it then give the object any material you want. Ill post a few pictures of it after I upload it. I wont put it in FreeStuff until after you create your image with it.

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2005 at 7:00 AM

Quest, that is really nice of you. As my Irish forebears would say "bejaysus, tis the grand man you are" Thankyou so much Slainte

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2005 at 7:38 AM · edited Mon, 07 February 2005 at 7:40 AM

file_180865.jpg

Okay, a few things first. The model was built in 3D Studio Max but exported as a WaveFront .obj file. Don't forget to smooth the geometry in Bryce. If you import the cart into Poser it will be smaller than the default figures. The figures will fit perfectly when scaled down to 33%. Same thing with the horse figure, 33%. I guess that means that to get it into Poser you could rescale it to 133%, I didnt try it. I used the default Poser 4 horse figure to help scale the cart. If you decide to repose the horse to some other pose, obviously, the cart parts wont fit. I havent tried it but you might be able to attach some of the parts to the horse like the blinders and the reins harness assembly after ungrouping in Bryce, Ill leave that up to you. Again, I havent renamed any of the model parts so choosing individual parts isnt as easy but far from impossible. If you get stuck and have problems, let me know, Ill rename and resave the model to make it easier for you but you must give me some time. Oh, BTW, I ran into some nice Irish sites that you might be interested in:

Eyes on Ireland

Carriages

BlarneyVillage

Drop me a line when youve used it in your image and posted so that I can put the cart up in freestuff for the rest of the folks.

Ive IMed you the download site location. Have fun with it.

Edited to say, the horse is not included. Use the default Poser 4 horse.

Message edited on: 02/07/2005 07:40

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.